How About Some Less Expensive Synths?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Even if it was the case that the strategy you are suggesting was successful in yielding growth to u-he, it would be entirely up to them to decide whether they actually want that growth by doing something that doesn't inspire them, or pursue something that is genuinely inspiring and satisfying to them instead, while still being sustainable."

And that is why I told Urs previously, that I get it when he was talking about doing what he loved and enjoyed.

tony10000 wrote:And that is why I told Urs previously, that I get it when he was talking about doing what he loved and enjoyed.
So your point is, "I get that you want to do something you love and enjoy, but hey, if you didn't, though, that might lead to growth" :) .. Well, okay.

"I asked you how a stripped-down version (eg Hive Lite) would increase brand visibility - which was the claim you yourself made. You then said you hadn't made any such point and I should reread your post. I did, and highlighted the bit that made me type the original response."

As I stated in my most recent post, Hive isn't exactly setting the EDM market on fire. I don't know what its sales #s are, but I would guess that Sylenth1, Serum and Spire all have more market share. So, a Hive Lite or Hive freebie may be able to drive Hive sales. Or maybe not.

"So your point is, "I get that you want to do something you love and enjoy, but hey, if you didn't, though, that might lead to growth" :) .. Well, okay."

u-he isn't Native Instruments. They are a small crew with fewer products and lower sales. And maybe Urs likes it that way. Not everyone wants to be NI.

tony10000 wrote:u-he isn't Native Instruments. They are a small crew with fewer products and lower sales. And maybe Urs likes it that way. Not everyone wants to be NI.
And even if that was the case, that's a totally fine and respectable way to approach entrepeneurship, design and development.

tony10000 wrote:As I stated in my most recent post, Hive isn't exactly setting the EDM market on fire. I don't know what its sales #s are, but I would guess that Sylenth1, Serum and Spire all have more market share. So, a Hive Lite or Hive freebie may be able to drive Hive sales. Or maybe not.
IMO, the simple reason for Hive not delivering as expected is that it's the wrong sound for that market. I believe a stripped-down version would have approximately zero impact other than creating more confused customers - deciding which one they would need to buy to do what they want.

Sylenth (and Virus) users tend to gravitate towards Spire rather than Hive even though Spire eats your CPU alive. Personally, I find Hive to be not my first choice for those kinds of sounds. Sylenth is old, simple, arguably uncompetitive but gets the job done. One of the Dune 2 threads provides some clues as to what is happening here - people get used to certain kinds of sounds that often derive from DSP or circuit-design shortcuts (such as the TB303 filter) and clue into minute details that can be missing in synths that are only very subtly different to the casual observer.

OTOH, Hive has found a market - it's just not the supersaw killah originally envisaged. All you get from a Hive Lite is a cheap Hive that the original target market still doesn't want.

Were Hive to be used in some signature sounds for EDM all of a sudden its fortunes in EDM would probably turn around dramatically. But, at this stage, is that necessary? That fashionable sound is tomorrow's gated snare. Hive seems to have a base among people who want something a bit simpler to set up than Zebra.

Guenon wrote:
tony10000 wrote:u-he isn't Native Instruments. They are a small crew with fewer products and lower sales. And maybe Urs likes it that way. Not everyone wants to be NI.
And even if that was the case, that's a totally fine and respectable way to approach entrepeneurship, design and development.
I absolutely agree. I run my mouth. Urs runs his company.

Gamma-UT wrote:
tony10000 wrote:As I stated in my most recent post, Hive isn't exactly setting the EDM market on fire. I don't know what its sales #s are, but I would guess that Sylenth1, Serum and Spire all have more market share. So, a Hive Lite or Hive freebie may be able to drive Hive sales. Or maybe not.
IMO, the simple reason for Hive not delivering as expected is that it's the wrong sound for that market. I believe a stripped-down version would have approximately zero impact other than creating more confused customers - deciding which one they would need to buy to do what they want.

Sylenth (and Virus) users tend to gravitate towards Spire rather than Hive even though Spire eats your CPU alive. Personally, I find Hive to be not my first choice for those kinds of sounds. Sylenth is old, simple, arguably uncompetitive but gets the job done. One of the Dune 2 threads provides some clues as to what is happening here - people get used to certain kinds of sounds that often derive from DSP or circuit-design shortcuts (such as the TB303 filter) and clue into minute details that can be missing in synths that are only very subtly different to the casual observer.

OTOH, Hive has found a market - it's just not the supersaw killah originally envisaged. All you get from a Hive Lite is a cheap Hive that the original target market still doesn't want.

Were Hive to be used in some signature sounds for EDM all of a sudden its fortunes in EDM would probably turn around dramatically. But, at this stage, is that necessary? That fashionable sound is tomorrow's gated snare. Hive seems to have a base among people who want something a bit simpler to set up than Zebra.
I disagree completely. I think Hive is a fine product and can compete in that market. Listen to what Aiyn Zahev has done with it--very strong sound sets. Speaking of Dune 2 (a synth I also have and love), DuneCM has been a very effective product to bring users into the Dune fold. Hive could similarly benefit from a freebie or lite version. Something with a scaled-down UI: 2 osc., supersaws, sub, a few LFOs a few EGs and some mod options.

"Sylenth is old, simple, arguably uncompetitive but gets the job done."

Sylenth1 is a great sounding, versatile synth that has held up very well over the last decade plus. Key to its success is its low CPU usage which is a great asset for those using slower laptops. That is why I own it. And that is why it is a staple on EDM tracks, even today. A Hive Lite could have wide appeal to that market and compete with other offerings in that price range like Ana1, SynthmasterOne, Carbon Electra, etc. as well as provide a gateway into Hive and Zebra.

A polite, ande hopefully significant, public service memorandum to tony10000...

Hey dude, I see you are a new KVR member and I wanna help you out here...

Your ideas are somewhat cool, but I don't think they are going anywhere...it is quite likely that u-he already has a business plan in place, and will be spending their resources on that. So stop spending your resources on this. Maybe in the future, when they are all fat & well fed :hihi: :lol: they will make you that synth... :hihi: :hihi:

Grizzellda wrote:A polite, ande hopefully significant, public service memorandum to tony10000...

Hey dude, I see you are a new KVR member and I wanna help you out here...

Your ideas are somewhat cool, but I don't think they are going anywhere...it is quite likely that u-he already has a business plan in place, and will be spending their resources on that. So stop spending your resources on this. Maybe in the future, when they are all fat & well fed :hihi: :lol: they will make you that synth... :hihi: :hihi:
I have actually been on KVR for decades...just don't post too often.

And as I said previously, I run my mouth...Urs will run his business.

Also, the synth isn't for me. I have plenty of them. Although, I probably would buy it just to support u-he.

I'm good, y'all. PEACE :wink:

tony10000 wrote:Although, I probably would buy it just to support u-he. :wink:
Oh well, sure...supporting u-he is cool. :hihi:

But you seem to have all their synths, so this whole thread is basically nutz, right? :hihi:

tony10000 wrote:And that is why I told Urs previously, that I get it when he was talking about doing what he loved and enjoyed.
Clearly you don't get it... otherwise you wouldn't keep pushing and pushing for what YOU want.

tony10000 wrote: However, more people would be willing to lay out some cash for a lower-priced synth ($50-100) than one costing much more, especially if they are new to the brand. That was certainly my case with Ace.
They'd have to sell 3x or 4x as many $50 plugs as they do for every Zebra or Diva sold to make the same money, leading to greater support burden and more pleas for even less expensive products from entitled cheapskates. :dog:

Not a tremendously compelling business proposition.

We really need a like button here on kvr. :tu:
Rsp
Winstontaneous wrote:
tony10000 wrote: However, more people would be willing to lay out some cash for a lower-priced synth ($50-100) than one costing much more, especially if they are new to the brand. That was certainly my case with Ace.
They'd have to sell 3x or 4x as many $50 plugs as they do for every Zebra or Diva sold to make the same money, leading to greater support burden and more pleas for even less expensive products from entitled cheapskates. :dog:

Not a tremendously compelling business proposition.
sound sculptist

Return to “u-he”