VSTi controllers

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Firstly, everybody on this forum has been very helpful in getting me through my first real attempt at a programming project

I am trying to work out how to read in controller values for Cubase into my VSTi, for example volume or pitch bend controllers. Is this done as a Midi signal in? I am finding the (usually good) documentation a little confusing on the subject

Are there any examples or links to relevent articles people could post.

Thanks in advance

T* :)

Howdy,
I'm not sure how cubase works, but in FL Studio you just click "link to controller" and turn a knob on your controller and then you're twistin away.

Might want to consider FL as an alternative, it'll make your life a lot easier. :wink:

Mr.Me wrote:Howdy,
I'm not sure how cubase works, but in FL Studio you just click "link to controller" and turn a knob on your controller and then you're twistin away.

Might want to consider FL as an alternative, it'll make your life a lot easier. :wink:
don't listen to him! you'd have to search and ask as many questions for FL as anything else. :wink:
I assume you're working in SX? I can't help you, I'm still at 5.1
(I'd give FL away, but my wife gave it to me for my birthday)
here's a link to a very elementary tutorial on sequencing in sx, it may have the info you're looking for.
http://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/~lrlang/music ... l#sections
Last edited by bluedad on Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluedad wrote:
Mr.Me wrote:Howdy,

don't listen to him! you'd have to search and ask as many questions for FL as anything else. :wink:
I assume you're working in SX? I can't help you, I'm still at 5.1
(I'd give FL away, but my wife gave it to me for my birthday)

well why not give pao away as part of the package :D

:-o

:lol: :lol:

dont tell her i said that :shock:

First off, your vsti should respond equally in all hosts.

Thankfully, this is pimps (scottish word - means "very easy").

The pitch bend , volume controllers and CCs in general will be sent to your plugin as midi messages by the host. You should therefore deal with them in your event processing code - the same place you deal with note on/offs etc.

FL isn't that bad. Don't use it for anything major. I'm a Reason kid anyway

Not sure I've explained my problem properly tho. I'm actually coding the VSTi and I want to know how to get it to understand controllers sent from Cubase

i_dream_stars wrote:FL isn't that bad. Don't use it for anything major. I'm a Reason kid anyway

Not sure I've explained my problem properly tho. I'm actually coding the VSTi and I want to know how to get it to understand controllers sent from Cubase
oh, I suppose I should have looked at the forum name!
:lol:

Oh, well in that case what are you coding it with?

Visual C++

All continuos controller messages are midi messages.

To interpret these in your synth you will need to learn the midi specification. It is not long so it shouldn't take much time:

http://www.srm.com/qtma/davidsmidispec.html

Once you have learnt that then check the how the Synth example with the latest SDK handles midi messages, you should then get a bit of an idea what to do.

enjoy

Harry

You pick up midi events in a VST by providing an implementation for the virtual function, processEvents();

You'll get a structure which will tell you when particular events will occur in the next audio buffer that you process.

p.s. check the VST documentation for the correct prototype for the processEvents function!

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”