The magic of Uhbik

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Whenever I start using a new U-he plugin, they tend to replace what I've been using before:
I only rarely use other compressors than Presswerk anymore, the synths I used all the time are now mostly compliments to U-he synths and so on. The greatness of U-he stuff is most often quite obvious.

So I'm a bit surprised that after having Uhbik for several months already, I still don't quite get it.
Yes, I use Uhbik-A quite a bit, but other reverbs (like IR and actually Protoverb) often give me more of what I'm looking for. And Uhbik-D is present in a lot of my projects, but I enjoy the delay part of Satin more, or even Colour Copy which I've only tried for some hours. Uhbik-G is cool and fun, but I feel like I'm getting a lot of the same result, the same feeling no matter how I treat it.

And this is not stuff I write to complain. Rather the opposite - I want to learn!
Could those of you who love Uhbik and understand more than me please write where Uhbik shines for you?

Of course there's surround, I see that, but so far in my audio life I never really needed surround.

I mix and match all of the U-he effects quite a bit. With Uhbik I think of it as an effects processor "Lego" set. I'll use it to build out modular effects chains. Weather or not I use it in place of other effects almost depends on Mood. The more you put into it, the more you get out for sure though.

Uhbik-A, Uhbik-D, Uhbik-Q, Uhbik-S and Runciter (Order of chain will vary) can provide a similar result to MFM, FIlterscape and Zebrify. In some cases it takes less time to patch. Sometimes I want to go down a sound design rabbit hole, and others I just want to apply effects and keep working. I do create a lot of presets, and have goto's for most of them.

The Zebrify Comb filter is extraordinary and one of the few things I can't do as well in Uhbik. However Uhbik-F goes pretty deep and that is probably a matter of spending time with it. It will do a comb filter.

Presswerk and Satin are a given on most projects.

Runciter is worth it on its own it has a stomp box feel and sound to it, I find Uhbik-Q precise and easier to work with than other filters for simpler parametric tasks. Uhbik-F, and P are also simpler to configure than MFM or Zebrify for a number of tasks. Not so much for the likes of Repro, but Tyrell-N6 for sure, and Tripple Cheese as well as vocal processing.

The biggest trade off I can think of, is modulating via your host application, and not natively in the plugin.

ColourCopy for me still stands alone, it acts like having two independent tape delays and the graphics make that easy to control... You use delay and reverb to provide space, distance and proximity to build out whatever "Ambiance" you are looking for. Uhbik-A is very classical in that sense, and good for 'open' space, and precise space large or small. MFM is good for that too, and it also combines with the 4 delay units to provide unnatural stereo effects (MFM is also basically a Synth disguised as an effect). ColourCopy is more dense and saturated with lower frequencies. It has more water and earth character to it. (I know I am blurring Delay and Reverb here) The Satin delay mode is different altogether. (Made a pretty spot on Alan Parson's Sirius patch with it)

I think that summarizes how I use it. I have a half baked patch bank for Uhbik I hope to finish someday.

Your point is very good, dlarseninclusive!
When looking at Uhbik as different modules in an effect processor rather than a bundle of basic plugins, they do come out more as a whole. Maybe even with an own Uhbik sound.
That way Uhbik-D is more comparable to Lyrebird than to Colour Copy, so to say.
That can make sense to me.

Uhbik is quite awesome IMO (as is Ubik). I just reread the manual recently to see if i was missing anything (not really but still).
I use Uhbik-A for small spaces quite frequently. To give instruments some “body.”
I use U-F and U-P quite a bit also. U-P is my favorite vst phase shifter. The tape machine flanging of U-F is sweet. The only other “modulation” effect that gets as much use is Ubermod.
Lately i’ve been using U-S for 50s science fiction effects (combined with tape style delay and reverb).
The EQ and delay are great also but i generally use others that i have (PSP).
+1 for Uhbik
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Like others said, the beauty of Uhbik is in combining them. But another fantastic aspect is how good parameter modulation sounds. The modulation is smooth without artifacts. For example put Uhbik-G on a drum loop, set it fully wet, bind those knobs to your hardware knobs (scale is pitchy, grainsize is good for stuttering), hit record, and twiddle them! Print it to audio, and you'll end up with excellent glitch source material to chop up.

I did the same thing, kinda begs for it. :D
CrystalWizard wrote:Uhbik is quite awesome IMO (as is Ubik). I just reread the manual recently to see if i was missing anything (not really but still).

As far as I do remember, initially URS had the ENSONIQUE DP4 in mind , when he started the UHBIKs and promised those routing capabilities to come somewhere, but I think we can forget that and I´m curious what will come.

I think the advanced routing "Berlin Modular" development will get there some day.
raring wrote:As far as I do remember, initially URS had the ENSONIQUE DP4 in mind , when he started the UHBIKs and promised those routing capabilities to come somewhere, but I think we can forget that and I´m curious what will come.
This is something I am doing today, live performance recording and all I have is the stereo mix. Sounds great, short of a high rezo filter sweep in the mix here and there. Went though a lot of ideas trying to fix it. Looks like Uhbik-Q will do the trick.

Before
Sweep Before.jpg
What I have up now.
Filter Sweep.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dlarseninclusive on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

** Duplicate Post **
Last edited by dlarseninclusive on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

** Duplicate Post **

Return to “u-he”