Diva multicore setting not always saved/loaded

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a problem with Diva's multicore setting. I am using Diva for the first time in my current project and I have several instances of it in my DAW. In order to ensure that I have enough processor capacity to handle it I switch on the Multicore setting in every instance of Diva. If I don't then I get many audio glitches as my processor struggles to keep up (it's a big project with many other synths, sample libraries etc). My processor is a quad core Intel-i5.

Several times now when I've loaded the project to continue work on it I have started hearing audio glitches and have discovered that the Multicore setting in every instance of Diva has been switched off. Going to each instance of Diva in turn and switching it back on again makes the glitches go away. This doesn't happen every time I load the project - perhaps one in five.

When it happens I haven't tried closing the project and loading it again because it takes so long to load that it's simply quicker to switch Multicore back on in each instance.

To clarify: I never turn Multicore off - I only ever turn it on. Sometimes when I load the project Multicore has been switched off for EVERY Diva instance. It never gets switched on for some and off for others - it's always all or nothing.

My DAW host is a fairly recent build of Reaper. I don't have problems with settings from any other plug-ins not getting saved or loaded correctly.

My suspicion is that because this setting relies on specific hardware (i.e. a multicore processor), at some point during the loading of Diva it must attempt to detect whether there is a multicore processor present and, if not, switch that setting off. For some reason it occasionally fails to detect that the processor is multicore. This is just speculation of course.

Has anyone else come across this probem?

Oh, by the way - I love Diva. I'm really pleased with my decision to buy it :-)

Many thanks,

Simon.

Long ago I asked why we can't have Multicore on by default. Urs answered:
Urs wrote:We can't recommend it.

The number of instances that should have it on varies from machine to machine. I think that 2-5 might be okay on a fast machine, but beyond that one should either work without, maybe use "fast" with best for offline rendering or freeze.

We know however that many people experience performance issues with multiple instances using the multicore option. Hence we must keep it a conscience decision to switch it on.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Hi Teksonik,

I didn't ask to have it on by default. What's happening is that when I turn it on and then save my project and load it back, sometimes it has turned itself off again.

Simon.

That never happened over here.

That happens to me, as well.

As far as I know, we're pretty much the only company who saves "per instance" parameters with project. For this to work we rely on hosts setting a preset immediately after opening an instance, i.e. "if the user hadn't had the time to browse presets yet, it must have been saved with project".

We have never heard any complaints about this so far, except for one (now dead) host which first created all plug-in instances and then loaded all settings. The only drawback is, hosts which store plug-in chains like presets simply load with instance parameters set to whatever it was.

Hence, we haven't touched this code in years. But if there's a specific problem in a specific environment, we'd love to figure out what's different. It would be great to get a project file where this happens, and the specs of the machine. Would it be possible to send both to support at u-he dot com, along with a link to this thread as well?

Cheers,

- Urs

Hi Urs,
I'll try to recreate the problem with a simple project. This is my first project using Diva and it's laden with sample libraries and licensed plug-ins from other companies (UAD etc) which might not make it easy for you to recreate the problem. If it happens with a simple project I'll send everything as requested.
Many thanks,
Simon.

Here, Diva never remembers Accuracy, Offline Accuracy and Multicore settings. Never. After I restart REAPER or reload the project I have to open all Diva instances and manually set these settings back how I want them. Every time. BTW, same with Repro-5's multicore and Presswerk HQ. Honestly, I thought it was one of those 'by design' quirks :?

Weird.

Looks like this has something to do with how Reaper handles closing of a project. Can anybody please test this:

Variant A
- create new Reaper project
- create a new track and load Diva
- enable Multicore
- set Accuracy to Divine
- set Offline Accuracy to Best
- save project
- close Reaper (File - Quit) <-- important
- open Reaper and load the project
--> Multicore, Accuracy and Offline Accuracy settings are restored

Variant B
- create new Reaper project
- create a new track and load Diva
- enable Multicore
- set Accuracy to Divine
- set Offline Accuracy to Best
- save project
- close project (File - Close Project) <-- important
- open the project again
--> Multicore, Accuracy and Offline Accuracy settings are not restored and set to Off, Great and Same respectively.

Also, if in Variant B I don't save the project but close Reaper and reopen the project (just like in Variant A), all the troublesome settings are restored as expected. So the settings are actually saved within the project.

Considering that it's behaving differently based on whether you close the project or just quit, I'd be inclined to think it's a more of a Reaper bug.

Hmm, it might be that the host is only polling the internal state from the plug-in when it thinks it might have changed. If that is the case I'd say it's generally bad practice, I think any host should always poll the current state when saving a project.

We'll look into that re. Reaper.

drzhnn wrote: Can anybody please test this:
For me the result is not consistent on loading the project in Reaper, so loading Variant A not always enables MC and Divine.

I have same issue with Repro-5 in my Reaper.
Also, Diva changes the Accuracy from Divine to Great on new track after copying a track.
Upd: Just have checked the 'Duplicate Track' command in the Reaper - both Accuracy and Multicore didn't save in the copied instance of Diva. (Reaper 5.7, Windows 10)

Upd2: When I set checkbox "Reaper -> Options -> Plug-ins -> Compatibility -> Disable saving full plug-in state" on, I get correct copy behavior. Also, the state of Accuracy and Multicore always restores after re-opening.
But I'm not sure if that's a good solution of the problem.

Return to “u-he”