Jack Audio/MIDI server for iOS, run multiple DAW apps with 2.9msec latency!

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ever wanted to run multiple Audio/MIDI apps connected with each other on your iPad/iPhone/iPod touch, and that with latencies as low as 2.9msec ?

Now it's possible, with the free JACK Audio Connection Kit which was just ported to iOS. Jack is a mature, high performance open source audo/MIDI routing system for Linux, OS X, Windows and now also iOS.

Get it here for your iOS device from the app store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jack-au ... d615485734

Adding JACK support for your iOS Audio/MIDI app, is a breeze:
http://www.crudebyte.com/jack-ios/sdk/d ... arted.html

Download the SDK from the site below,

http://www.crudebyte.com/jack-ios/

follow the quickstart documentation and in less than an hour your app will be able to run in parallel along any other audio/MIDI app which is Jack compatible transforming your iOS device in a full DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). Imagine apps like Garageband, Cubasis, Korg Synthesizers, multi-gigabyte streaming pianos like CMP Grand Piano all running in parallel on your quadcore CPU on your iPad 4 without needing to bring a laptop on the road. With rock-solid single digit latencies.

The advantage of using an iOS device for live music production or while on the road is obvious: compared to a traditional Laptop you enjoy ultra fast boot times, more stability (since the OS is light-weight), very easy software installation without cumbersome configuration, less risk of data loss due to the solid state, cloud support, etc.

Tell your favorite audio app developer about the existence of JACK Audio Connection Kit now and soon enjoy the power of a fully-fledged iOS based DAW !

You can follow news about Jack-iOS on twitter here:
https://twitter.com/crudebyte

Any lists of expected apps that will be compatible first?

I've moved this from Moble Apps and Hardware to DSP and Plug-in Development, where it belongs. Also deleted the similar post in a thread where it was off-topic (the thread for Audiobus applications).

I keep meaning to try Jack on Windows 7 but never get around to it. Maybe this year there will be time.

[edit: Good wishes retracted, since they were met with hostility.]
Last edited by Meffy on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Why has it been moved????
Instant human just add coffee

For the moderator:

JACK Audio Connection Kit is not a plugin system, but a inter-application
audio/midi/transport routing system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JACK_Audio_Connection_Kit

You run traditional audio apps (sequencers, samplers, synths, etc) in parallel and connect each other through virtual audio and midi cables.
The advantage of this is, that the app does not need to be radically modified like when ie making a VST/AU plugin out of a standalone app.

JACK Audio Connection Kit for iOS is a mobile application and therefore it belongs to the
"Mobile Apps and Hardware" subforum.
So please move it back.

If Audiobus can stay on the mobile apps forum, why not JACK ?
While it is only a small detail (moving it to the DSP and Plugin development forum), you are doing a disservice to your KVRAudio userbase.
It looks like you want to diminish the visibility of Jack, by moving the topinc to less frequented forums and delete postings by telling they are offtopic.

Regardless of your actions, the news about JACK are spreading, there is even a long discussion (now closed by the audiobus devs) on the audiobus forum.

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/603/j ... -to-ios/p1

For your information, JACK Audio Connection Kit has been created not by some hippies which want to take on Audiobus to make a quick buck, but by open source luminaries which have a track record of high quality and successful projects:

- Paul Davis: JACK project founder, amazon.com employee #1 after Jeff Bezos, now full time open source audio developer ( ardour.org DAW)

- Stephane Letz: JACK2 (multicore support) author, of Grame.fr (french music research institution)

- Christian Schoenebeck: JACK2 iOS port, main LinuxSampler developer (.GIG streaming sampler that runs on Linux/Windows/OSX)

Looks good, what's with the review on iTunes...
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jack-au ... d615485734

BiancaNeve wrote:Why has it been moved????
+1 Seems relevant to iOS, no? I have to agree with the OP that this could read like a biased action motivated by self-interest. The Audiobus people are no angels, contrary to popular belief.

This is the strangest move I've ever seen. This is iOS app and clearly doesn't belong here.
Dear mods, please move it back where it truly belongs...

Breeze wrote:
+1 Seems relevant to iOS, no?
Most of the original post seemed relevant to developers and this is where they live. So relevant here too, no?
I have to agree with the OP that this could read like a biased action motivated by self-interest. The Audiobus people are no angels, contrary to popular belief.
what self-interest? are you alleging that KVR's moderators have something to do with the Audiobus developers. jebus.
the OP wrote:It looks like you want to diminish the visibility of Jack, by moving the topinc to less frequented forums and delete postings by telling they are offtopic.

No, it looks like someone moved it to the developer forum because you aimed a fair part of your post at developers. Then it looks like you behaved like a conspiracy theory nut.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

No, it looks like someone moved it to the developer forum because you aimed a fair part of your post at developers. Then it looks like you behaved like a conspiracy theory nut.
:lol: Meffy picked it up, and slung him in the shark infested acid pools of DSP and Plug-in Develpment...RUN! Run as fast as you can!...

DaveHoskins wrote: :lol: Meffy picked it up, and slung him in the shark infested acid pools of DSP and Plug-in Develpment...RUN! Run as fast as you can!...
I've always found DSP to be full of helpful folks willing to share expertise.
Breeze wrote:
+1 Seems relevant to iOS, no? I have to agree with the OP that this could read like a biased action motivated by self-interest. The Audiobus people are no angels, contrary to popular belief.
Since I'm in no way an "Audiobus people" that's a bit of a stretch, don't you think? Regardless, the OP deliberately chose to post in a thread specifically for Audiobus applications, and this is a competing technology. That's dirty pool in my book.

Also to the OP, please note: DSP and Plug-in Development. "Download the SDK from the site below" means you're appealing to developers, yes? However, since you've begun yet another duplicate thread in Mobile, I'll lock this one.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”