Apple bringing new audio tools to iOS8 and OSX Yosemite

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's the article but it looks exciting:
http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/04/new-for-a ... ures-more/

It'll be interesting to see how it all works and using an iPad to send midi to Mac and vice versa

it will interesting to know if swift will replace object c. Each 2 years I have to write everything from the scratch

I don't know who's to blame for the current state but are there any changes in AU which allow to get rid of the MIDI-controlled FX category and send audio to instruments or MIDI to regular FX?
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

medienhexer wrote:I don't know who's to blame for the current state but are there any changes in AU which allow to get rid of the MIDI-controlled FX category and send audio to instruments or MIDI to regular FX?
AU Instruments (Music Devices) can have audio inputs. Logic displays those as external side chains.

Regular FX exist, but they don't have a MIDI layer. Hence everyone does (or should do) MIDI Controlled FX.

I think there's still no proper MIDI output routing for anything. They still have to define their own nodes (which is very flexible but also very confusing for the user).

Logic still can't route MIDI to insert/send effects, it can only route MIDI to effects instantiated on instrument tracks. That's the most stupid flaw that's still in existance, and not attributed to AU per se.

Thanks, Urs, that's really helpful information. When I saw how Live is handling it, I thought that was kind of a hack around AU limitations. So it's really my favorite DAW's shortcomings instead...

Well, they seem to have regained some input to the OS development and be tackling long standing issues and requests with their new-found energy inside the Logic team (improved CPU-distribution over multiple cores, AU tagging / categories, the rework of the channel EQ hopefully means a rework of all legacy stuff is in progress, better integration of iOS devices for audio...).

And overall, the WWDC keynote sounded as though Apple was currently focussed less on end users and more on developers and content creators. They even included developers in their OS X marketing campaign. I still haven't given up hope of seeing Space Designer and others being calculated on the GPU. Maybe Metal is a sign of things to come?
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:it will interesting to know if swift will replace object c. Each 2 years I have to write everything from the scratch
Old gramps used to say, "If you keep picking at that sore it ain't ever gonna heal up." :)

JCJR wrote:
Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:it will interesting to know if swift will replace object c. Each 2 years I have to write everything from the scratch
Old gramps used to say, "If you keep picking at that sore it ain't ever gonna heal up." :)
:)

:-)

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”