Help with aftertouch

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there

I'm looking to use aftertouch in Unison, our next synth. However I haven't used aftertouch before and I wondered if anyone has an information about using it in VST synth , programming snippet etc would be really useful

Cheers

Jon : ConcreteFX

I don't understand what you mean really. If it's just channel aftertouch you are after, then it's just used as any normal CC. Care to elaborate?

Cheers.
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

Hi there

I was confused between aftertouch and channel pressure
looking at the midi events for 0xAx or OxDx never seemed to produced anything , any ideas ?

Cheers

Jon

stefancrs wrote:I don't understand what you mean really. If it's just channel aftertouch you are after, then it's just used as any normal CC. Care to elaborate?

Cheers.
I think your right, it's just midi messages on the same cc, isn't it?

of course those extra message are only send by a keyboard that supports aftertoch
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Jon,

Aftertouch data is sent with bytes 0xA0 to 0xAF where the low nibble is the midi channel. There then follow two bytes of data. Byte one is the midi note number (0..127) and byte two is the amount of aftertouch.

The key difference between aftertouch and channel pressure is that aftertouch is applicable on a NOTE_BY_NOTE basis!!!!! Channel pressure affects all notes currently playing on that channel.

Lots of data to play with , Jon :shock:

Best of luck.

Hms, no, the first two bytes SHOULD be 0xAx, are you sure you send the right stuff into the synth? :)
Stefan H Singer

Jon - are you sure you don't have aftertouch filtered out in the host? :P :hihi:

Hi there

Thanks for the information, the problem that I have is the fact that I don't have a keyboard with aftertouch so it's difficult to test . Does any one know about a virtual software keyboard (or something like that) that can generate aftertouch data

Cheers

Jon

Your host? :)
Stefan H Singer

Hi there

Mostly FL, Chainer or Tracktion but I can try other hosts as well

Cheers

Jon

Hi there

I've found a program called RelayKB that can generate virtual aftertouch data , so I'm going to experiment with this

Cheers

Jon

I thought any host could do it, but I've only used cubase really (since 2.8, but still).
In SX2, create a "controller lane" in a midi part and pick channel pressure. Draw some neat shit. Voila.
Stefan H Singer

Hi there

Strangely enough only Cubase seems able to do this , can't seemed to do aftertouch in FL, Chainer or Tracktion unless I've missed something . So what I'm going to do is to experiment with virtual aftertouch and see what I can figure out

Cheers

Jon : ConcreteFX

Hi there

I think I've got aftertouch working , whoopee !

Cheers

Jon

You can definatley do channel after tough using the midi out generator in FL studio. Not sure about note aftertouch though. I expect it records it, but who knows if you can actually see the data? I suppose it would be simple enough to load a midi file in and find out.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”