Hosting Slate VCC, FG-X

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am experimenting with VST hosting in my app. So far I've managed to load and process audio thru many diff plugins (PSP, IKMultimedia, Nebula etc. etc.) without noticeable problems.

I have a problem with Slate VCC and FG-X, though. They load ok, controls are working. The only thing is that meters are not working, regardless of input signal.

VTM is surprisingly working :)

Does anyone know - do Slate plugins require some kind of special treatment ??

Thanks in advance!
Zabukowski

have recently purchased exact the same plugins (VCC and FG-X)and no special treatment here. everything works as expected: sorry, i cant help! maybe it's a graphic card issue on your side?
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Have you programmed your own VST host? Plugins are working in other hosts, not working in mine, so i am trying to find a solution ...

Yes of course. :)
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Ok, thanks for info

I don't have much experience with VST hosting, so i guess i am doing something wrong here. But strangely, all other plugins are working, including Slate VTM.

Again, processing is working, knobs are working, only meters are dead.

I don't suspect graphic card problem, because these problems are not present in other hosts. Definitively VCC/FG-X are somehow different.

I have editor opened in main thread and processing is done in a separate, audio dedicated thread.

If you have any ideas what can cause this problems, please let me know!

Thanks for help!
Zabukowski

Either you don't send effEditIdle or you don't process audioMasterIdle.
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image

arakula wrote:Either you don't send effEditIdle or you don't process audioMasterIdle.
Hm, actually i do both - i guess other plugins shouldn't be working otherwise ?

if (opcode == audioMasterIdle) {
if (effect)
effect->dispatcher(effect, effEditIdle, 0, 0, 0, 0);

SetTimer (hwnd, 1, 20, 0);

case WM_TIMER :
if (effect)
effect->dispatcher (effect, effEditIdle, 0, 0, 0, 0);
break;

I noticed VCC use audioMasterGetCurrentProcessLevel. I've tried to return every possible value with no sucess (from host callback)

Thanks!
Zabukowski

zabukowski wrote:if (opcode == audioMasterIdle) {
if (effect)

That's no good idea. You've just been called by the PlugIn to do your idle stuff. That's a good time to process pending screen updates (on Windows, that would mean processing queued WM_PAINT and WM_NCPAINT messages), but calling the PlugIn with effEditIdle from within the callback is rather useless.

arakula wrote:
zabukowski wrote:if (opcode == audioMasterIdle) {
if (effect)

That's no good idea. You've just been called by the PlugIn to do your idle stuff. That's a good time to process pending screen updates (on Windows, that would mean processing queued WM_PAINT and WM_NCPAINT messages), but calling the PlugIn with effEditIdle from within the callback is rather useless.
Yes, i agree. I've just added this looking at Teragon MrsWatson code, it has no effect, though.

My app is using QT framework and i use standard Windows dialog for effect windows. Maybe there are some problems related to this, but again, only for mentioned plugins.

Ups, i was not aware that Arakula stands for Herman Seib !!!! :oops:

Respect, your VSTHOST is a great piece of software and invaluable resource for developers.

Big thank you !!!!!

Unfortunately i am still stuck with non working meters on VCC & FG-X. I've dig into VST host and Audacity sources and just can't find something reated, which could make a difference. I've followed all the rules, but still no success.

Again, all other plugins including VTM are working (IKM, VUMT, S-Gear etc. etc.).
This is really weird, can't imagine what could be the cause :(

I am sure something is wrong in my host, but what, ehhhh ...

I'll have cut down my code to minimum and start from the scratch, i guess. Most of the VST code is from SDK's minihost.

Still not sure if QT framework is making any difference.

Thanks for help!
Zabukowski

zabukowski wrote:Still not sure if QT framework is making any difference.
Perhaps it'll help checking out vstboard which is an host built with Qt framework too.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vstboard/

eidenk wrote:
zabukowski wrote:Still not sure if QT framework is making any difference.
Perhaps it'll help checking out vstboard which is an host built with Qt framework too.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vstboard/
Thank you, great host as well, very complex :)

I've checked it, as expected everything works. I'll try to contact author, if he had encountered any problems with QT/VST combo. He uses some kind of MFC/QT migration package.

Thanks!
Zabukowski

zabukowski wrote:Ups, i was not aware that Arakula stands for Herman Seib
After all, it's not relevant to your problem anyway.

Unfortunately, I'm out of additional ideas, since I don't use Qt; but I'd suspect the problem lies there.

arakula wrote:
zabukowski wrote:Ups, i was not aware that Arakula stands for Herman Seib
After all, it's not relevant to your problem anyway.
If I knew who it is Arakula, i would thank you for VSTHost already in the first post :)

Zabukowski

Finally, I've found the cause for this misbehavior:

Moving processReplacing call to the main "audio callback" function of my host solves mentioned problems. Previously it was called from a separate, synchronized thread.

Looks like processing call not being 100% bound to audio interrupt is causing anomalies with GUI of these plugins.

Good to know :)

Thanks everybody for your help!!!

Zabukowski

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”