Sending CV from Bazille

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

At the risk of giving away the recipe to my secret sauce I am posting this here in the hopes that I can get Urs to chime in and maybe even update Bazille at some point, hahaha!

So sending complex LFOs via an Expert Sleepers ES-3 is no problem at all and works great. I fell back in love with Bazille after discovering this as it has saved me tons of room in my eurorack. In hardware I would need VCAs, LFOs, Envelopes, Oscillators to acheive what I can with just my ES-3 using Bazille. Unfortunately I have not had the same experience sending envelopes from my ES-3. I must be doing something wrong or Bazille is just not made for this sort of thing.

Anyone have any advice?

Urs, if you are reading this please look into making Bazille a more complete modulator for external hardware. Sending triggers from end of rise, end of decay, etc. from your envelopes in Bazille would be incredible. Any advice you might have for getting the most out of Bazille as a modulator would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DC signals are filtered from Bazille's outputs (like an audio interface with AC coupling caps on the outputs). Signals from the envelopes, sequencers, sample & hold, quantizer and mod mapper will not work as you would expect when sent directly to the outputs. I think there was some discussion about encoding DC signals using pulse width modulation or something but I totally forget the details.

There have been lots of requests over the years for a multi-output version of Bazille that doesn't filter DC signals, so it can be used to control hardware modules. Urs himself has a pretty nice Euro system. I think he's got other priorities at the moment but I do hope for a monophonic version of Bazille one day, which doesn't need note input to pass signals and which can pass DC signals. Something similar to Zebrify but working more like a hardware modular. IUrs has described some really cool ideas in that regard but they are probably a ways off.

BTW, LFOs will also be filtered to some extent. The wave shape will deform at LFO rates that are lower than the cutoff frequency. At really low rates, the amplitude of the LFO will be reduced and it will start to look more like a slewed square wave, as the signal drops to ground (0v).

Thanks for your reply. I usually use the filter to take care of the wave shapes. The DC filtering makes total sense. A convenient little switch on the Tweaks page would be good for that. It looks like I might just have to pick up Reaktor blocks which is unfortunate as I was hoping I might have all I need to create complex modulations in the box. Silent Way is great but can't get nearly as complex as Bazille. Clocked Oscillators as LFO's being cross modulated is tons of fun and sounds amazing. C'mon Urs, you know this would be sick! Add offsets and inversion for control signals and this would be the go to software modulator.

By the way your preset collection for Bazille was very nice, thanks again for your reply.

suburbanthug wrote:A convenient little switch on the Tweaks page would be good for that.
I know... I know... :oops:

suburbanthug wrote:By the way your preset collection for Bazille was very nice, thanks again for your reply.
Nice of you to say. :oops:
I was an early adopter of Silent Way and even before that I was sending modulation signals from Reason and Reaktor to my old MOTU 828 to control analog synths. It's a revelation to have high-res, sample-accurate modulations coming from the computer. Now I mostly use the CV I/O features in Bitwig with an ES-3, ES-6 and MOTU 828mk3 to control my modular... but CV features in Bazille would be most welcome. Particularly for stuff like the sequencer and mod mappers. The quantizer in Bazille is also something that is pretty unique. I don't think there are any quantizers in euro that work the way the one in Bazille does. Urs, any chance you'll start making modules? That would be my first pick!

It's great to see developers thinking about how their software can interact with hardware. I think that will be necessary for the continued growth of the hardware modular market. Better integration and easier setup will be critical to keeping non-synth nerds interested. I'm not sure if u-he has a role to play in that but I always love discussing ideas.

Bitwig! That is another option but I am nervous to make the leap from Ableton. It's modular nature is very appealing to me. Are you able to frequency modulate clocked LFO/Oscillators to send CVs? I imagine it can do most of the other things that Bazille is capable as far as modulating CVs.

Just a little friendly bump! I sent the U-he team a little request in a support ticket today. With it's built in oscilloscope Bazille could be the perfect software to hardware modulator! And we all know this little thing called eurorack ain't going away anytime soon, haha!

Wait, Bazille can output non-audio signals (e.g., LFOs, ADSRs, ramp, tap map)? Maybe this is a noob question, but how?

No, sending modulation signals to the outputs will not work. As mentioned above, Bazille's outputs filter DC signals. If you send an LFO to Bazille's audio outputs, you will see in the scope that the LFO does not retain it's shape.

Oooooh I see, we're talking about sending mod signals directly to the output and hoping that the audio signal that comes out would = the mod signal. I had misunderstood. That would be quite the creative little hack. Too bad I guess it doesn't work that way.

Urs wrote:
suburbanthug wrote:A convenient little switch on the Tweaks page would be good for that.
I know... I know... :oops:
If I remember correctly, the really early free alpha version even had that DC switch, didn't it? I could be wrong, it has obviously been a few years since then.

Yo, is there really a DC switch in an alpha or beta?? I think I still have those files laying around...

Return to “u-he”