Just ordered Mode Machines Professor V2 (Prophet 5/Repro-5) MIDI controller :)

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Check it out:

https://www.modemachines.com/professor-v2

Discontinued years ago, but I picked one up on Ebay Australia from a reputable company new for £250 inc postage.

Spoke to the tech support guys at Mode Machines who were really helpful and told me:
I'm not sure it will work with the repro-5 but it probably should.

The Professor V2 is a class-compliant USB-MIDI device which SHOULD work out of the box without any drivers with practically every USB host. The USB-MIDI engine inside is a Ploytec GM5 IC: https://www.usb-audio.com/gm5/

(They claim compatibility with Linux and so far I haven't heard anything contrary.)
There is one left in stock if anyone else wants one. I will report back here to confirm it is working well with Repro-5.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks for the heads up. This looks very interesting!

I'm very interested in your reports.

I have one too and it's definitely fun to play with!

Some knobs are a tad too close and I think I had to MIDI Learn some stuff slightly differently, but overall it was a good jam.

Urs wrote: I think I had to MIDI Learn some stuff slightly differently
Does it sent 14-Bit CCs?

Garrincha wrote:
Urs wrote: I think I had to MIDI Learn some stuff slightly differently
Does it sent 14-Bit CCs?
I haven't hooked it up in a while.... I think it was just 7 bits...?

David Else wrote:There is one left in stock if anyone else wants one.
Not anymore since I just bought the last one - actually my wife bought it as a Christmas gift for me ;)

There is another one on Ebay from a different dealer though.

@Urs, Great news it works!
@Garrincha, It is 7 bit, this is what the tech support told me:
The Professor V2 uses indeed standard MIDI controllers. It can also be re-programmed to adapt it for different plugins; and the application for this is conveniently also available for Linux (though I haven't tested this myself). Output of the Professor is 7bit. My guess is that it was prototyped on an Arduino (it uses the Atmel ATmega 328P) which has only a built-in 10bit ADC.

Garrincha wrote:
David Else wrote:There is one left in stock if anyone else wants one.
Not anymore since I just bought the last one - actually my wife bought it as a Christmas gift for me ;)

There is another one on Ebay from a different dealer though.
Well done, you got in there quick, happy Christmas :)

The Ebay company I ordered mine from, rhythm_active in Australia, seem to have updated their stock and say they now have 3 left... and the 'watching' number has increased...

David Else wrote: The Ebay company I ordered mine from, rhythm_active in Australia, seem to have updated their stock and say they now have 3 left... and the 'watching' number has increased...
Yes, I noticed that too. But the also increased the price.

That cute little thing makes a sexy Micro-Prophet together with Repro-5!
Repro-5 will be my goto VA poly synth from now on and that Professor box will come handy.

Currently I use the knobs and sliders from my Novation Impulse (which has only 7-bit resolution either). The sliders work very well as "drawbars" for virtual organs but for synths I just can't remember what I have mapped to which slider and button. So the Professor is just what the doctor ordered ;)

Again thanks for the heads up!

Got one some months ago from UK waiting for the moment repro-5 releases... :D
Its nice but I had to made some "adjustments"... The panel graphics, specially the knobs scales are misaligned with the knobs. You have some "movement" in the front panel for better adjusting this if you loose the front screws, but then the front panel squared holes for the buttons are too tight and the buttons stuck witht he borders of the holes. So I take out the front and enlarged the switches holes with a file.

The next problem I had is the peofessor going nuts and sending random CCs almost continously... Tried a "new" driver from the Ploytec website ans seem to cure that.

Now its working and its a joy to use with repro-5, it really gives you a different experience since you can eCreate and edit sounds withnyour monitor turned off... The hardware workflow...

I've got a problem with this thing:

Some knobs sent the same MIDI-controller number, so it's pretty useless right now. There is a software for the Professor on the Modemachines Webseite, which looks like you could reprogram the controller assignment. Unfortunately it doesn't run on my Windows 10 64-bit system.

Did anybody get this software to run and on which system? I could set up one of my older laptops to try and get this to work, but I need to know which Windows I might need.

klinik wrote: The next problem I had is the peofessor going nuts and sending random CCs almost continously... Tried a "new" driver from the Ploytec website ans seem to cure that.
I've got that problem too. Which driver do you use exactely? The one I found is pretty old and doesn't install on my Windows 10 box.

Looks perfect, other than the price. Factoring in the cost of REPRO itself, it comes out to be $455. For $44 more, One could get the Roland System - 1, which I believe has controls for nearly every parameter including effects, as well as being synth it’s own right. But that green...

... for sure this is way sexier though. I wish more companies would make these kind of dedicated controllers but I guess the market is too small.

Garrincha wrote:I've got a problem with this thing:

Some knobs sent the same MIDI-controller number, so it's pretty useless right now. There is a software for the Professor on the Modemachines Webseite, which looks like you could reprogram the controller assignment. Unfortunately it doesn't run on my Windows 10 64-bit system.

Did anybody get this software to run and on which system? I could set up one of my older laptops to try and get this to work, but I need to know which Windows I might need.
Thts strange... the default settings have different Cc numbers for each knob/button.
I used the software and changed all the CCs, worked fine in my win7 x64 system.
About the driver this is the driver I`m using:
http://www.usb-midi.com/terrasoniq_MIDI_OneII.zip

Hope it work for you!

Happy Xmas!

If it's not running in Windows 10, be sure to try the "Compatibility Modes" in Windows.

Return to “u-he”