VST3: Is it worth supporting?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This though is unfortunately GPL2, making it useless in most cases.

(it seems their primary concern has been simply to provide VST support for GPL projects. not a 'free' BSD licensed interface SDK.)

LGPL2 would be acceptable.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

When I started developing plugins, I re-implemented the VST interface in pure C, mostly as an exercise in seeing all of what the SDK provided. I referred directly to the pluginterfaces headers for most of it (so, technically, it's tainted), but, in the event clean-room reimplementation is unnecessary, I could clean that up and upload it somewhere.

In the event we'd need something clean-room and un-tainted, what would be suitable as an intermediary format for describing the interface?
owner/operator LHI Audio

Your lawyer will say something like:

"How much would it cost to license it?"

"Free you say? Then license it."

*hands you invoice for $500 of consulting*

I've started writing one though, but never bothered to finish it.

I don't think it's required. Going by the definitions handed down by the courts c or c++ is just fine, so long as it is the bare implementation which couldn't be implemented any other way.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”