Hard sync ? Unison ?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Ive been out of touch, so these may seem stupid questions. But, I'll ask anyway.

Will Z2 have an OSC hard sync mode; one OSC synced to another (I think I may have read about a "self hard sync" mode way back -- not sure what that means though) ?

Also, will there be an easy way to do OSC unison mode (free / triggered ) and spreads / detunes; or will those sort of effects require setting up identical OSC pairs first ?

The more I learn about Z2, the more anxious I become -- exited about the quality, concerned with my (lack of) ability to handle complexity.

Hehe,

The self-sync stuff is pretty simple. Each oscillator has a secondary tune knob between 0 and +36 semitones. When you put it up, it is as if the oscillator was hard synced to another oscillator of the base tune. Just, there is no other oscillator and you save oscillators and cpu. Also, with only 2 oscillators you can make detuned sync sounds. Which normally requires 4 oscillators.

The original Zebra had 3 so called "voicing" modes (single, double and quad) for unison at a fixed detune and a "stereo spread" parameter to distribute the voices in the stereo field.

Zebra 2 does not need such an unison mode. As the whole signal chain is stereo, single, double and quad are built into the oscillators themselves, saving cpu big time. Zebra 2 also has 4 special auxiliary Oscillators that can be FMed. These only offer single and double mode. (But each osc has panning and width control, of course)

Check out this mp3:

http://www.u-he.com/music/Zebra2OSC.mp3

The guitarish sound uses quad mode for one oscillator. The syncish sound uses, uhm, that self sync stuff...

For crazy FM stuff, check out this short mp3:

http://www.u-he.com/music/TinBrutzelBass.mp3

This is a doubled, low tuned osc going through a resonant lowpass, adding a highly pitched stereo FM feedback oscillator which all in turn stereo frequency modulate yet another oscillator :hihi:

Cheers,

;) Urs

Urs wrote:The self-sync stuff is pretty simple. Each oscillator has a secondary tune knob between 0 and +36 semitones. When you put it up, it is as if the oscillator was hard synced to another oscillator of the base tune. Just, there is no other oscillator and you save oscillators and cpu.
Ultra Analog takes a similar approach. I like it - keeps things simple and doesn't require the baggage of a second osc just for sync. Nord Lead 3 does this too I think.

Amazing.

For those of us who took the "wait and see" approach to the zebra PC group buy, can we pay now and get a little piece to play with? Some disposable, hardwired beta code would be fine.

Okay, just so I don't go spending money on things that I don't really need. It would be nice if you could let us know when Zebra 2 is expected to be let loose. I do need it :) but I could waste money elsewhere and not have any left for what I need.... hm... sounds like a personal problem!

At any rate, it would be nice if you could tease us, end of summer? fall? any idea?

Thanks,
Glau

Huh? There was a Zebra pc group buy? damn... Urs, if you need another beta-tester for the pc-version dont hesitate to ask ;)

Cheers,
- Torben

Oh dear...

First of all, don't buy software before it's out, especially not if it has been vapourware for over a year :shock:

I currently have a prototype in AU, with approximately 50% of the features planned. Which is cool, considering that I got serious about it after releasing Filterscape final for Windows - that's 5 weeks ago. Well, a lot of code was already done in Zebra 1, of course ;)

The group buy was for Zebra in general, about a year ago. I since have to deliver the Windows version :oops:

So, I don't give any estimates for a release date. It already makes sounds, but it's not nearly at the point where it should go.

I'll keep you posted!

Cheers,

;) Urs

My guess is it'll be out by the time he starts working on MFM2. :wink:
1.83Ghz Core Duo MacbookPro, 10.4.8, Logic Pro 7.2.3, Live 6, Rax2, Zebra 1.5 & 2, Filterscape
http://www.kevinanker.net

Return to “u-he”