Help with getting started with developing please!

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been very intrigued by the constant help provided here with developing new plug-ins and instruments. I would like to do my share if I can.

I'm interested in developing a couple of plugs, but need advice on what is the best to use. Of course, I've used Synth Edit for some basic stuff, but I'm now wanting to get into the nitty-gritty. I've dabbled in a bit of C++.

What else should I use? Can I do much VST-wise with C++, or is another language better to use? I've heard a couple people mention Delphi. Is one more efficient with VST creation.

Any help is appreciated. I'm sure this has been asked before, but I got lost searching through so many posts. Thank you very much! Cheers!

Koolkeys

C++ is definitely the way. Provides the most power anyways and you decide the complexity yourself really.
Karel Bassez
Software Engineer
Vienna Symphonic Library GmbH

I second that - C++. Another reason is that the VST SDK is written in C++. There have been ports to other languages, but these obviously take time to do - and you also would need to hunt them down.

If you are already familiar with c++ then it makes sense to use that, as you will have plenty of stuff to learn about DSP.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”