Win-to-OSX VST wrapper/adapter

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Jeff.

That's great news, particularly seeing I run Reaper as well. I'm going to move to Snow Leopard in the next few days as well. Can you share which version of Wine your using and how you compiled wacvst etc.?

Cheers.

Bill.

bennals wrote:Hi Jeff.

That's great news, particularly seeing I run Reaper as well. I'm going to move to Snow Leopard in the next few days as well. Can you share which version of Wine your using and how you compiled wacvst etc.?

Cheers.

Bill.
Well, I started off with the instructions on page 3 of this thread. When that didn't work, I read up and figured that I'll try it with the recommended Wine build - Wine-1.1.33. So went ahead and only uninstalled, the build of Wine that was present(I think it was 1.2). Reinstalled Wine-1.1.33 using the instructions by Retroware on page 6 of this thread. Didn't deviate a bit from the instructions!... And it just worked. After some trial and error moments, managed to get multiple plugins working as well. Almost 95% of the Windows plugins work There are a couple of plugins which have their licences in the Windows Registry(I guess!) and hence are not running. Am really not sure how to get around this.

Another vsti keeps crashing the dssi server. I believe this can be rectified by moving the required win .dlls to the Wine system folder. Does anyone have a clue as to which files are to be moved? btw, the vsti in question is Superwave P8.

Jeff

OK, so I'm revisiting this promising project after reading about Jeff's success (I'm also a Reaper-user).

This is what I did: uninstalled all older versions of wine, installed 1.1.33 from source using Retroware's instructions (got one error and had to build it without 16-bit support, is that a problem?) and then used the wacvst from the .dmg.

This is what I get when trying it with MissWatson:

c-ae56e255:~ jonaseriksson$ /Users/jonaseriksson/Temp/MissWatson -plugin=wacvst
+[0.000] This is MissWatson-v1.0.0, by Teragon Audio
+[0.000] VST is located at /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/wacvst.vst
+[0.000] Attempting load of MachO plugin
+[0.001] Loading plugin from resources
+[0.002] Finding plugin's main()
Returning file identifiers: 1EBtfitkDMoDxY9U7Rxe6pUe2h2QcR21NJEelX0es6
RemoteVSTClient: executing /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/wacvst.vst/Contents/Resources/dssi-vst-server.exe.so
wine: could not load L"Z:\\Library\\Audio\\Plug-Ins\\VST\\wacvst.vst\\Contents\\Resources\\dssi-vst-server.exe.so": Bad EXE format for
![15.034] Plugin's main() returns null
+[15.034] Attempting load of CFM plugin
*[15.038] Could not open plugin resources
![15.038] Plugin 'wacvst' could not be loaded

I've tried it with Glitch, Gsnap and Voxengo's Boogex but all with the same result. Any help is much appreciated!

Regards,
- Jonas
OS X 10.5.8

Found this (here http://www.listware.net/201005/wine-use ... t-for.html):
Re: Wine - ArdourVST error! (bad EXE format for)
by Edward Savageon 2010-05-11T02:00:46+00:00.
On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:37 AM, ejcottier wrote:
That isn't a win32 exe is it? .exe.so
Are you sure that is the binary you should be executing or that you
need Wine to run it?
Wine - Re: ArdourVST error! (bad EXE format for)
by vitaminon 2010-05-13T03:31:46+00:00.

Looks like a winelib app. Those will work -only- with the Wine version they were compiled with. Winelib is not ABI backwards compatible.
Could this be the source of my problems? In other words, do I need to use the version of wine that dssi-vst-server.exe.so was compiled with? (And what version is that?)

Or I could be totally wrong and this has nothing to do with anything. (Given my knowledge about these kind of things I'd say that's probably it : )

Regards,
- Jonas

JOnas666 wrote:Found this (here http://www.listware.net/201005/wine-use ... t-for.html):

Could this be the source of my problems? In other words, do I need to use the version of wine that dssi-vst-server.exe.so was compiled with? (And what version is that?)

Or I could be totally wrong and this has nothing to do with anything. (Given my knowledge about these kind of things I'd say that's probably it : )

Regards,
- Jonas
Yes, dssi-vst-server.exe.so at a minimum needs to be run with the version of wine that compiled it. But, I'm not even sure that is good enough. I think the only "safe" way to run dssi-vst-server.exe.so and hence wacvst is to build wacvst from source using the wine that is installed on one's local system. Distributing dssi-vst-server.exe.so as an executable hoping that it would work on a range of wine installations was a bad decision on my part.

retroware wrote:Yes, dssi-vst-server.exe.so at a minimum needs to be run with the version of wine that compiled it. But, I'm not even sure that is good enough. I think the only "safe" way to run dssi-vst-server.exe.so and hence wacvst is to build wacvst from source using the wine that is installed on one's local system. Distributing dssi-vst-server.exe.so as an executable hoping that it would work on a range of wine installations was a bad decision on my part.
Thanks for your quick reply. I downloaded the Steinberg VST SDK and tried building wacvst from source (downloaded it via svn) but got an error message since XCode couldn't find dssi-vst-server.exe.so

Code: Select all

pbxcp: dssi-vst-server.exe.so: No such file or directory
I tried using the dssi-vst-server.exe.so from tha wacvst.dmg and then wacvst.vst build without errors but when I tried it using MissWatson I got the same error message as above ("Bad EXE for...").

Did I misunderstand sth regarding the dssi-vst-server here? Should I build that as well from source? Or should dssi-vst-server.exe.so have been built automatically when i built the wacvst project?

As you can (quite clearly : ) see I don't know anything about building stuff from source, I'm guessing this is my main problem here. Thanks for your help and patience! Regards,
- Jonas

JOnas666 wrote: Thanks for your quick reply. I downloaded the Steinberg VST SDK and tried building wacvst from source (downloaded it via svn) but got an error message since XCode couldn't find dssi-vst-server.exe.so

pbxcp: dssi-vst-server.exe.so: No such file or directory
Before building the xcode project, you should build dssi-vst-server.exe.so. You currently need to do this from a terminal window. From the terminal:

cd to your wacvst directory
then simply type "make". 
This will build dssi-vst-server.exe.so. If you then build the xcode project, it will automatically include dssi-vst-server.exe.so into the package. Hopefully, this will get you past the "Bad EXE..." error.

Success!

First I had trouble compiling dssi-vst-server.exe.so but it turned out that that was because I han rev 1 of Steinberg's SDK (2.4), when I switched to rev 2 it built just fine. And after that wacvst built without a glitch!

Now I'm off to try it in Reaper. Thanks a million, I'll report back and create that PDf I promised : )

Regards,
- Jonas

do you plain to release a self working adaptater?

And success again!

... and notice that even presets work and that some plug-in have their corrct names, like this my favourite reverb:

As you can see it works great in Reaper as well! Have only tried it with a few plug ins but all that I've tried works with UI and all.

Now I'm quite serious about making a nice PDF explaining the necessary steps to get it working, but to do that I have a few (more : ) questions.

The method I'll outline is the one that includes building Wine from source, downloading the VST SDK and building dssi-vst-server.exe.so and finally building and configuring Wacvst. I used Wine 1.1.33 just because it was recommended to get Wacvst from the .dmg up and running. But now that everything is built from source, is it still important to use Wine 1.1.33 or could any (the latest?) version be used you think?

Regards,
- Jonas

JOnas666 wrote:And success again!

As you can see it works great in Reaper as well! Have only tried it with a few plug ins but all that I've tried works with UI and all.

Now I'm quite serious about making a nice PDF explaining the necessary steps to get it working, but to do that I have a few (more : ) questions.

The method I'll outline is the one that includes building Wine from source, downloading the VST SDK and building dssi-vst-server.exe.so and finally building and configuring Wacvst. I used Wine 1.1.33 just because it was recommended to get Wacvst from the .dmg up and running. But now that everything is built from source, is it still important to use Wine 1.1.33 or could any (the latest?) version be used you think?

Regards,
- Jonas
Jonas,

I'm glad its working for you and thanks for possibly taking on the documentation issue.

With regards to Wine, when building from source any version should work. I'd probably recommend the most recent version since Wine seems to improve with age....

A couple of issues that you may or may not have run into. First, it really isn't possible to have more than one wrapped vst. Several workarounds have been posted in this thread but none will work in all cases. What one needs is a small program that will go in and modify the wrapped vst binary to change its name. I'll code something up and post it to the svn repo when its finished.

A bigger issue has to do with GUI control. With some VSTs, clicking or moving a GUI element will freeze the DAW until the GUI movement is finished (firebird is one such vst but I'm sure there are others). I know what the problem is but a solution requires a fair bit of coding which I currently don't have that much time for.

Great going Jonas!!

Unfortunately, for some reason, I can't get any of my plugins wrapped in wacvst to be seen by Reaper anymore! I have no clue what happened and require you to post that pdf at the earliest :)

Thanks

with the wealth of excellent freeware available on windows I'd buy such a wrapper in an instant.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Veery interesting thread, thanx guys for all the good work, i need only one or two plugs from the PC VST World on my mac, maybe i can "wrap" them...

Frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

Hi,
I've gotten Glitch to load in Reaper with wacvst and X11 running on 64 bit Snow Leopard, everything starts up nicely. However...the plugin has no effect on the audio in the track. Seeing as how the creator of this got glitch to work right off the bat, is there any info that might help me figure out what's wrong? Anyone got any ideas?

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”