KnobMan, the VSTGUI AnimationKnob bitmap generator

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ver 0.95

yep, it become a little heavy app.
sorry for poor documentation. may be difficult to use. (wooden knob sample below use 7layers. small-scale points + big-scale points + blackcircle + gear shape + sphere + texture + indicator)

* many parameters for primitives added.
* layer's shadow/highlight parameter added

http://www.g200kg.com/software/knobman095.zip

samples:

request : a proper colour picker...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

This is turning into a fab tool!

What could be nice, esp for 'debugging' knobs, is a provision for naming the layers. I was looking through the wood effect example - it's excellent, but it took a bit of looking to find how the wood was done (very clever, btw ;)). To have a 'basic sphere' and 'wood grain' label would be fantastic.

Also being able to reorder layers could be useful, for instance trying out whether getting a line to sit on top of a shadow or beneath it looks better. I've had that with some of my GIMP'd knobs. I've found that at larger sizes the pointer looks better following going 'under' the shadow as in real life, but for smaller knobs, sitting on top of the shadow aids clarity. [hang on! just found it's there!!!!]

thx for sharing.

DSP
Last edited by duncanparsons on Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

they look great! not got much time atm,but looking fwd to trying it out.
thanks! :)

bug(ish) report

- the sliders seem to get more and more non-responsive, if you set the number of frames and output bitmap size quite high. it would seem the app is trying to do redraws for every frame for each position the slider passes through (or something).

(*) to the point of total unresponsiveness at 31 frames of 128x128 pixels on this AMD XP3200.

Confirmation of WR's report. I was finding this as well, also I accidentally set the width to 500, and it took ages to sort itself out.

Maybe allow a 0.25-0.5 sec wait for slider initiated redraw, but instant with typed [apart from sizes (!)- wait when they are changed]. When a change is detected, start the timer. With any subsequent change restart the timer. When the timerproc exeutes, kill it ready for a fresh restart. Just a suggestion.

DSP

request : 'duplicate layer' function

(oh, and btw, thanks a lot for this tool. much appreciated).

Really nice tool. Many thx. :)
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

thanks for comments.

yep, there is the performance problem :-o
now I recommend to set size small and number-of-frames small when you are designing.
hmm... the right pane had better be a layers assembled preview instead of the final rendering.

How much size(pixel) of knobs do you normally design? :roll:

g200kg wrote: How much size(pixel) of knobs do you normally design? :roll:
Ive been trying 31/63 frames of 128x128 pixel bitmaps; I typically do bitmaps 4x 'oversampled', for reducing (in this case to 32x32) in Photoshop.

g200kg wrote:hmm... the right pane had better be a layers assembled preview instead of the final rendering.
no, plese don't. It's nice to be able to see what the actual output really will look like.
How much size(pixel) of knobs do you normally design? :roll:
right now I'm working on a 18x18 knob. Although the final file needs 61, while working on it I reduce the amount of images to 5. :)

I just can't describe how nice this little tool is. :) Skinning has now become 100x more fun.
Last edited by sQeetz on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whyterabbyt wrote:
g200kg wrote: How much size(pixel) of knobs do you normally design? :roll:
Ive been trying 31/63 frames of 128x128 pixel bitmaps; I typically do bitmaps 4x 'oversampled', for reducing (in this case to 32x32) in Photoshop.
Me2, only using GIMP (OSS atcha, Sean!)

hmm... okay.
anyway i will try to improve the response even if the right pane refresh is slow.

Either that or put it in a separate thread, then the keyboard/mouse can carry on, and you just post updates to the thread which rerenders ;)

DSP

Keep up the good work g200kg, as this tool sure have evolved into something really usefull! :tu:

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”