Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

No_Use
KVRAF

2145 posts since 13 Mar, 2004

Postby No_Use; Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:38 am Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

Xenakios wrote:
jabe wrote:Using JUCE with that licensing option means your app/plugin will have to show a JUCE splash logo on start up and JUCE also sends some data to Google Analytics. Especially the latter seems to have been a big deal for many people in the JUCE forum. Personally I think I could probably live with that but of course it has to be made clear for the end users why the software is trying to use the internet connection.

Yeah, saw that too.
Not too happy about the data collection as well, I think I'll stay with the free JUCE 4 version for now (where above isn't the case afaik).
Xenakios
KVRian

907 posts since 9 Sep, 2005, from Oulu, Finland

Postby Xenakios; Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:51 am Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

No_Use wrote:I think I'll stay with the free JUCE 4 version for now (where above isn't the case afaik).

Which "free" version of JUCE 4 would that be? Previously you had 2 choices for the license :

-Free of charge GPL license and then you had to also release your own source code as GPL.
-Commercial

Nothing has changed for you if you use the GPL license. Users choosing that license are allowed to disable the splash logo and data sending. If you previously had a commercial license, then that wouldn't be "free", right...?

JUCE 5 now has a 3rd alternative, commercial license which one doesn't have to pay for, but it has the requirements of the splash logo and allowing sending the data to Google Analytics over the internet.
No_Use
KVRAF

2145 posts since 13 Mar, 2004

Postby No_Use; Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:31 am Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

Xenakios wrote:
No_Use wrote:Which "free" version of JUCE 4 would that be? Previously you had 2 choices for the license :

-Free of charge GPL license and then you had to also release your own source code as GPL.

This one I meant.
As currently I have no plans to do commercial closed source stuff that's fine for me personally.

Nothing has changed for you if you use the GPL license. Users choosing that license are allowed to disable the splash logo and data sending. If you previously had a commercial license, then that wouldn't be "free", right...?

But the slight difference to JUCE 4 is that now you have to build the Projucer yourself to be able to disable splash and data collection while JUCE 4 didn't have this built in to start with or did I get that wrong ?

I generally get a little bad feeling is something like this is 'opt out' and not 'opt in' but as you said nothing comes really for free so I'm not complaining just a little grumbling. :)
Vertion
KVRist

213 posts since 29 Oct, 2016

Postby Vertion; Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:36 pm Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

:?: :?: :?:

Other than JUCE and WDL and VSTGUI, are there are more performance driven cross platform libraries.. perhaps more for 2d graphics output? I would like to use vector graphics for my own gui here I am grinding out.... other developers.. what c++ libraries do you prefer other than JUCE for graphics? Thoughts on Crazy Eddies GUI? I'd like to animate the entire interface.. completely vector based. What do you recommend?'
stratum
KVRian

1199 posts since 29 May, 2012

Postby stratum; Mon May 01, 2017 5:02 am Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

Crazy Eddies GUI

I needed something similar but I had a requirement for changing the target rendering system easily (i.e. replace it with something that I have written instead of choosing one among the alternatives).
This one was exactly what I looked for in terms of simplicity, but unfortunately it also renders very simple-looking widgets https://github.com/ocornut/imgui Might be a good fit if you are willing to modify its source code.
~stratum~
Vertion
KVRist

213 posts since 29 Oct, 2016

Postby Vertion; Wed May 03, 2017 3:35 am Re: JUCE vs. WDL-OL vs. ?

stratum wrote:
Crazy Eddies GUI

I needed something similar but I had a requirement for changing the target rendering system easily (i.e. replace it with something that I have written instead of choosing one among the alternatives).
This one was exactly what I looked for in terms of simplicity, but unfortunately it also renders very simple-looking widgets https://github.com/ocornut/imgui Might be a good fit if you are willing to modify its source code.

Good call Stratum! I love this thing, integration time.. weeee!

It looks especially great for direct no-nonsense dry guis... like say Ableton.
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development