Repro V1.1 Release Candidate #2 Rev 6794

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Just installed previews (I was actually being devilish and I installed it in NBPL folder where they will end up eventually when NBPL gets an update, under folder that matches Repro-5 UPID, 57d74b28-34ae-11e7-a919-92ebcb67fe33 :)).

They are quite louder than Repro-1 previews. Assuming they weren't normalized to -19 LUFS and -3 dB peak.
Well, they were approved by NI. So we're good :clown:
I actually went and normalized all of them... it's fairly easy in Reaper :)

For anyone who wants them (also feel free to use these for actual release): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IcZYx ... nfIk_n-zjM

I did notice that a decent amount of these previews have a nasty click/DC offset on them. Some end up abruptly. A lot of them have quite a lot of silence too (although that's less of a problem with a compressed format like OGG).

EvilDragon wrote:I did notice that a decent amount of these previews have a nasty click/DC offset on them. Some end up abruptly. A lot of them have quite a lot of silence too (although that's less of a problem with a compressed format like OGG).
When you don't render any silence after creating the instance, Repro "turns on". Just like many electric applicances, it clicks, i.e. has short DC offset. We tried to avoid that, but the workflow that NI suggest doesn't let us.

As I said, in future we'll add more elaborate means to create previews, either with a toolchain we build ourselves, or right form within our soft. Then we've more freedom to avoid these issues.

Nice! Whenever that happens it'll be pretty awesome. :)

Already emailed support, they were kind enough to let me know this version was up.. energyXT 32bit running perfect :-) had to post here in appreciation, come on no company has ever gone to this extent, Merry Christmas

Urs wrote: We have an all new Release Candidate!
yes!
Yes!
YES!
holiday´s coming, holiday´s coming...

thank to the whole u-he team making my Xmas this year great again :tu: :party: :ud: :love:

I also made little advertising in the german recording-forum, hehe

a very very peaceful Merry Christmas to all @u-he and the nice guys/girls(?) here in KVR-forum,
regards,
The Sarge!

Can anyone help me understand what the "Voice Index" modulation source is?

In Unison mode it is the voice number. So voice #1 gets -100% and voice #5 (or whatever the highest voice nbr is) gets +100% modulation amount.

It can be used to make the sound even fatter eg. by slightly modifiying the envelope times, filter settings, etc. per unisono voice.

Thanks Chris. I googled "voice index modulation" but didn't find anything. Sounds like this could be useful for modulating polyphonic targets. If I understand correctly, you could use it to create differently timed envelopes for each unison voice? Hmmmmmm....

...But after experimenting with it for a bit...modulating the depth of "Osc B Amount" to Filter Cutoff from within the Voice Mod panel, I noticed that you can also use "Voice Index" without unison. Strange though: when holding down a single note, you can only hear modulation happening with some notes and not with others. It becomes a lot more noticeable when you hold down several notes. Interesting results. I would really like to be able to understand what's happening a little better though.

Yes, it also works in non-unison. In this case the setting re-allocation on the tweak page is important.

Oh, I think I get it now. Voice Index seems to be a bipolar source, just like you said Chris, -100 to 100%...

Without unison, those bipolar values are iterated from minimum to maximum percentage and those sequenced values are repeated over and over in accordance with how many voices are active, and how many notes you play. So, if you've got 6 voices of polyphony, and you play six notes in a row, minimum to maximum values are then spread across those 6 notes, one at a time, low to high (or high to low, depending on the direction of modulation). But if you have 6 voices active, and you play a chord with 3 notes, then the first 3 bipolar values are spread across those 3 notes. Play another 3 note chord, the next 3 values are assigned to those notes, and the next note you play will return to -100%.

Very unique concept. I wonder who first thought of it :D

For u-he synths it's nothing new. Even the free Tyrell N6 has it. :D

Sound Author wrote:Oh, I think I get it now. Voice Index seems to be a bipolar source, just like you said Chris, -100 to 100%...

Without unison, those bipolar values are iterated from minimum to maximum percentage and those sequenced values are repeated over and over in accordance with how many voices are active, and how many notes you play. So, if you've got 6 voices of polyphony, and you play six notes in a row, minimum to maximum values are then spread across those 6 notes, one at a time, low to high (or high to low, depending on the direction of modulation). But if you have 6 voices active, and you play a chord with 3 notes, then the first 3 bipolar values are spread across those 3 notes. Play another 3 note chord, the next 3 values are assigned to those notes, and the next note you play will return to -100%.

Very unique concept. I wonder who first thought of it :D
Wow! Thanks for sharing your findings. This should provide for some realistic piano patches among other fun things. I will be getting no sleep tonight!

Glad you found it helpful, clangrous. Also, as Chris pointed out, voice reallocation is really important too. I just got my head wrapped around it. Let's say you've got 4 voices active. With "Reallocate" switched on, the first 4 notes you play will be remembered. If you just play those same exact 4 notes over and over, you will see the voice activity indicators repeat 1-2-3-4 over and over. But if you then play a 5th note you haven't played before, that will now be remembered as the new 1st voice. If you play another note you haven't played before, that becomes the new 2nd voice, and so on. Voices are remembered and forgotten in this fashion. When Reallocate is switched off, you basically just cycle through all available voices no matter what you play and nothing is remembered. With Reallocation switched on, modulation from Voice Index suddenly becomes organic and seemingly arbitrary, even though there is a very organized system at work. It's a great way to create very nuanced sounds.

Sound Author wrote:With Reallocation switched on, modulation from Voice Index suddenly becomes organic and seemingly arbitrary, even though there is a very organized system at work. It's a great way to create very nuanced sounds.
Now this is interesting because I would have thought the opposite (that Reallocation switched off would sound more organic) and it's one of the things I love about synths; we have to step away from the idea that we should be able to derive the result from looking at the parts. We have to actually try things and hear the results. Once we have some "rules" learned then we constantly break them!

In some ways, "play" is a better word than "engineer" to describe the process. Howard has alluded to this multiple times and he is my hero when it comes to sound design. Not to take anything away from the many other excellent sound designers, but the way he thinks seems to resonate for me. That and the idea of a grumpy sound designer is a great image :D (I'm guessing Howard is not actually grumpy...unless he runs out of smokes :x )

Return to “u-he”