VST GUI using Visual Studio components?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a way to use the graphical development environment ("forms designer") in MS Visual Studio Express to design the GUI for VST plugins - or must all the graphics be developed "in the dark" using the VST components?

I tried to add a form to the "AGain" project and got compiler errors - something about not be able to mix CRL and "/mt" something or other in the command line. I also loaded the "SurroundDelay" example, which compiles, but it uses only VST components (how tedious to develop GUIs that you can't see until you run it!).

If this CAN be done, can someone point me to an example/template of how to set it up?

Thank you.

Forms is a .net thing so would be C# etc. - still you could do it. For C++ you would be writing win32 code and could use the resource editor but it is a pita. I think most plugin makers use make own UI using bitmaps etc. or use something like Juice . You have to take into account the cross platform issues as well.

VSTGUI4 has inplace editing, see the UIdescription example

oli

Go look at Gui library's like Juice, WDL_OL, Stein berg SDK. Although these library's aren't just for GUI you can code more functions of your plugins with these library's. I am learning the Stein berg SDK and WDL OL and am more than pleased with the results I am getting.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”