Wusik 4000 Module SDK Docs Ready

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Wusik 8008

For the C++ brave coders out there. Just updated the first draft doc for the Wusik 4000 Module SDK. (Windows/MAC)

Edit: this allows any C++ coder to create custom modules for our Wusik 4000 modular-synth project. :hyper:

https://github.com/Wusik4000/Wusik_4000 ... aster/Docs

and the first Gain Effect example.

https://github.com/Wusik4000/Wusik_4000 ... n%20Effect

Soon we will work on more examples and update the doc with more information.

Best Regards, WilliamK
Last edited by WilliamK on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just updated both PDF and source files with better examples.

Anyone? :hihi:

Many thanks WilliamK !!!!!

What's that supposed to be, and why is it obviously closely tied to JUCE?
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image

@Alihu you are welcome! :hug:

@Arakula Wusik 4000 is a new modular-synth project by Wusik. It allows open-source custom modules to be created and used with it, and it's totally cross-platform, that's why it uses JUCE for the whole thing.

Thanks, this helps out, I forgot that some users here are not C++ coders. :dog: Sorry guys, my bad. :oops:

I must protest regarding the unnamed enums, huge chains of if{}else where a switch statement would have worked and so on.

Most notable of the so-ons is that you're using:

Code: Select all

class name
{
 public:
contents...
};
When you could have used:

struct name
{
 contents...
};
The preprocessor macro functions for accessing arrays are also horrifying.

Ah... also the double underscores... Isn't that space supposed to be purely owned by the compiler?

The more I look the more stuff I find. You might want to review the code quality a bit.
Last edited by aciddose on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Got it, but please, help me out them? :hihi: :hug:

Well I don't want to try to force anyone to use a particular set of rules for code.

Generally though I use struct where the object is simply a container for data with maybe some accessor functions, but generally public data members.

When I use class the object is fully encapsulated, no public data members, usually the interface is abstract.

Any time I need to check more than three static == conditions related to a single variable I use a switch.

if (v == a) else (v == b) else (v == c) to me looks a lot more difficult to read than switch (v) case a: case b: case c:.

My header ifdef wrappers all use this format: inc_file_name.

If you're really worried about name collisions why not go with wusik4000_inc_file_name ?

Double-underscore isn't exclusive to the compiler, but the compiler is not allowed (or shouldn't be) to define anything without one. I find it useful to maintain this separation so that any time you see something like #if defined(__WIN32) you know it's defined by the compiler, while #if defined(WUSIK4K_WINDOWS_VERSION) is clearly code-defined.

Little things like that can make a big difference to readability in my experience. Although preferences vary of course...

I wouldn't be comfortable making those sorts of massive edits to your code (if that is what you mean by "help") unless you want to write a standard for the format of the code which I'm sure you could find a lot of voices wanting to put in their 2c here.

My own standards are changing over time and you can see when I wrote a particular piece of code based upon how it was written :)
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

Actually what you did was what I was thinking as help. Since I'm swamped with things to do here, and very tired already with all the hard work I have done so far on W4k, I need directions. ;-) Thanks for the effort. Not sure if I can do the changes right now, but I will keep those in mind. If you ever have the time and feel like, please, could you make a list of everything you would think would be good for me to change, with some examples on how to? :hug:

aciddose wrote:I must protest regarding the unnamed enums
And please, what does that means?

You've used:

enum 
{
 apple, banana, celery,
};
Which is "unnamed". Enums should have a name, like:

enum fruit_vegetable
{
 apple, banana, celery,
};
When you use any sort of code analysis tool the enum will now show up as "enum fruit_vegetable" not "enum unnamed_13583".

Also, my recommendation is while waiting for proper enum class support from c++2011, wrap enums in a struct like this:

struct fruit_vegetable
{
 enum T
 {
  apple, banana, celery, 
 }
 fruit_vegetable(int i) { v = T(i); }
 fruit_vegetable(T i) { v = i; }
 operator const T &() const { return v; }
 operator T &() { return v; }
 T v;
};
For this I use a macro function:

#define encapsulated_enum_members(name, defaultvalue) name() : v(defaultvalue) {} \
	name(int v) : v(T(v)) {} \
	name(T v) : v(v) {} \
	operator T() const { return v; } \
	T v
Then:

struct fruit_vegetable
{
  enum T
 {
  apple, banana, celery,
 };

encapsulated_enum_members(fruit_vegetable, apple);
};
Then you can use the type fruit_vegetable as a type-safe variable for function calls, for example.

My favorite use is:

fruit_vegetable v = fruit_vegetable::celery;

switch (v) {
 case fruit_vegetable::apple:
}

Ah!

Also, please use namespaces.

namespace wusik
{
 namespace _4k
 {
  struct mouse_event
  {
   enum T 
  {
        // Mouse Event Types
        invalid = -1,
        down = 0,
        up,
        drag,
        enter,
        exit,
        move,
        wheel,
   };

encapsulated_enum_members(mouse_event, invalid); 

struct flag
     {
       enum T
       {  
        invalid = -1,
        RightDown = 1,
        LeftDown,
        MiddleDown,
        MenuDown,
        ControlDown,
        AltDown,
        ShiftDown,
        CommandDown,
        WasClicked,     
        };

encapsulated_enum_members(flag, invalid); 
     };
  };
 };
};
If you use structs this way to wrap the enums you can also forward-declare them and this allows you to put each type in it's own header.

using namespace wusik::_4k;

function(mouse_event event, mouse_event::flag flag)
{
  switch (event) {
   case mouse_event::down:
    if (flag == mouse_event::flag::LeftDown) { 
    }
   break;
  }
}
Of course I'd use slightly different methods like a struct with several bools, one for each button, but that's an aesthetic choice I think.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”