Skinning engine & editor

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

For my current and future plugins I developed a JUCE based skinning engine and editor to transform 3D renderings into plugin UIs. I was thinking of open sourcing it to the public so people can use and improve it. It should be quite easy to make it wrap existing plugins that do not have UIs.

Thought I would have to clean up the code to make it more understandable to outsiders.
What do you think? Is it worth the effort? Anyone interested?

Cheers!

JM

Hi Jan Manuel,

I just checked your UI's again, and think they look really great and very professional - and I'm not especially fond of skeumorphic UI's in general.
I don't use Juce myself as I rely on a custom 2D procedural drawing backend, but I'm sure many people doing pseudo 3D UI's would be very interested by your engine, especially if it allows to render elements in real time, to allow for scaling, transforms etc.

Cheers,

Lorcan

I have tried my hand at using Blender for a UI design, but hit a wall as to how best integrate it. OpenGL is one solution, I assume JUCE would use it's OpenGL backend as well?

I just slice, combine and fade the final renderings. There are of course drawbacks to this method, like you can can't really make API style knobs for example (they are fiddly to use on an ui anyways) and animation phases should not blend into each other too much.
So no, the said engine is not a realtime 3d engine, it just slices images and stitches them together, but with some extra features and its quite convenient. I guess I'll set up a GIT hub repo (without cleaning up the code) the next week or so, so you all can give it a shot.

Cheer!

JM

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”