Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
epiphaneia
KVRist

480 posts since 29 May, 2011, from Germany

Postby epiphaneia; Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:27 am how about more extreme lo-fi settings for Satin?

I demo-ed Satin some time ago, and even though I loved its basic sound, I didn´t buy it after all, because it sounded too good (!) even at rather extreme settings.

Now I am aware that Satin is basically a tape emulation plugin with a cherry on top, and not a general sound-worse-ifier, but since the basics are all there, would it be a lot of trouble to expand the range of possible settings?

I am thinking of:
- more wow/flutter, think "super slow vibrato"-extreme settings, for instant Boards of Canada.
- tape speed, right down to 3.75" and 1.875".
- added "tape dropouts", scratches, kinks, tears and ruboffs.

That kind of sound I´m after is extremely tedious to reproduce by other means, so at least to me it would be a godsend :phones:
Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF

5398 posts since 15 Aug, 2006

Postby Funkybot's Evil Twin; Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:47 am Re: how about more extreme lo-fi settings for Satin?

epiphaneia wrote:- tape speed, right down to 3.75" and 1.875".

Good news: 1.875" already is the minimum tape speed value.
dangayle
KVRian

525 posts since 29 Mar, 2014

Postby dangayle; Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:12 pm Re: how about more extreme lo-fi settings for Satin?

epiphaneia wrote:I demo-ed Satin some time ago, and even though I loved its basic sound, I didn´t buy it after all, because it sounded too good (!) even at rather extreme settings.

Now I am aware that Satin is basically a tape emulation plugin with a cherry on top, and not a general sound-worse-ifier, but since the basics are all there, would it be a lot of trouble to expand the range of possible settings?

I am thinking of:
- more wow/flutter, think "super slow vibrato"-extreme settings, for instant Boards of Canada.
- tape speed, right down to 3.75" and 1.875".
- added "tape dropouts", scratches, kinks, tears and ruboffs.

That kind of sound I´m after is extremely tedious to reproduce by other means, so at least to me it would be a godsend :phones:

I mentioned this in another thread, and I agree with you. Satin is just too friendly to source material. What you are looking for is Goodhertz' Wow Control, which has a lot more grit and grime to it.
sascha
KVRian

983 posts since 1 Oct, 2001, from Berlin, Germany

Postby sascha; Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:29 am Re: how about more extreme lo-fi settings for Satin?

By the time we started working on Satin, we had a studio-grade tape construction kit in mind, not an 'instant Boards of Canada' device. In other words, we initially wanted something that made things sound better, not worse, or at least find out what is it, in particular, what makes people rave about the 'tape sound' of the Golden Age. Then we found out our model could be 'misaligned' somewhat to specs that go more into domestic-tape territory, and would still behave 'valid', technically. What we didn't want is an 'audio worsifier' in the first place, instead we wanted to cover the 'good' aspects of tape.

I hear you on the wow & flutter. I've already thought about improving that part, since the transport model is aware of pinch roller & capstan but misses out on some aspects known as 'scrape flutter', and what causes these. We'll consider that in a future update.
Sascha Eversmeier
u-he | digitalfishphones | samplitude (past)
Jay Ass Blach
Banned

Postby Jay Ass Blach; Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:02 am Re: how about more extreme lo-fi settings for Satin?

No, because Valhalla is doing a dirty tape delay plugin, you have to do it too, understood?

:ud:
spunkmuffin
KVRian

607 posts since 5 Sep, 2014

Postby spunkmuffin; Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:22 am Re: how about more extreme lo-fi settings for Satin?

Will U-he Audio Worsifier (UAW) be released at some point? :clown: The world really needs a super high quality and sophisticated worsifier. Who would do a worsifier worse...I mean better than u-he eh?
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Moderator: u-he Mods

Return to u-he