Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

echosystm
KVRist

62 posts since 24 Oct, 2006

Postby echosystm; Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:24 pm JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

Hi guys

I'm about to give my first plugin a try and I was just wondering which framework is best to use. I've done a bit of searching, but haven't managed to find any concise comparisons of the available options.

I guess my main query is whether JUCE is worth the cost, or is WDL-OL just as good?

Thanks!
hibrasil
KVRian

708 posts since 23 Jun, 2002, from York, UK

Postby hibrasil; Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:11 am Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

i'm copying here a post i did on the Cycling74 forum answering a similar question:

JUCE:

has good documentation
    has consistent and high quality code
    has a big user base
    very good graphics capabilities (including vector graphics, accelerated stuff etc)
    has a rather nice project generator (the introjucer)
    much more than just plugins
    still some issues with UIs not getting key events it seems
    doesn’t impose particular thread safety technique - need to work that out yourself

WDL-OL/IPlug:

Perhaps easier for C++ beginners
    Concise plugin implementation
    Many helpful scripts (does entire plugin building and packaging workflow)
    IDE projects setup for debugging in lots of common hosts
    Free
    Possible to fork it and “own” your version
    Perhaps less of a moving target
    Uses rather brutal mutex locks for thread safety

I think JUCE is well worth the money, but i like the simplicity of implementing plugins in IPlug.

I’m actually working on a new version of IPlug that is based on VST3 and is lock-free. Also the graphics can be done using whatever framework you like (IGraphics, JUCE, VSTGUI etc)
VirtualCZ | pMix | Endless Series | WDL-OL |Linkedin

Available for Audio Dev tuition via Skype (IPlug/JUCE/C++)
hibrasil
KVRian

Postby hibrasil; Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:13 am Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

if you're just starting, you don't have to purchase JUCE just to experiment with it BTW.

Mayae
KVRian

516 posts since 1 Jan, 2013, from Denmark

Postby Mayae; Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:46 am Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

echosystm wrote:Hi guys

I'm about to give my first plugin a try and I was just wondering which framework is best to use. I've done a bit of searching, but haven't managed to find any concise comparisons of the available options.

I guess my main query is whether JUCE is worth the cost, or is WDL-OL just as good?

Thanks!

Since you're worrying about juce's costs, i'm presuming you're not going to GPL it (it's free if you open source the project). Given it's your first plugin, i would go with wdl-ol (very easy).

If you're aiming for crossplatform and you don't have a lot of existing library code to handle that stuff, juce will be a lot less painful since it includes crossplatform classes for nearly everything. And as said, juce has a vast library for extended graphic capabilities.

Remember, the standard model for plugins besides graphics is virtually the same across all known plugin frameworks, so the parameter / dsp / state part of your plugin is easily ported - don't worry about locking yourself in too much.

I would check out both though :)
Platinum Samples
KVRist

123 posts since 23 Aug, 2006, from Los Angeles, CA

Postby Platinum Samples; Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:54 am Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

hibrasil wrote:still some issues with UIs not getting key events it seems

This was recently fixed.

Rail
Architeuthis
KVRAF

2873 posts since 27 Jan, 2006, from Phoenix, AZ

Postby Architeuthis; Thu May 22, 2014 2:23 pm Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

hibrasil wrote:I’m actually working on a new version of IPlug that is based on VST3 and is lock-free. Also the graphics can be done using whatever framework you like (IGraphics, JUCE, VSTGUI etc)
Is that going to improve upon VST2 as well, maybe allow you to use other graphics frameworks for the other plugin formats as well, or strictly be a VST3 fork?
hibrasil
KVRian

Postby hibrasil; Thu May 22, 2014 3:03 pm Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

the new version does VST2,VST3,AU,AAX and standalone app. No more RTAS support. The same GUI is used for all formats whatever you choose to use.

gnjp
KVRist

164 posts since 11 Feb, 2006

Postby gnjp; Sun May 25, 2014 12:16 pm Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

Is the new version available?
hibrasil
KVRian

Postby hibrasil; Sun May 25, 2014 12:22 pm Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

not yet, hopefully within a few weeks i'll find the time to do it

keyman_sam
KVRAF

3964 posts since 7 Mar, 2005

Postby keyman_sam; Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:13 am Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

If I develop a VST3 plugin in WDL-OL can I also build a VST 2.x easily?
random_id
KVRist

293 posts since 30 Apr, 2006, from lancaster, pa

Postby random_id; Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:23 am Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

keyman_sam wrote:If I develop a VST3 plugin in WDL-OL can I also build a VST 2.x easily?

Yes. Once you have VST3 and VST SDKs setup, it is very easy. In most cases, you don't have to do anything different to build VST3 and VST. Occasionally, there are some issues, but most things work without any extra coding.
keyman_sam
KVRAF

3964 posts since 7 Mar, 2005

Postby keyman_sam; Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:07 pm Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

random_id wrote:
keyman_sam wrote:If I develop a VST3 plugin in WDL-OL can I also build a VST 2.x easily?

Yes. Once you have VST3 and VST SDKs setup, it is very easy. In most cases, you don't have to do anything different to build VST3 and VST. Occasionally, there are some issues, but most things work without any extra coding.

Thanks, that's good to know.

I've followed the WDL-OL guide to get things running in Visual Studio. I might be daft, but how do I get it running in Eclipse Neon? The wdl plugin folder only has Visual Studio solutions. What are the steps to get the build working in Eclipse?
Miles1981
KVRian

1260 posts since 26 Apr, 2004, from UK

Postby Miles1981; Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:18 pm Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

You need to create all the individual projects you have in VS and configure the same flags for the compiler.
But I don't know why you would leave the best IDE ever, especially for Eclipse...
jabe
KVRian

1421 posts since 8 Oct, 2008, from UK

Postby jabe; Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:22 pm Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

I got an email that says JUCE5 is free to personal users as long as their annual related revenue is below $50k. That'll give people chance to try it out. Details on the link below.

https://www.juce.com/releases/juce-5
[W7-32, T5/6/7/8, Gina16][W10-64, T5/6/7/8, 32&64, Spike], everything underused.
Xenakios
KVRian

988 posts since 9 Sep, 2005, from Oulu, Finland

Postby Xenakios; Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:28 am Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

jabe wrote:I got an email that says JUCE5 is free to personal users as long as their annual related revenue is below $50k. That'll give people chance to try it out. Details on the link below.

https://www.juce.com/releases/juce-5

This is a nice development in the JUCE licensing. However, nothing is really free in this world...Using JUCE with that licensing option means your app/plugin will have to show a JUCE splash logo on start up and JUCE also sends some data to Google Analytics. Especially the latter seems to have been a big deal for many people in the JUCE forum. Personally I think I could probably live with that but of course it has to be made clear for the end users why the software is trying to use the internet connection.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development