Latest Builds: Zebra 2.8 *beta*

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra Zebralette Zebrify

EvilDragon wrote:
Toddskins wrote:And I have to add as a request, and recent buyer of Repro, that it would be nice if when you double click a preset in the Windows Explorer window, that the particular synth that is open would simply load it then. Playing around with the Preset Browser method of the U-he synth is not intuitive.
That just won't work with the plugins being... plugins loaded into another program (and each DAW working differently, for that matter). So you can forget about that, and better get acquainted with the preset browser. It's really not that much different than Explorer.
Exactly.

Plus, how is it more intuitive to browse into some obscure system folder to open preset files when the task of changing the sound is offered where 99% of all users expect to find it - in the GUI of the instrument whose sound you want to change?

If you sit 100 people in front of the plug-in, where would the vast majority of users go looking for a way of achieving their goal without consulting the manual? That's what intuitive means in regards to usability.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

medienhexer wrote: Exactly.

Plus, how is it more intuitive to browse into some obscure system folder to open preset files when the task of changing the sound is offered where 99% of all users expect to find it - in the GUI of the instrument whose sound you want to change?

If you sit 100 people in front of the plug-in, where would the vast majority of users go looking for a way of achieving their goal without consulting the manual? That's what intuitive means in regards to usability.
No, I get it. But my response should easily be understood that I was having issues trying to get to other presets (and I read another on here having the same problem, too).

Instead of criticizing the new user, it might help to take a minute and ponder "why did the new person endeavor to do it the Windows-way rather than the built-in user interface way?" And you could have guessed it that the interface isn't as easy and intuitive as it was thought to be. That's all.

Once I learn the ins & outs of it, after having tried for several minutes and failing, it will be okay. Just a quirk about the design that you'll forget after a while, but all new people are sure to face the same dilemma when they encounter it.

The new user could've also read the manual, where preset browser functionality has been explained.

EvilDragon wrote:The new user could've also read the manual, where preset browser functionality has been explained.
And that comments demonstrates the opposite viewpoint of Meidenhexer, who thinks that the interface is intuitive.

Look, you guys seems to have an axe to grind and I just won't show up on here anymore. The U-he development team will know that their user base makes new people to feel like shit, and does not want to hear their thoughts.

ED is now part of u-he's development team?
But does Zebra pr Repro preset interface differ that much significantly from other software preset browsers?
I don't know any software synth that expects you to double click on a preset in the Windows Browser to load it.
Which one, I am curious?
rsp
sound sculptist

Toddskins wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:The new user could've also read the manual, where preset browser functionality has been explained.
And that comments demonstrates the opposite viewpoint of Meidenhexer, who thinks that the interface is intuitive.
Not really a viewpoint. It's just an obvious thing to do, if you're not understanding something, check the manual? I do this all the time when I'm new to a piece of software. Or hardware, for that matter. Has nothing to do with having an "axe to grind".

Also, I'd really like an explanation in how the u-he preset browser is not intuitive? It's pretty much exactly like Explorer is - left pane choose folder, right pane choose sound.

And then some extra options on top (search field, favorites, etc.).

I AM SO HAPPY ABOUT THIS UPDATE! Thanks U-He!!!

I just wanna bring up a vitally important subject: Including the option to disable automation smoothing!!! It's really important for snappy automations and sharp modulations from external sources. I think it will be simple to add to 2.8 or 3 as well. Thank you again!

Oops! sorry for the double-post.

I see you already bumped the other post. Nvm.

tasmaniandevil wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:OK yeah, I can confirm that one.
Yup, but afair this is not really a new bug, I think those (and a few other tabs in other modules) were never memorized.
I made an improvement ticket for this, so if there is enough time, someone will hopefully add memory parameters to those tabs (can't promise this though).
Thanks for at least considering a fix here, although I must admit, I'm a bit disappointed it's ranked with such low priority.

As an intermediate improvement, could you maybe consider changing the current hard-coded default, i.e. "Phase" tab, to "Mix" tab? Do others agree with me that this is a far better default? I mean, isn't adjusting osc volume far more common than phase/sync?

Tas didn't say it was a low priority. He said "if there is enough time". Paints a completely different picture :)

karrikuh wrote:Do others agree with me that this is a far better default? I mean, isn't adjusting osc volume far more common than phase/sync?
What you are saying makes sense yes. But in practice I have not noticed it at all. For me, Zebra remembering the specific screen configuration down to that level is not relevent to workflow.

When I reopen there is no guarantee that I will want to tweak any of the previous settings, and I can't say that any of the settings would be more likely than any other. That will depend on the reason I'm opening the patch.

More specific to your question, I usually adjust the volume in the mix lanes but it depends on the patch.

EvilDragon wrote:It would be garbled mess when applied on sum of polyphonic voices, not very useful. Might as well use white noise instead.
Noppes , it would just function as a wave-shaper stereo effect ;like a gazillion other effects out there , and repro -1 :clap:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Toddskins wrote:
medienhexer wrote: Exactly.

No, I get it. But my response should easily be understood that I was having issues trying to get to other presets (and I read another on here having the same problem, too).

Instead of criticizing the new user, it might help to take a minute and ponder "why did the new person endeavor to do it the Windows-way rather than the built-in user interface way?" And you could have guessed it that the interface isn't as easy and intuitive as it was thought to be. That's all.

Once I learn the ins & outs of it, after having tried for several minutes and failing, it will be okay. Just a quirk about the design that you'll forget after a while, but all new people are sure to face the same dilemma when they encounter it.
Sorry, I still don't understand what you're saying.

Yes, I disagree with you on everything you said. That's life, we can't always agree with everybody.

Especially what you were saying about the choice of colors in Windows XP and that being in any way a good idea and somehow based in extensive user testing - just because you state it like a fact doesn't make it a fact. Windows XP's default UI is not objectively a good UI. It may be pretty to some and definitely colorful, but not objectively a good UI for a working environment. So I'm really glad somebody else made the design decisions for Zebra.

But seriously, I can only reply to what you write, not what I should have interpreted into what you were saying. If you have issues with the browser, you can state those issues and perhaps a discussion will follow, perhaps even a solution to your issues. But instead you were asking for u-he to support a way of bypassing their new feature and allowing you to use Explorer instead of the browser. And that is why it was suggested you try reading up in the documentation first. That, plus, as ED said, there is no way your wish can come true. You can only define the default application per file type and plug-ins aren't standalone applications.

Look, the preset folder is installed inside a folder which is not necessarily apparent (= obscure). On MacOS, it's /Library/Audio/Presets/U-he/Zebra2. I can only assume it's something similarly hidden on Windows. Most users, rightfully, never get to see these folders unless they're instructed to in order to troubleshoot.

So if a user wants to load a preset, I still don't think it's easier to find out that location and switch over to Finder/Explorer than clicking the left/right buttons adjacent to Zebra's display for a start.

And in order to load a preset, the user clicks the very prominent PRESETS button in the GUI and takes it from there. It's a convention across a great number of soft synths. Probably including the instruments which come with your DAW.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

gentleclockdivider wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:It would be garbled mess when applied on sum of polyphonic voices, not very useful. Might as well use white noise instead.
Noppes , it would just function as a wave-shaper stereo effect ;like a gazillion other effects out there , and repro -1 :clap:
Repro-1 is monophonic. Waveshapers mostly (to me) sound like crap on polyphonic material.

Return to “u-he”