what tools for GUI design (artwork)?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Who want's a graphic interface for audio software anyway? You want a command-line prompt or DOS-style ASCII interface. It's so much lighter and all those tech-geeks will worship you even if no one can use it... :ud:

Code: Select all

+----------------------------------------------+
| +------------------------------------------+ |
| | +------+---------------+----------------+| |
| | | /--\ |  /--\    /--\ |  /--\    /--\  || |
| | || ----| ---  |  | ----| ---  |  | ---- || |
| | | \--/ |  \--/    \--/ |  \--/    \--/  || |
| | | GAIN |  FREQ   CUTOFF| NOISE    WHACK || |
| | | +--+ | +--+ +-------+|+--------------+|| |
| | | +--+ | |--| |ENV: 98|||LFO MOD: SINE ||| |
| | | DIST | +--+ +-------+|+--------------+|| |
| | +------+---------------+----------------+| |
| +---_----______________--------------------+ |
|    | |  / / ___/_  __(_)  ASCII-ROCK  2004   |
| +--| | / /\__ \ / / / /----------------++--+ |
| |  | |/ /___/ // / / / HOST SYNC (ON)  ||--| |
| +--|___//____//_/ /_/------------------++--+ |
+----------------------------------------------+
Just kiddin'. Photoshop and PS Elements rule.

You™ wrote:You want a command-line prompt or DOS-style ASCII interface.
Nice work, YouTM... Finally a VSTi I can run in my VT100 terminal session.

Seriously, check out Macromedia Freehand MX 2004. In terms of cool text and vector effects, it has Illustrator beat (I'm afraid to say). The way it handles line and text effects is really cool: by applying them in a non-destructive infinitely editable way, stacking effects in hierarchies... pretty cool.
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

Hey DrApostropheX, I'm an Illustrator man myself but I hear ya. :) I just can't see using a vector tool to create what essentially need to be pixels - except for repurposing or resolution independence and all that. But hey, PS and PSE have vector style shape layers and non-destructive effects too. Plus you get that precision over each pixel that you sometimes need. (I know, I know - Freehand and Illustrator both have a pixel preview mode, but give me break...) Besides bevels, buttons and knob type effects (all of which you could do easily in either PS or PSE), I'm not sure why you would bother with 3D modeling and rendering. If you really want to do it on the cheap, go with Fireworks, PSE, or GIMP.

everything i did for my (relatively well-received at the time) synthedit gui work was done in paintshop pro ...

... much easier to get to grips with than potatoshop imho and just as good if you want 2d style gui as long as your careful ...

... but the real answer is - just use whatever graphics app YOU are most comfortable with - youll then find a way to do whatever you need to without stressing over learning new stuff or not being able to find certain features

slainte :) rob

I like to use MSPaint :D

and when I'm not doing that then Photoshop, Flash and occasionally CorelDraw but mostly for The panels so I can move things about and resize easier..
I was interested that amoeba was talking about corel scripts to animate knobs, and had done a really nice Triangle1 skin (I presume in Corel)

Don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you to do what you want. If anyone gives you advice like "whatever works," "what feels comfortable," or "don't worry," ignore them. They are trying to MAKE YOU FAIL. Notice that you're getting easy advice from people who've already made software. Can't you see that they are trying to steer you the wrong way? They can't stand the competition. You have to acquire the right application or everything will go wrong and nothing will work. :wink:

heehee @ you

slainte :lol: rob

Actually i'd love to hear fron the Northernbeat guys... what do you use for these ultracool skins ?

'Tick

aMUSEd wrote:Realdrawpro is rather brilliant for this sort of thing. It seamlessly combines vector and bitmap art with 3D so everything is fully editable but at the same time has the complexity of surface you get with a bitmapped texture. It also does animation and rollover effects and is a whizz for buttons etc. And it has far better and more editable lighting effects than Photoshop.

http://www.mediachance.com/realdraw/index.html

Don't know why it's not better known.
Hey Amused. I just checked this out on the website, and it looks absolutely superb! If this thing can really do all the stuff it says for $55, then thats just amazing. I have been researching into what graphics package to buy, and most seem to be too expensive for a fella like me, or just don't have enough features for web graphics. At this price, if it stands up to some testing, i'll definately buy it.

Cheers, i'll be checking this out when i get home i think! :D

One big drawback to the RealDraw Pro is lack of PhotoShop plugin support - something users have been asking for it to have for some time now. It's still pretty good though.

Fireworks may be worth looking at, Quincy. Especially as there's a recent version out now, the older versions are becoming available relatively cheaply.

I'm a XaraX fan too, but it's not been updated in a while, and I use a combination of Deneba Canvas / XaraX / Fireworks mainly.

I may have some things available for sale, Quincy if you're not in an immediate rush, including Fireworks 4 perhaps, depending on how I get on with the MX version.

:)
Mild-mannered web designer by day - tired web designer by night.

Gargoyle wrote:One big drawback to the RealDraw Pro is lack of PhotoShop plugin support - something users have been asking for it to have for some time now. It's still pretty good though.

Fireworks may be worth looking at, Quincy. Especially as there's a recent version out now, the older versions are becoming available relatively cheaply.

I'm a XaraX fan too, but it's not been updated in a while, and I use a combination of Deneba Canvas / XaraX / Fireworks mainly.

I may have some things available for sale, Quincy if you're not in an immediate rush, including Fireworks 4 perhaps, depending on how I get on with the MX version.

:)
Hey gargoyle. Thanks for the advice on different packages, much appreciated. I looked at Xara X because it seemed one of the few ones that left all drawing elements editable, but realdraw loks like it does more for less money.

As for fireworks, my fellow web-designer mate told me its really good, but very expensive(thats macromedia for you). How much do you think you'll be selling your version 4 for mate? And what other bits might be up for grabs?

Quincy,
Give the RealDraw demo a go and get back to me - I won't be selling anything right away anyway, and you'll need some time to see what you make of RealDraw. It *is* a decent package and may be exactly suitable for your needs. PM me anytime :)
Mild-mannered web designer by day - tired web designer by night.

Gargoyle wrote:Quincy,
Give the RealDraw demo a go and get back to me - I won't be selling anything right away anyway, and you'll need some time to see what you make of RealDraw. It *is* a decent package and may be exactly suitable for your needs. PM me anytime :)
Cheers Gargoyle, you're a good lad! :)

Xara-X

:band:

Perfect app and dead easy to use – though I am still crap at using it :lol: – sometimes :hihi:

Best regards,

Spe3d

:D

I must say that Realdraw is absolutely brilliant for freehand type vector drawings as well as quick and easy to manpulate buttons knobs etc. I've made full colour brochures with the thing (not really its function I know) and those turned out spectacularly.

Very quick for interface object prototyping for web dev when you're working with a difficult client.

The advanced rendering functions for artwork made with it are of the type you really don't see anywhere else..... and the ways you can apply other images to realdraw objects is really cool. However it doesn't do manipulations at a pixel level, that's what I have paintshop pro for.

Um...back to the thread about um er GUI development and um GUI's ;)

Spratman ;)
(Who doesn't work for Mediachance)

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”