Ported my app/plugin to Windows via JUCE. Now how do I handle purchasing/licensing/copy protection?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

On Mac and iOS, its been pretty easy to sell via the Mac and iOS App Stores. My Audio Unit plugin version even just checks that the Mac App Store version is installed.

Windows, on the other hand, feels like the wild west. It doesn't seem like I can use the Windows Store because of its API restrictions. There are other options like Fastspring or Steam. Or even just using Paypal directly.

What path should I take?

How about http://www.dontcrack.com
Also have you considered Rack Extensions? which manages payments and provides provides copy protection that has not been beaten thus far (not to mention it has its own plugin store).

avasopht wrote:How about http://www.dontcrack.com
Also have you considered Rack Extensions? which manages payments and provides provides copy protection that has not been beaten thus far (not to mention it has its own plugin store).
RE only works in Reason (hardly the broadest platform available). OP could make an arrangement with Paypal, and handle the authorization manually, protecting with a serial number (Urs, from U-He uses a method like this, and has some neat coded time-bombs in the code that check the validity of the serial number from time to time). This is, IMO, the best and more friendly copy protection.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
avasopht wrote:How about http://www.dontcrack.com
RE only works in Reason (hardly the broadest platform available). OP could make an arrangement with Paypal, and handle the authorization manually, protecting with a serial number (Urs, from U-He uses a method like this, and has some neat coded time-bombs in the code that check the validity of the serial number from time to time). This is, IMO, the best and more friendly copy protection.
Nothing stopping you from doing both ;) as Urs does.

And although it's not broad it has 0% piracy and if you check out the store you'll realise that there are many unmet needs. From a business perspective that's a gold mine. As for number of users, ... well KVR puts it as #2 after ProTools :? (yes, I'm as confused as you are). I'd imagine those high FLStudio results are more down to piracy.

I'm currently gauging the Rack Extension market with some marketable products, which will give me good indication of how it compares to VST.

I think Jules told on the JUCE forum that he is working on a marketplace for software made with JUCE, and he has added some features on his SDK for doing that yet. You should have a look at this.

Wolfen666 wrote:I think Jules told on the JUCE forum that he is working on a marketplace for software made with JUCE, and he has added some features on his SDK for doing that yet. You should have a look at this.
Yes, about time! Looking forward to it.

Wolfen666 wrote:I think Jules told on the JUCE forum that he is working on a marketplace for software made with JUCE, and he has added some features on his SDK for doing that yet. You should have a look at this.
???

Any links to this?

http://www.juce.com/forum/topic/new-tra ... ace-module

The hard part is the whole backend side, as it involves slightly more advanced hosting, SSL certification (mandatory in several countries), more critical legal aspects and a bucket of technologies. However, an experienced web-dev can setup a basic, working system within a day or two. Expect to spend some time and or money anyway.

OP: Work with paypal and/or high level "aggregators" such as moneybookers. They are fine. And their cut is much, much smaller (lol). Paypal Express checkout (with IPN) works perfectly fine and is definitely safe, cheap and by far the most accessible e-payment solution around.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

They also need to manage tax calculations based on origin of purchase.

Thanks all!

I had previously assumed the Tracktion Marketplace (the JUCE store mentioned above) was just for the Tracktion DAW, but it seems it can be used with any app or plugin, which is cool! But should I be worried that potential customers would jump to the same conclusion? "Oh, that's for Tracktion. I don't want to switch DAWs." Seems like a branding problem, no?

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”