convolution osc

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

often thought convolving a BLIT/sinc impulse oscillator seems like an obvious form of (emulative) synthesis i don't believe i've seen anyone do. haven't tried it, don't care to today.. but thought i'd chat and see. the closest i've seen to it is julius smith's model which triggered an impulse sample at audio rate (and mixed it with filtered noise)..

i figure FFT convolution would be a simple method of emulation more satisfying than resampling due to the fixed spectrum. if you bite it and swallow the framerate and latency, modulating between data sets ought to yield decent timbral flexibility.

the other alternative is to trigger impulses at pitched rates which would remove the latency but be computationally inferior at high pitches, which, for many musical purposes, can be capped.

certainly this generalised method would lack the nuance required for quality emulation and really offer little more than sampling beyond the fixed spectrum, but that seems like enough to have seen it around??
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”