Repro-5: free patches thread

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Repro

aaron aardvark wrote:Last night I had a chance to use the free patches that are shared on this thread. Thank you to everyone that shared (everyone had patches I liked), especially Ingo, who had so many to share. I have played a real Prophet 6 about a year ago, and a Prophet 600 in the mid eighties, though I don't think I've ever played a real Prophet 5. Though I have owned u-he's French competitor for years: that inspired me to see how Repro-5 compared to the French competitor for the Uniglide with Resonance patch: they sound rather different from one another at the same settings. I may do more comparisons in the future like that. Let's keep this thread going people! :)
A point is that i used Arturia Prophet V since around 11 years and now that Repro-5 is out i finally started to realize that a few things in the Arturia plugin indeed might be wrong or not done 100% properly. Before Repro-5 was i out i thought the difference would be smaller and for certain patches they could indeed come very close.
More or less it was a similar experience with The Legend compared to older Minimoog emulations.

As i tried to mention in another thread the differeces are the usual ones like high resonance, FM and filter FM which are more less a general problem with older emulations. Also PWM might sound a bit different in Prophet V and Repro-5.
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

You're 11 years late, Arturia's emulations were never that good in the first place. :P

EvilDragon wrote:You're 11 years late, Arturia's emulations were never that good in the first place. :P
I will not participate in the usual Arturia bashing. Even if the Minimoog and Prophet 5 might be replaced by other plugins for me now they still offer a bunch of interesting other synths that so far do not have replacements with the same quality as e.g. Repro-5. FWIW I would be happy to see a dedicated Matrix 12 emulation from U-He but so far Arturia got the only attempt on this one. Talking about Prophet V this includes the Prophet VS and the hybrid synth which are still great on their own.

On the other hand it took more than 10 years until another Prophet 5 emulation was able to replace Prophet V for me. For software synths this is a VERY long time.

If we talk about the CPU use vs sound quality ratio most Arturia plugin are still great anyway which is also true with the Prophet 5 plugin. Without multicore support activated Repro-5 uses around 10 times the CPU amount of Prophet V3.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

It's not bashing, it's a fact... Their emulation is not at all at the level of u-he, Xils, TAL, Synapse, and this can most definitely be heard, and even seen on oscilloscope. As sound making machines, they can certainly be serviceable, but for the exact emulation, nope, not really.

But anyways.

Can we keep ontopic, thanks. :pray:

EvilDragon wrote:You're 11 years late, Arturia's emulations were never that good in the first place. :P
In case your opinion about Arturia synths was formed a few years ago. There was an update that enhanced the sound quality some time ago. To me they nowadays sound usable. Not U-He like stellar but usable.

...which is exactly what I'm saying. I never said they aren't usable. I'm saying there are much better plugins out there from the aspect of emulation accuracy.

Ingonator wrote:Attached is a small collection of 3 Synth Brass patches i created with Repro-5 "from scratch". More patches will hopefully follow soon.
I just created an audio demo with some "spontaneous noodling" using a layer of the "Prophetic Brass IW" Repro-5 patch i posted here and my "IW Jupiter Mellow Strings" Jupiter 8 synth strings patch included with the U-He Diva factory presets (that i created during the firt public beta if Diva).

Here is the demo:
Ingo Weidner - A Prophet At Ganymede v1

External FXs used with this are Lexicon MPX Native Reverb for both patches and the ERS Dim D (= Dimension D) Chorus for the Jupiter 8 synth strings.
Ingo Weidner

I Want to Break Tree

Forgive the bad playing, I'm really tired and it's late on Brazil :)

https://clyp.it/40uqr3p2

I love the nasal quality of this patch on OPX Pro 2, and can't get it 100% right on other synths. But maybe the problem it's me! Here's my attempt on Repro-5.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

waltercruz,
Thank you for the patch, I will try it out later.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Here's a few quick patches I threw together.
  • Toto Brass (No need to explain which Song I was inspired from, I guess)
  • MJ's Stringy Brass 2 - this one sounds a lot like Michael Jackson, just fully crank up the modwheel and hit the thriller chords ;)
  • MJ's String Brass - this was half way along creating the sound from above and is a nice, funky brass patch that lets you control the vibrato via modwheel
The Repro-5 is truely amazing! As is Howard Scarr, his Sounds are astounding, big props to him!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joe_b,
Thank you for the free patches, I will try them in the near future. :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Ingonator wrote:(This was already posted in another thread today:)

Attched to this post you find the first more or less "raw" version of the 38 factory presets from the patch sheets in the Prophet 5 Rev3.3 manua. The "Brass 2" patch is a variation of the "Brass" patch and that variation is mentioned in the patch sheet.

I used a "v2" at the end of the patch names as i also used some advanced features in Repro-5 like e.g. voice panning, velocity, aftertouch routing and Reverb FX.

With some patches i tried to fine tune using audio demos found in the web and also the presets in Arturia Prophet V3. Most patches are still "raw" without fine tuning which means they mostly use the setting from the patch sheets. Still in Repro-5 they do alraedy sound mostly great IMO.

With patches where having the Modwheel engaged is important i saved a certain mod amount with the patches using the small red arrow left to the Modwheel in Repro-5. With many patches i also routed aftertouch to the mod amount.

Will try to fine tune them further if i find some time but i will not waste too much time on that. Without a real Prophet 5 Rev3.3 for comparison it is difficult to do this properly. Audio demos and presets in Arturia Prophet V3 are mostly quite different for the same patches so i do not have the "ultimate" reference for corrections yet. Also audio demos for older Rev1 and Rev2 might not really fit to those in Rev 3.3.

UPDATE:
A common source for audio demos is Synthmania:
http://www.synthmania.com/Prophet-5%20(Rev.3).htm
Some of those audio demos are difficult to use for the purpose of fine tuning patches.

A video with P5 factory presets:
https://youtu.be/NoxHu1BVT-Q
The new Reease candidate of Repro-5 includes the Prophet 5 factory presets in te "1078 historic" sub folder. I have not compared all of them to my own approaches yet but there would be a few reasons for me to keep my own ones too. Those are:

- Even if they sound different to those included in Repro-5 and/or in teh real thing they might be still usable "as is" and could be used as variations

- I had used some advanced features of Repro-5 (e.g. aftertouch, panning, effects) while those in Repro-5 factory presets seem to be are mostly "dry" without effects and voice panning added

- The patches in the Repro-5 factory presets all seem to use the Modwheel amount at minimum while i added and saved a certain amount of modulation for patches where this is necessary (mostly for those this was also mentioned in the patch sheets). Due to that there might be a bigger difference with several patches i re-created until you use the Modwheel in the Repro-5 presets.
Ingo Weidner

Yes, the presets in 1978 Historic are the "raw thing". They don't use anything that the Prophet 5 didnt have.

...which is exactly the point of having exact factory patches, especially for 1:1 comparisons.

Return to “u-he”