KnobMan, the VSTGUI AnimationKnob bitmap generator

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

brok landers wrote:g200kg, you know what bothers me most?
i made a good collection of knobs now, and where i struggle all the time, is, that there's no preview-image in the load dialog ... that would be really great, as i then can see, before i load up a knob in knobman ... is that possible?
+1 like a image thumbnails.
+1 for saving images in the .knob file
+1 for a solo on the view layer tabs

What would help me a lot is being able to run multiple instances of Knobman, sometimes it doesn't work if I try to run two instances. Also being able to copy a layer from one instance of Knobman to another would be a great help too.

ahhh ... great idea ... i myself was often trying to use knobman multiple instanced ... sometimes it worked, sometimes both knobman crashed ...
and the layer copying would be great if you already made knobs, and while you're in the middle of creating a new one, you find that some certain layer of another knob you did before would be what would just fit to the new one ...
that brings me to another idea:

saving individual layers ... not as images, but as an knobman file ...
one could create a neat "toolbox" of useful layers that could be combined easily that way ...

oh, and, a preference setting where one could specify certain directories, that get remembered on load/save ... i.e. one for knobs, one for rendered knobs, one for layers ... you get what i mean ... ;)
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

The one thing that I would like to see it a 'fill' control. I sometimes get fustrated because it is very useful when I do work in photoshop,so I can take all the color out and just keep the embossing and other things. I miss it so when working in knobman. Don't know if such a thing is possible but is would be very welcome by me.

The new shape tool is a good idea but it only works now and again
Most of the time the spline handles arent available to be edited and that makes it pretty useless to be honest
I have even saved a .knob with a shape i liked and when reloaded the spline handles had dissappeared
Good idea but useless at the moment

NAS
Omerta

Also it seems if you shrink the spline handles to there minimum size they cannot be activated again
I think this is the problem to be honest
Looks promising though for the future ;)

NAS
Omerta

NAS wrote:The new shape tool is a good idea but it only works now and again
Most of the time the spline handles arent available to be edited and that makes it pretty useless to be honest
I have even saved a .knob with a shape i liked and when reloaded the spline handles had dissappeared
Good idea but useless at the moment

NAS
the handles are not displayed even if you clicked the "Blue" points?
and please try SHIFT+Click if you want to pull the minimized handle. that will give the priority to handles and control separately for two handle points.

Yes shift click indeed brings one handle into focus
Bit of a cumbersome way of working to be perfectly honest
Might be me though i guess

NAS
Last edited by NAS on Mon May 26, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omerta

Double post
KVR being a nipple

NAS
Omerta

hello,

i made many changes in this version.
Ver.1.17
http://www.g200kg.com/en/software/knobman.html

*Multiple instances and Copy/Paste across instance
*In-use texture/image-primitive files are embedded to .knob file
*.knob file format is changed to Faked-PNG file
(can be displayed as thumbnail on Explorer/OpenDialog. if you register "KnobManViewer.reg")
*TextureZoom parameter for primitives added
*Ctl+Tab/Ctl+Shift+Tab for change layer
*Change layout for the window is put in a XGA screen

YOU need to register KnobManViewer.reg (included in zip) by doubleclick. that will add the .knob file thumnail handler.

KnobManViewer.reg will add following entry:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.knob\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

the .knob files are now a kind of PNG file with embedded Knob-information. this registory entry will indicate the .knob files as images.
I conformed with WindowsXP but not sure about Vista. can someone report?

way cool!

DSP

Bit flaky but a good first step to thumbnailing
Thumbs.db is always in use and you cant move a folder of knobs
In fact the only way to get rid of a a folder or move it is to reboot

I have do not cache thumbnails active as well so it shouldn't even be doing it

NAS
Omerta

g200kg wrote:
  • *TextureZoom parameter for primitives added
    *Ctl+Tab/Ctl+Shift+Tab for change layer
A sepcial thanks so much for adding these 2 features :D

The other "extras" are of course also more than welcome ... 8)

g200kg wrote: YOU need to register KnobManViewer.reg (included in zip) by doubleclick. that will add the .knob file thumnail handler.
---
the .knob files are now a kind of PNG file with embedded Knob-information. this registory entry will indicate the .knob files as images.
I conformed with WindowsXP but not sure about Vista. can someone report?
Doesn't work on my Acer TravelMate (Vista).

[edit]
Well, it works fine using IrfanView.
I guess I'll use that one for browsing for now. :wink:

g200kg, this is nice, thanks!

ok, i added the reg entry via double click ...
previewing doesn't work here ...

however, what i was meaning when i was requesting previewing was, that the previewing should be embedded within the file dialogs ... so when i choose "open", i'd basically would like to see a window within that dialog to the right, showing the selected knobfile in the dialog window ... i use "details" view on all my folders, also within the file dialogs, so i'd like to see the thumbnail on the right in the open dialog ... is that possible?

btw, i use q-dir (www.softwareok.com) as my main explorer, and although q-dir has a preview window, the .knob files are not getting previewed there ...

win xp pro sp2 here ...

any suggestions?
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

It should work if you change the mode of the open dialog to "thumbnail".

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”