New Product Query - Filter Bank

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hypothetically in 18 months when the U-he team is looking at what products are on the Horizon, I would like to put a bug in your ear.

Outside of U-he's current available filters as effects, my goto's are QuadFrohmage, and Etch (I like the CableGuys filters, but just don't use them anymore). My favorite filter of all time hard or soft is the Sherman Filterbank.

I think it would be a blast to have Zebrify, with Diva and Repro filters as well as a harmonics generator. I imagine some mutant of the the legendary analog Quad Sherman Filterbank combined with the things U-he dreams up that one can only do with hardware if it's a software program. (like the Satin internal Bus, connection system for instance)

It would be the best filter bank of all time. :D

Thank's for letting me say that out-loud.

+1000

This is a really great idea!

The Sherman Filterbank is a legendary piece of gear, and the sotware plugin world has simply not presented a viable alternative...and if anybody can do it right, it's Urs and the U-He team :)

Urs has mentioned this in passing as something he wants to do. It's not lost on him that they have the best analog modeled filters in the land but you can't find any in available dedicated filter plug-in.

Try The Drop.

Also there's this thing called Filterscape. :hihi:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

spunkmuffin wrote:Try The Drop.

You’re missing the point completely.

This is like someone asking for an Oberheim emulation and you say “go try this Roland synth....” as if that were a meaningful answer. It’s not.

Do some reading on the Sherman Filterbank and you might find yourself interested as well.

Filterscape's filters aren't Diva/RePro-level filters in a plugin though. Agree, that The Drop is excellent. Hope that's ok to say here. I remember Andy stopping by the U-he offices at one point so I think everyone's friendly.

mholloway wrote:

You’re missing the point completely.

This is like someone asking for an Oberheim emulation and you say “go try this Roland synth....” as if that were a meaningful answer. It’s not.

Do some reading on the Sherman Filterbank and you might find yourself interested as well.
Hehe I don't think I am missing the point at all. Urs doesn't want to mimic others and has too much on his plate already. I imagine the last thing he wants to do after Zebra3 is emulate a product that's still in production. Also u-he already has a filterbank product out with a great name called F i l t e r s c a p e and there is no way Urs is going to start working on what would be a competing product before updating that one. In the meantime there is no better software to mimic waht the Sherman Filterbank does than The Drop. That's my point. :wink:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:

Filterscape's filters aren't Diva/RePro-level filters in a plugin though. Agree, that The Drop is excellent. Hope that's ok to say here. I remember Andy stopping by the U-he offices at one point so I think everyone's friendly.
Urs loves Andy so it's perfectly fine. :love:
Now I havn't tried it but just say I suggested FilterBank3 by Tone2 & programmed by the magnanimous Markus Krause. That might be a little different...or maybe not. Oops I just did that didn't I?! Tone2 FilterBank actually sounds really good from the vids I have seen. 8)

i must admit The Drop sounds spectacular, it is like smearing creamed honey on a sound.

I already have those, but thanks for this deep and condescending analysis.

dlarseninclusive wrote:I already have those, but thanks for this deep and condescending analysis.

It wasn't deep and I don't think it was condescending either. It was more...hmm...dismissive. But if you think it was condescending then you're welcome.
Look the reason I posted like that is because this is basically just another 'Oh Urs please please do this' thread. There have been so many. I explained why it's not going to happen in my second post above. Why didn't you quote that one?

spunkmuffin wrote: Urs doesn't want to mimic others and has too much on his plate already. I imagine the last thing he wants to do after Zebra3 is emulate a product that's still in production. Also u-he already has a filterbank product out with a great name called F i l t e r s c a p e and there is no way Urs is going to start working on what would be a competing product before updating that one.
If Urs doesn't like to "mimic others" as you say, why did he make the Repro 1 and Repro 5? Clearly he's not against specific emulations. Look at every part of Diva...

This is the last I'll say on this, but I think you should stop trying to speak for Urs. The above quote makes three assertions about what Urs would or wouldn't want to do, determined by a dude on the internet. Especially considering this is a dev who regularly reads and posts his thoughts in this forum, this kind of behavior is all the more silly.

spunkmuffin wrote: Look the reason I posted like that is because this is basically just another 'Oh Urs please please do this' thread. There have been so many.
So what? Are you the forum police? Were you hired to show up in threads and ruin them because they don't meet some standard? No, didn't think so.

We wanted to talk about the Sherman filterbank and how interesting a U-He take on it could be.
instead, you've derailed us into having to defend the subject for no reason other than you personally finding it uninteresting / not what you want to read in this forum. here's a tip: If you find a thread you're not interested in, just don't open it, and don't get involved in it.

because which is worse: 1. a new thread that might not be to everyone's interest or liking, or 2. a guy who shows up repeatedly in the thread solely to denigrate the subject and remind everybody that he doesn't like or approve of the thread.

Urs can speak for himself, and does. I'm just being cute.
I'm not actually uninterested in the Sherman Filterbank but just wanted to say that u-he is not doing it and why. Mkay?
Oh and this thread is not ruined. I've just added a refreshing sprinkle of spice! :D
Last edited by spunkmuffin on Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “u-he”