OPINION NEEDED - Master MIDI Suite for live performance, to be developed

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello friends from KVR!

I am currently evaluating the pros and cons of creating a MIDI suite to help the keyboardist improve his/her control over several aspects of a live performance. I plan on developing it in Java, then export to Steinberg SDK's own native format, through jVSTwRapper. My main idea is to transfer some of the MIDI performance capabilities of some keyboards and vst hosts to a single standalone/plugin software.

Giving an example: My Korg M50 has a x/y joystick. When you load an organ program, you can flick the y axis up, and this has the effect of a trigger button, which switches on the rotary speaker effect. I haven't seen any virtual instrument giving you this freedom. Unless you own a wheel-type mod control, you can't set the rotary permanently on or off on with non-button controls. So, this is a feature I wanted to export from my keyboard to other vst, that is, to use a joystick's flick moviment as a trigger.

Also, I want to include more known features, like input velocity curve, modwheel and pitchbend responsiveness curve, dead zone for sensitive controls (in case you have a loose joystick axis), assignable (learn and manual set) controls and functions for notes and buttons, as well as the joysticks... and the list goes on.

I want to know if you guys/gals have any ideas for this project, what have you ever needed (MIDI and live performance related) in a vst host or a vst instrument that they doesn't have yet? This project is currently being evaluated by the graduation board at my college, so that I can develop it into a valid graduation project. If you do allow/wish, I can include reference to you all in my final report, since you are providing valuable info and requirements for the software :D . I also plan on releasing a version of it in KVR, so that you can enjoy my - OUR work.

Please be creative, and share your ideas! :hyper: :D

High regards

Blacksmith

Come on people! 40+ views already and no input... let's share!

Is this going to be a fully fledged live host or more of a MIDI processor ?

No_Use wrote:Is this going to be a fully fledged live host or more of a MIDI processor ?
I'm currently considering a standalone MIDI modifier to use with something like MIDI yoke, or a vst plugin, or maybe both, in time... but not as structurally complex as a host.

Thanks.

I could have given some input for a live host.
But MIDI wise, the first that comes to mind (for me) is easily creatable key-split zones. (For playing more VSTi's with a single keyboard).

The split zones should ideally be MIDI learnable (for quick assignment). Also transpose functions should be included.

Hope that gives you some ideas...

No_Use wrote:Thanks.

I could have given some input for a live host.
But MIDI wise, the first that comes to mind (for me) is easily creatable key-split zones. (For playing more VSTi's with a single keyboard).

The split zones should ideally be MIDI learnable (for quick assignment). Also transpose functions should be included.

Hope that gives you some ideas...
It is I who thank you. The split function shall be a nice feature for the standalone version, as the plugin version should only work for a single track, or rack (could it be done otherwise, nonetheless?). Transpose functions are a must! Thanks for remembering me that. Though I would like to hear your ideas for a full-fledged vst host, I hope there is something there that I can adapt for my project, or for my own live playing on the hosts I use.

Cheers! :D

BlacksmithVRS wrote:
No_Use wrote:Though I would like to hear your ideas for a full-fledged vst host, I hope there is something there that I can adapt for my project, or for my own live playing on the hosts I use.
- snapshots / scenes, recallable with MIDI assignment, for single VSTs but also globally

- feedback to MIDI controller for learned parameters, also on snapshots / scene change (I use a BCR2000 with endless knobs)

- I used to do live processing of acoustic sources, so I need BIG input and output meters in my host to see where the levels are (sometimes sound monitoring on stage is not so ideal)

No_Use wrote:- snapshots / scenes, recallable with MIDI assignment, for single VSTs but also globally
Have you seen what Cantabile Performer does? This seems just like the thing you are looking for. I began using it for live impros and will explore its potential in my next youtube upload.
No_Use wrote:- feedback to MIDI controller for learned parameters, also on snapshots / scene change (I use a BCR2000 with endless knobs)
No idea, you mean those buttons which move themselves? I don't have a mean of testing it...
No_Use wrote:- I used to do live processing of acoustic sources, so I need BIG input and output meters in my host to see where the levels are (sometimes sound monitoring on stage is not so ideal)
Yeah, that's for audio... I don't think it is valid to place I/O meters on a MIDI-oriented plugin... is it? Maybe as a plugin, I could capture the track's I/O.

BlacksmithVRS wrote:
No_Use wrote:- snapshots / scenes, recallable with MIDI assignment, for single VSTs but also globally
Have you seen what Cantabile Performer does? This seems just like the thing you are looking for. I began using it for live impros and will explore its potential in my next youtube upload.
Thanks, but I already have found a host that does everything I listed + all the other stuff I need (Sensomusic Usine).
I thought you just ask me to list what I find essential for my own needs in a live host. :D
No_Use wrote:- feedback to MIDI controller for learned parameters, also on snapshots / scene change (I use a BCR2000 with endless knobs)
No idea, you mean those buttons which move themselves? I don't have a mean of testing it...
Yes, either motorized faders or endless rotaries.
No_Use wrote:- I used to do live processing of acoustic sources, so I need BIG input and output meters in my host to see where the levels are (sometimes sound monitoring on stage is not so ideal)
Yeah, that's for audio... I don't think it is valid to place I/O meters on a MIDI-oriented plugin... is it? Maybe as a plugin, I could capture the track's I/O.
You're right, again I was just listing essential things for me in a live host. :)

Ok! Those are great ideas. I have taken notice of everything I could develop in my project. Thanks for sharing ;D

You're welcome. And good luck with your project.

Heres a nice java vst plugin

http://www.parkingb.be/zweeger
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Heres a nice java vst plugin

http://www.parkingb.be/zweeger
This is very cool! Thanks for this info. It is basically the same method of programming what I'm going to do. I may contact the author, see if I can get some help from him. Also, gonna download his plugin and try it out, may enlighten me in my "quest" :hihi:
Though I'm aiming for something innovative, something that hasn't been yet tried out. Otherwise, I would not try to build a vst myself. Would you like to share some thoughts? Something useful I could put in my plugin?

Cheers!

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”