Win-to-OSX VST wrapper/adapter

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe I'll try it again when I'm back on location... I really just want to use z3ta on my Mac. :pray:
You are currently reading my signature.

Does X11 have to be running for wrapper plugin to show up in the host?

djanthonyw wrote:Does X11 have to be running for wrapper plugin to show up in the host?
X11 should fire up automatically when the plug-in starts but it doesn't have to be running to show up in the host list - however I've only tried this in Live because Logic doesn't like VSTs. Have you tried loading Wacvst into Bidule - I think one of the versions of that is free. It might help with debugging the problem rather than trying to use an AU-VST adapter in Logic, especially as Logic does the preload AU testing thing, which can cause its own problems.

Also try wrapping a simple VST first, such as SQ8L (which I know does work), as that can help get it up and running before trying a more complex VST.

I've been trying it in Live 7, there's a demo of Bidule standalone, but not the plugin.

djanthonyw wrote:I've been trying it in Live 7, there's a demo of Bidule standalone, but not the plugin.
It didn't show up at first in Live 8 with SQ8L. I first set the bundle bit on the Wacvst folder then removed a couple of ancillary files that came with SQ8L and then it worked (I think that was all that I changed to get that to work).

Hmmmm,

anyone got energyXT vst (demo or full) working?

this project is looking really interesting!!

Subz

Anyone using this succesfully on Snow Leopard as yet? I upgraded tonight and unfortunately it deleted the /opt folder (where wine compiled to), and I haven't recompiled it as yet unfortunately...

Hi,

Just letting you know none of Bootsie's plugins (http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/) work, X11 2.4.0 crashing here on OSX.5.8...

A lot of other (even SE based) plugins do work,,, brilliant!

Just wanted to bump this one, on the Snow Leopard issue... wacvst isn't working in Snow Leopard unfortunately, been playing around with it an although Wine is correctly compiled and sitting in the appropriate directory, when I load a wacvst-wrapped plugin, Live 8 crashes.

My theory is it could be to do with the version of X11 that comes with SL (2.3.4). I tried installing 2.3.3.2 from the link Bryan J included in his awesome instructions, but it refused to install (saying "This version is designed for Leopard").

Any chance you might be able to revisit wacvst from a Snow Leopard-compatibility point of view?

why dose wine OSX need compiling? :cry:

Does anyone have this working on OS X 10.6.1? I tried installing wine through macports using porticus and it looks like there's a problem with freetype -- when I try to install fontconfig after installing freetype 2.3.9_1 with the +macosx+universal options it gives me the following error:
checking for freetype-config.. no
configure: error: You must have freetype installed; see http://www.freetype.org/

Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
Executing: /opt/local/bin/port install fontconfig +universal +macosx

...and ends up not installing it. I tried building freetype previously without the universal option and wine-devel said it wasn't installed...:help:

I'm having a different issue - trying to compile wine on 10.6.1 doesn't seem to work at all... I think it's related to Macports rather than Porticus but I'm not sure.. Here's the error message:

"Port command started with PID 1070
Computing dependencies for wine-devel
Error: Unable to execute port: can't read "build.cmd": Failed to locate 'make' in path: '/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' or at its MacPorts configuration time location, did you move it?"

I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling both Porticus and Macports, to no avail... any ideas what could be going wrong? Or is it simply a case of waiting for Macports and/or Porticus to be updated?

mustgroove wrote:I'm having a different issue - trying to compile wine on 10.6.1 doesn't seem to work at all... I think it's related to Macports rather than Porticus but I'm not sure.. Here's the error message:

"Port command started with PID 1070
Error: Unable to execute port: can't read "build.cmd": Failed to locate 'make' in path: '/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' or at its MacPorts configuration time location, did you move it?"

I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling both Porticus and Macports, to no avail... any ideas what could be going wrong? Or is it simply a case of waiting for Macports and/or Porticus to be updated?
Did you install Xcode and the rest of the dev. tools off the OS X CD? If you haven't, try that. 'Make' is a binary and isn't tied to macports/porticus, so your issue extends systemwide (thankfully, unlike linux, mac OS is heavily based on self installers and not software that builds on spot from code). While you're at it, make sure you have X11 installed on your system (available under "optional installs" on the OS X cd)

If you've already installed/reinstalled xcode, try searching for a mac installer of 'make' (I tried searching google but it saw 'make' as english and not as the software's name).

djanthonyw wrote:Where can I download the binary of Wine from?
Darwine is the OS X binary version, but as stated earlier in the thread, it's not exactly the same. It also made my system kernel panic yesterday while running TriX to install a number of updates that would be *really* useful for me to run other programs (though I'm not sure if they're necessary for WACVST).

You're better off getting macports and porticus -- with the gui, it's really easy to use. Type in wine, select from list, press install, ignore options and click ok, sit back and relax (for two hours) while it installs :D

Hmm ok so installing Xcode from the Snow Leopard DVD did the trick for my previous issue, but now I have a new one... one all the dependent packages were installed, I got the following error when trying to compile Wine itself:
Port command started with PID 22507
Configuring wine-devel
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure: shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_wine-devel/work/wine-1.1.29" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --x-include=/opt/local/include --x-lib=/opt/local/lib --disable-win16 " returned error 1
Command output: checking for xmlParseMemory in -lxml2... no
checking for xmlReadMemory in -lxml2... no
checking for xmlNewDocPI in -lxml2... no
checking for libxslt/pattern.h... yes
checking for libxslt/transform.h... yes
checking for -lxslt... not found
checking dbus/dbus.h usability... no
checking dbus/dbus.h presence... no
checking for dbus/dbus.h... no
checking hal/libhal.h usability... no
checking hal/libhal.h presence... no
checking for hal/libhal.h... no
checking gnutls/gnutls.h usability... no
checking gnutls/gnutls.h presence... no
checking for gnutls/gnutls.h... no
checking for -lncurses... not found
checking for mousemask... no
checking for sane-config... no
checking sane/sane.h usability... no
checking sane/sane.h presence... no
checking for sane/sane.h... no
checking for gphoto2-config... no
checking for gphoto2-port-config... no
checking gphoto2-camera.h usability... no
checking gphoto2-camera.h presence... no
checking for gphoto2-camera.h... no
checking for freetype-config... freetype-config
checking for -lfreetype... not found
configure: error: FreeType 32-bit development files not found. Fonts will not be built.
Use the --without-freetype option if you really want this.
Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
Executing: /opt/local/bin/port install wine-devel
Any clue what could be going on?

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”