Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
1eqinfinity
KVRist

188 posts since 29 Apr, 2012

Postby 1eqinfinity; Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:48 am Re: Book: The Art of VA Filter Design 2.0.0alpha

Z1202 wrote:It's a bit strange to me that the diode ladder model sounds much better than transistor in your experiments. In my experience it's rather the other way around, although this might be subjective.

Maybe I missed something, have to look closer. But by better I mean given the same overdrive approach (overdriving the input and using transparent waveshapers) one sounds more interesting than the other, and vice versa.
aciddose
KVRAF

11855 posts since 7 Dec, 2004

Postby aciddose; Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:12 pm Re: Book: The Art of VA Filter Design 2.0.0alpha

1eqinfinity wrote:Sure it's different. It may have seemed as if I was drawing a general conclusion, but I was referring to the transistor model actually ;)

This is a general conclusion. You're assuming "this method isn't interesting with respect to X filter type" which is 100% untrue in reality. You're likely drawing your conclusion from an implementation which is incomplete.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
1eqinfinity
KVRist

188 posts since 29 Apr, 2012

Postby 1eqinfinity; Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:48 am Re: Book: The Art of VA Filter Design 2.0.0alpha

Ah, I see. You mean that this method can yield interesting results for this filter type if the nonlinearities are implemented differently. Ok, understood.
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development