Looks like Behringer is making RePro Controller

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use my Virus kB as controller for Repro. Quite similar layout.
I usually record the Virus' output at the same time for interesting layering options later.

Urs wrote:I had a look at this controller and it'll rock for Repro:

http://sound-force.nl/?page_id=2412

I also had a listen to the Berhinger prototype and they have a long way to go if they want to make it sound right. Their manufacturing process is "too good", it seems quirckless.
Not a pro one fan and it doesnt have a ktbd, so not on my list anyway.

akira2 wrote:Now the question is.... will software compagnies decrease their prices ? I mean for stuff like Repro, Diva, Legend, Arturia v...

Because at this price, I prefer to get a Model D than the Legend for example .
I prefer to be able to save presets... have polyphony and automation

I don't see the software emulations becoming cheaper.

pdxindy wrote:I don't see the software emulations becoming cheaper.
Me neither.

As I put it, the difference between recreating a vintage synth in software and hardware is, in software it might take more research and development than it took for the original, in hardware it skips R&D.

Software is endlessly more convenient than hardware, and from what I hear, in some cases closer to the original, sound-wise.

I am currently sat here at in a modular T shirt that says 'presets are for cowards' but I have to agree there is space for both in the creative process :)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Here's where I have a problem of not having presets: you could spend hours tinkering away at coming up with the most fabulous synth sound ever, but what is the possibility that the sound will work well with a song that you are currently working on (assuming you are into recording music). Granted, you could write down the settings, but why do that when just saving the patch is way easier? Worse yet, if you play live, you don't have much time to spend in between songs setting up for the next song. I have spent lots of time creating synth patches from scratch (I started with synths in 1981 with a Pro-One), yet I am better at tweaking other people's patches to suit my preferences, as opposed to coming up with patches purely from scratch.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

aaron aardvark wrote:Here's where I have a problem of not having presets: you could spend hours tinkering away at coming up with the most fabulous synth sound ever, but what is the possibility that the sound will work well with a song that you are currently working on (assuming you are into recording music). Granted, you could write down the settings, but why do that when just saving the patch is way easier? Worse yet, if you play live, you don't have much time to spend in between songs setting up for the next song. I have spent lots of time creating synth patches from scratch (I started with synths in 1981 with a Pro-One), yet I am better at tweaking other people's patches to suit my preferences, as opposed to coming up with patches purely from scratch.
You know it will sound good in your track because you work with synths like that differently than you would with a software or a preset synth. This was a very common way of working in the 90s. You had your midi sequencer driving your hardware and you fed all of that into your mixer and recorded the whole thing to two track, or, if you were fortunate to have some ADAT machines or an older analog multitrack you fed those with either your direct outs or your bus outs.

As far as working with it live, you are generally not trying to use a synth for maximum versatility with respect to patches when live, but, you employ a particular synth for its character and it serves some role in your live configuration. With respect to that role, the settings are often somewhat constrained and a synth like the PRO-1 just gives you some nice versatility on where you can take the sound. Having done this with similarly complex synths, e.g, 2xSystem100, Odyssey, Cat SRM, I don't think that it's as challenging as you suggest.

Don't get me wrong, I wish that we'd move past this fetish of having "perfect" recreations of old synths, but my criticism is not with respect to having mostly pure analog designs without patch storage that can be produced at low cost, I think that those kinds of synths are still useful.

I played in several bands in the 80's, always with the Pro-One. I usually didn't stray too far from a pretty good Pro-One lead synth sound, as far as settings go (when in band practices or playing in front of an audience). As far as polyphonic synths go (still in the 80's) I started with a Moog Opus III (yes I have heard the Opus III was perhaps closer to an organ than a synth). I used it mostly for string sounds, though flipping a few switches (no patch memory for the Opus III) enabled one to play some decent organ sounds, and some primitive synth (usually brassy) sounds. A neighborhood rich kid took interest in my Opus III, so I sold it to him, and then bought a Roland Juno 106. It was so nice to touch a button or two, and get radically different settings, that I swore I would never again buy a synth without some patch memory. That's not to say that there are no great synths with no patch memory out there, I would just much prefer a synth that does have patch memory. If you are content with hardware synths with no patch memory, go for it! But I would be really surprised if I ever bought another one. I haven't bought a hardware synth since 1999 (a Korg TR-Rack). It would be great to play an ARP2600, but I have never even seen one in person. I have a synth plug-in emulation of one (with patch memory), but have such a difficult time creating nice patches from scratch with it, I question if I would be good making sounds from scratch with a real ARP2600. I have heard some good sounds out of an Odyssey emulation plug-in (with memory); so I tried a Korg ARP Odyssey (a real hardware synth with no memory). I'm sure you get better at it with time, but I had a heck of a time conjuring up nice sounds on that keyboard. I saw a Moog Modular module (just a single module, and nothing more, not even a keyboard to control it). It cost $10,000, and I had no clue how you would even use it. Not that I would buy one, but the salesman didn't want to spend the time to show it work. OK, I'm done rambling.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Urs wrote:I had a look at this controller and it'll rock for Repro:

http://sound-force.nl/?page_id=2412

I also had a listen to the Berhinger prototype and they have a long way to go if they want to make it sound right. Their manufacturing process is "too good", it seems quirckless.
i have ordered one and will receive it in June, really looking forward to it! Especially since the AKAI VIP - Repro integration in Ableton is still a huge problem (Live always crashes after a couple of preset switches and points to repro in the crash log. @Urs: are you aware of that?)

markus.schloesser wrote:@Urs: are you aware of that?
Nope...? Please send Crash.log -> support at u-he dot com - that would be very helpful :)

It's an ableton crash log, that I tried to debug with visual studio. AFAIK only ableton can deal with ableton crash logs (at least that what NI told me).
But it's definitely reproducable: load repro 5 or 1 in vip in ableton, change the patches to from the keyboard. After max 5 preset switches it will happen

markus.schloesser wrote:It's an ableton crash log, that I tried to debug with visual studio. AFAIK only ableton can deal with ableton crash logs (at least that what NI told me).
But it's definitely reproducable: load repro 5 or 1 in vip in ableton, change the patches to from the keyboard. After max 5 preset switches it will happen
Ok... we'll try to get a VIP keyboard then... not sure when...

Let me try if it also happens when just advancing presets through the vip software itself. Then you could just use the vip demo version for debugging

Hmmm... do you maybe still have some of the old randomizer scripts? - Those are known to crash Repro.

Nope, don't even know about them. Could you you elaborate?

Return to “u-he”