Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
SPC Plugins
KVRist

62 posts since 28 Aug, 2011, from United Kingdom

Postby SPC Plugins; Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:45 pm Re: Apple's 'auval' can't see my Symbiosis-ported AU plugins.

How do I do that?

Steven Cook,
http://www.spcplugins.com
yeahtuna
KVRist

150 posts since 6 Mar, 2008

Postby yeahtuna; Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:44 pm Re: Apple's 'auval' can't see my Symbiosis-ported AU plugins.

Google it to be sure, but I think it's in your user folder under Library/cache or something.
Delfinoverde
Banned

Postby Delfinoverde; Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:13 pm Re: Apple's 'auval' can't see my Symbiosis-ported AU plugins.

com.apple.audiounits.cache > User > Library > Caches :tu:
SPC Plugins
KVRist

Postby SPC Plugins; Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:57 am Re: Apple's 'auval' can't see my Symbiosis-ported AU plugins.

Thank you. the results after deleting the cache are less clear to me than before: "auval -a" still lists only Apple AUs except for one third-party AU but I only installed that late yesterday, so I suspect it would probably have shown up without deleting the cache. Examining the Symbiosis.r file in the (Symbiosis-wrapped) AU which shows up indicates that it is ppc/i386 only - no 64-bit, so maybe this is a 32/64 bit issue after all - maybe "auval -a" lists exclusively 32 bit AUs only, although why then would the same command line list 32/64 bit AUs on a different Mac? I need a coffee (-:

Steven Cook,
yeahtuna
KVRist

Postby yeahtuna; Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:13 am Re: Apple's 'auval' can't see my Symbiosis-ported AU plugins.

A quick note in regards to cached AU stuff. When you are making new builds of your plugin, it's important that you update the version in the plist. I'm not entirely sure what actually happens, but I don't think Logic or auval will look at the new build if the version in the plist is the same as the previous bild, instead they'll assume it hasn't changed and use the cache instead. It's worth mentioning that Reaper does not use the cached so can sometimes be useful for testing 32 / 64 stuff.

so now back to my question from before. What method are you using to wrap your plugin with symbiosis?
SPC Plugins
KVRist

Postby SPC Plugins; Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:21 am Re: Apple's 'auval' can't see my Symbiosis-ported AU plugins.

I use the prebuilt wrapper with embedded .vst option - is that #2? I'm not sure how that relates to my problem though.

Steven Cook,
yeahtuna
KVRist

Postby yeahtuna; Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:04 pm Re: Apple's 'auval' can't see my Symbiosis-ported AU plugins.

I assume you did this:
Code: Select all
You then need to compile Symbiosis.r into Symbiosis.rsrc by using the "Rez" tool. There is a script included in the distribution called CompileSymbiosisRsrc.command that helps you with this step. Locate the script next to your modified Symbiosis.r file and double-click it (if you can't run the script you may need to perform a chmod +x on the script file from a shell prompt). Now look for Symbiosis.rsrc. Found it? Excellent!

I can't really think of what else could be going wrong. I compile the wrapper directly into my projects as I invariably need to make modifications to the code. I wish I could help more. Good luck.
SPC Plugins
KVRist

Postby SPC Plugins; Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:43 am Re: Apple's 'auval' can't see my Symbiosis-ported AU plugins.

Yes, I did compile the resource file. The problem isn't the way I'm building my AUs. As I said it affects all (but one) of the AUs I've tried on my Mac, not just mine, but the same AUs show up on other Macs I've tried, including mine. Somehow, it's something to do with my Mac. Perhaps I should try upgrading XCode and see if that helps - can't say I'm thrilled at the prospect however :-)

I'm sure you're right about compiling Symbiosis into the project - it's obviously a neater method. I'll give it a go.

Thanks for trying to help yeahtuna (and others) - I'll probably have to give up on this for now and bump it back up in another six months!

Steven Cook,
syntonica
KVRist

263 posts since 24 Sep, 2014, from Specific Northwest

Postby syntonica; Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:22 am Re: Apple's 'auval' can't see my Symbiosis-ported AU plugins.

I'm resurrecting this thread as I'm experiencing similar issues.

I can get it all to work when using the prebuilt runtime and placing my VST into the resources folder, but when I try to bake it in, compiling Symbiosis.mm and Symbiosis.r, the resulting component is not recognized as a valid component at all. The name is apparently missing!

I'm using the latest Xcode 8, and have triple checked all of the resource and plist settings to verify they are correct and present. The rsrc file is being created and included. My runtime is even properly bulked up by the addition of Symbiosis. I even verified my project settings against the demo project.

So: is my Xcode too new? is there some setting I'm missing? Is it my VST? Is it, God forbid, ME?? :o

Any suggestions?

(The Xcode 9beta is available. Should I bother at this point?)
syntonica
KVRist

Postby syntonica; Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:49 pm Re: Apple's 'auval' can't see my Symbiosis-ported AU plugins.

It was Xcode... :x

Booted back to Mavericks with Xcode 5.1.1 and it all worked perfectly. Don't know if it's just a setting in Xcode 8, but I'm happy.

Except...

Won't Carbon just DIE already? When opening up my AU, the first time the window opens, it a giant, white, moveable square about 3 times the size of my plugin. I have to close and reopen. Then everything is happy again. :party:

I don't use Carbon, just supply an NSView.
syntonica
KVRist

Postby syntonica; Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:45 pm Re: Apple's 'auval' can't see my Symbiosis-ported AU plugins.

Finally got it to work in Xcode 8. Had to add the flags and whatnot from the build script. Whew...

Still have a great white Malevich floating around though.
syntonica
KVRist

Postby syntonica; Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:46 pm Re: Apple's 'auval' can't see my Symbiosis-ported AU plugins.

And... solved the white window problem. Whew!

Thanks, Magnus, for saving me a month of work by only making me work 4 days! :D :clap: :love:
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development