Request: u-he.com website testing - new license retrieval system

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Worked nicely, received email within a matter of minutes, if not less. Did get the queue message to wait upto 20 mins.

All good, all product serials received. Nice.

So, did the test multiple times.

1. First time - license request went into the queue as expected
2. Second time - system told me there was already a pending request
3. Third time - Just replaced the "@gmail" in my email address with "@aol" which is tied to an email account I haven't used in years. There are no U-he licenses associated with that AOL account but I wanted to see what would happen.

Actual Result: It said my licenses were already queued. This shouldn't have been the case since this was a new request for a new email address (unless the message is going off IP address or a cookie or something).

Expected Result: Should have got a message saying something like, "no licenses could be found for that email address" since I don't have any U-he licenses associated with that particular email address.

- Does repeatedly submitting your email address give you a "Your request is already queued" message? - Didn't try sorry.

- Do you get any email from our system at all? (Please wait a few minutes after submitting, then also check your spam inbox.) - Yes, a few minutes after request.

- Does the email contain all your registered serial numbers, as well as download links for all your registered soundsets? - Serials yes, download links no.

- Do the serial numbers in the email match the serial numbers you received in the past? (Pre 2013 Zebra2 serials can vary, Filterscape will vary) - Sorry, to lazy to check right now. There are some anomalies though. I have received serial numbers for products I used to own but don't any more.

- Do the download links for all your soundsets work? - The only link I received was for a soundset I don't own any more. The link does not work.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Just replaced the "@gmail" in my email address with "@aol" which is tied to an email account I haven't used in years. There are no U-he licenses associated with that AOL account but I wanted to see what would happen.
We did receive a "mail delivery failed" notice from the AOL server for your request, the reason was: "Recipient address rejected". So our system sent you a "no licenses found" notification, but AOL didn't let it go through, why ever.
morelia wrote:Serials yes, download links no.
Should you have received any? If soundsets were not listed in the mail but should have been, then please contact support at u-he dot com and let us know what's missing.
morelia wrote:There are some anomalies though. I have received serial numbers for products I used to own but don't any more.
That is an issue with our database, we know about it. In your specific case, it should no longer happen if you submit a request now.

EDIT: Theoretically, the "received serial numbers for products you no longer own" part should be globally fixed now. If anyone still receives licenses for products they no longer own, then please forward the email to support at u-he dot com and let us know.
Cheers
Rob
u-he | Support | FAQ | Patch Library

Rob, I'm thinking from a user experience perspective it would be better if users were told no licenses could be found on the front-end if at all possible. Imagine this scenario: customer enters a typo. They think everything is fine and wait for their licenses. Nothing arrives. They think the license retrieval processes failed and contact support not realizing it was a typo on their part. Just an initial validation of the email address against the database would prevent that with a "no licenses for for your email address, please double check or try again with a different address" message on the site would solve for that.

Sure, that would be kinda cool. Like that, we would basically create a polling portal where anyone can type in any potential email address they can come up with. Or maybe an email address from someone they once did a trade on KVR with. They see "no error message", so there must be licenses linked to that email address, then all it needs is a support request "I can't access my old email address, please update my licenses to this new one" and hell is unleashed. No thank you. :)

We also have to think about the upcoming GDPR stuff. We can't just disclose to anyone out there who knows an email address that we have a customer record for someone.
Cheers
Rob

Right, but even if I enter an email address, the email still goes to the legit user so it doesn't benefit me. I could do that for just about any website with any legit email address. Just click forgot password on any site, enter anyone's email address or guess a user name. You'll either get a confirmation message an email was sent or an account not found message. None of that is going to help you if you don't have access to the email account. That's the same reason every confirmation email includes the boiler plate "If you didn't request this, contact us" language.

If I entered a typo, I'd want your site to tell me instead of waiting and never getting a response at all. Sure, at some point I may just try again or contact support, but that's still worse than just telling me my email address was wrong up front. The waste of time due to a silly typo and lack of validation would probably annoy me a but, even if it was all my fault. I like systems designed to save users from themselves.

Anyway, just my two cents on the subject. Not something I'd imagine I'd use regularly and if you guys get swamped with support requests due to typos, I'm sure you'd come up with a solution that works for everyone.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:So, did the test multiple times.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:3. Third time - Just replaced the "@gmail" in my email address with "@aol" which is tied to an email account I haven't used in years. There are no U-he licenses associated with that AOL account but I wanted to see what would happen.

Actual Result: It said my licenses were already queued. This shouldn't have been the case since this was a new request for a new email address (unless the message is going off IP address or a cookie or something).
So are you saying that the third time you tried you got a "licenses were already queued" statement? Or did you get a "already a pending request" statement? Or did you get a "license request went into the queue as expected" statement? It would be clearer if you typed the exact statement you received verbatim in quotes for each test.
#rob wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Just replaced the "@gmail" in my email address with "@aol" which is tied to an email account I haven't used in years. There are no U-he licenses associated with that AOL account but I wanted to see what would happen.
We did receive a "mail delivery failed" notice from the AOL server for your request, the reason was: "Recipient address rejected". So our system sent you a "no licenses found" notification, but AOL didn't let it go through, why ever.
I thought Funkybot wrote he did not get a "no licenses found" notification for his test No.3.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:If I entered a typo, I'd want your site to tell me instead of waiting and never getting a response at all. Sure, at some point I may just try again or contact support, but that's still worse than just telling me my email address was wrong up front. The waste of time due to a silly typo and lack of validation would probably annoy me a but, even if it was all my fault. I like systems designed to save users from themselves.
I think if someone (not you :wink:) can't take the time to check that the email address they just typed is correct before they hit 'send' then they deserve to have their time wasted. Security trumps convenience. (sorry I used the trump word)
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:if I enter an email address, the email still goes to the legit user so it doesn't benefit me.
Unfortunately, that's not enough to counter laws.
spunkmuffin wrote:I thought Funkybot wrote he did not get a "no licenses found" notification for his test No.3.
Quite possible. Since we got the error message from AOL that they won't/can't forward the email to him.
Cheers
Rob

#rob wrote:
spunkmuffin wrote:I thought Funkybot wrote he did not get a "no licenses found" notification for his test No.3.
Quite possible. Since we got the error message from AOL that they won't/can't forward the email to him.
Aah ok, but I think in Funkybot was at first talking about the initial webpage response, not the later email response. So this is what he did:

Test 1: Input email A. Webpage says request is queued.
Test 2: Input email A. Webpage says (previous) request pending.
Test 3: Input email B. Webpage says (previous) request pending. But there was no previous request for this email address, so why respond with '(previous) request pending'? Or is this the standard response for all mystery requests?

That's what I think he was getting at. So not the later email response, but rather the initial webpage response.
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

That's it in a nutshell.

Download invalid or expired. Please request a new link when I press the Zebra2 The Dark Zebra
Use your Zebra2 serial number to unlock ZebraHZ
link. All others are fine
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

m_d_p wrote:
  • - Does repeatedly submitting your email address give you a "Your request is already queued" message?
Yes.
  • - Do you get any email from our system at all? (Please wait a few minutes after submitting, then also check your spam inbox.)
Yes, around 2 minutes wait.
  • - Does the email contain all your registered serial numbers, as well as download links for all your registered soundsets?
I have no soundsets. The mail contains 2 serial numbers but see below.
  • - Do the serial numbers in the email match the serial numbers you received in the past? (Pre 2013 Zebra2 serials can vary, Filterscape will vary)
I have both Diva and Repro, and I got totally different serial numbers from the ones I'm using. I also got a problem with my name, which is cut due to the use of the word "Jesús" [utf8 in 2018....]
m_d_p wrote:
  • - Do the download links for all your soundsets work?
Cheers, E.

ejgallego wrote:I have both Diva and Repro, and I got totally different serial numbers from the ones I'm using. I also got a problem with my name, which is cut due to the use of the word "Jesús" [utf8 in 2018....]
The trouble with that is that Share-It always sent us "broken" user names if they contained "exotic" (non standard alphabet) characters , I found your customer record in our system and it contained such a "broken" name because of the ú character. That's probably why you were sent entirely different serial numbers.

I've fixed your name in our system, so if you try again, you should now receive working and matching serial numbers.

If there are any more issues with your serial numbers, then please contact support at u-he dot com, in order to not to derail this thread.
woodsdenis wrote:Download invalid or expired. Please request a new link when I press the Zebra2 The Dark Zebra Use your Zebra2 serial number to unlock ZebraHZ link.
Hm, really weird. I guess I'll have to do some more debugging.
spunkmuffin wrote:So not the later email response, but rather the initial webpage response.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:That's it in a nutshell.
I understand that. Just not how it can happen. :) (It's on the list, I'll figure it out.)

EDIT: I just tweaked something. Don't think it'll change much, but if you find the time it would be great if you could try again.
Last edited by #rob on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Rob

#rob wrote:
ejgallego wrote:I have both Diva and Repro, and I got totally different serial numbers from the ones I'm using. I also got a problem with my name, which is cut due to the use of the word "Jesús" [utf8 in 2018....]
The trouble with that is that Share-It always sent us "broken" user names if they contained "exotic" (non standard alphabet) characters , I found your customer record in our system and it contained such a "broken" name because of the ú character. That's probably why you were sent entirely different serial numbers.

I've fixed your name in our system, so if you try again, you should now receive working and matching serial numbers.
Thanks #rob! I'm using to my name causing trouble :D :hyper: :lol: bad Shareit!

I have tried again and this time I got the licenses I'm using now. So I assume all is good them as I didn't find any other "testing" issue. Thanks!

Return to “u-he”