Win-to-OSX VST wrapper/adapter

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

except I just noticed that you got the wacvst wrapper to work using VFX's wine, that I didn't notice before...so my humble apologies....I am the one off in outter space.. I will try your approach soon...

Dewdman42 wrote:There is also something that Imageline made in conjunction with Codeweavers, called CoreASIO. This is even better then wineasio because it does not require JackOSX, but I have not been able to find it available anywhere. Its included in the OSX FruityStudio beta that went out a few years ago but does not appear to be available anymore. That was using wine also and they developed an ASIO driver for the windows side that communicates directly to CoreAudio on the mac side. But good luck finding that.
It has just become available again: http://www.image-line.com/documents/new ... c-osx-beta Not sure if the CoreASIO driver will work with other hosts in a Wineskin. If you try it I would be interested in how you get on.

Does anyone have any experience getting wacvst to run on Mavericks? I'm stuck at trying to build wacvst from scratch. Steinberg doesn't make the 2.4 sdk available anymore, but the aeffect.h files needed can be found. However, I'm getting an error that says 'support/win32/support.h missing for Xcode.

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../lib/c++/v1/cwchar:110:10: fatal error:
'support/win32/support.h' file not found

Any ideas?

Hi All -- I have a seemingly easy fix that I just can't seem to figure out. I followed the directions instructed here and tried to edit the .plist inside the package contents of the .vst file. It said that the volume it's in is read-only and I can't edit it at all.

I edited the permissions in terminal for that folder and every other folder (which when you go to get info to see the permissions, say's I have read and write permission) and changed them to read and write.

Any help on how to let me edit the config.plist file in wacvst.vst?

Thanks.

*bump*

Is there anyone out there with any interest in updating this for 2017 and beyond?

Anyone knows how to use this with newer Operating Systems, that would be great.

Happy New Year!

Sorry to be resurrecting this thread. I can't find any documentation for this issue otherwise I'd try to resolve it on my own.

I ran MrsWatson to test a wacvst wrap of SQ8L, and this is what Terminal spat out:

- 00000000 000001 MrsWatson version 0.9.7 initialized, build 20140125
- 00000000 000001 Plugin '/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Windows/SQ8L.vst' is of type VST2.x
- 00000000 000001 Opening VST2.x plugin '/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Windows/SQ8L.vst'
Returning file identifiers: ArvID1ipIjcUCbqcFbPTS4m37ghauicp4qNi3279O0
RemoteVSTClient: executing /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Windows/SQ8L.vst/Contents/Resources/dssi-vst-server.exe.so
Exec failed: Permission denied
E 00000000 015067 Plugin's main() returns null
E 00000000 015068 Could not load VST2.x plugin '/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Windows/SQ8L.vst'
E 00000000 015068 Plugin '/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Windows/SQ8L.vst' could not be opened
E 00000000 015068 Could not initialize plugin chain

This "permission denied" thing, is it not able to execute the "dssi-vst-server"? What do I do to grant it permission?

chmod 777 /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Windows/SQ8L.vst/Contents/Resources/dssi-vst-server.exe.so

just a guess from someone who doesn't even use a mac.
~stratum~

stratum wrote:chmod 777 /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Windows/SQ8L.vst/Contents/Resources/dssi-vst-server.exe.so

just a guess from someone who doesn't even use a mac.
Using 777 makes the file writable for the whole world. It would seem quite weird if that was required and you might want to consider using 755 (read/write/execute for user, read/execute for the rest of the world) instead.

ps. while it's not really a huge deal on a private development system, if your bundle ever gets installed on a multi-user system where permissions actually matter, having the mask set to 777 basically allows any user to take over the account of anyone that tries to run the program (as any unpriviledged user can replace the contents with arbitrary code) and personally I wouldn't want to do that to my users :P

Hmmmm. I tried both 775 and 777. No change; I'm still getting "Exec failed: permission denied." So weird.

mystran wrote: ps. while it's not really a huge deal on a private development system, if your bundle ever gets installed on a multi-user system where permissions actually matter, having the mask set to 777 basically allows any user to take over the account of anyone that tries to run the program (as any unpriviledged user can replace the contents with arbitrary code) and personally I wouldn't want to do that to my users :P
Thanks for the warning. :dog:
~stratum~

MCMorrise wrote:Hmmmm. I tried both 775 and 777. No change; I'm still getting "Exec failed: permission denied." So weird.
It might not only be due to that one single file, but everything within that .vst folder.
Have you looked into the console for more clues?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I'm pretty Console-illiterate. What should I be looking for?

Type

ls /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Windows/SQ8L.vst/Contents/Resources

to see whether there is anything else that might be of interest in that folder.

Another possibility is that perhaps the wine emulator itself does not have the required permissions (wherever it is installed, I have no idea, but find that and check its permissions.).
~stratum~

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”