How many people on this forum...

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

... actually earn a living by creating VST Instruments / effects?

Its a question that I have been thinkinhg about for a while, and especially now as i am to graduate from University in June :shock: :shock: :-o !!

I would love to work on creating VST's as my main job but would just like to know how realistic this really is...?

any thoughts.... :help:

Cheers
This is Anne, don't laugh

I have 3 days left in my old job, which I have quit for fulltime development.

It doesn't look too shabby for me, I think I'll make it in a moderate way, but certainly not comfortably.

I have worked for over 3 years to reach this point, while having another job and no fixed liasions with girlz (they don't like it if you don't have time for them, you know).

On the other hand, you could try to hire at a company. Unfortunately, there are no big companies. You should at least have 2 or 3 impressive effects done in your leisure time, otherwise an application at NI/Steinberg/Apple/Ableton doesn't make much sense.

This "industry" is a great thing to take part in. It's an island in a world of crap jobs. You gotta show a lot of motivation, skills and creativity to make a living from it, but it keeps you away from the MySQL/PHP/Oracle/JAVA/WhatSoEver shit. Latter gets you more money, but way less satisfaction.

Oki. Just my opinion, of course.

;) Urs

thanks for the information

I think that this area is very rewarding and i enjoy all aspects of the creation of an interesting instrument/effect,

I'm gonna have to kep on truckin' !!!

just looked at your zebra instrument -- Wow, very impressive. If thats what you need to create to gather interest,

I have a long way to go...!

yorkie wrote:just looked at your zebra instrument -- Wow, very impressive. If thats what you need to create to gather interest,

I have a long way to go...!
Hahahaha, thanks :D

Well, I think it doesn't take a Zebra. After More Feedback Machine and Zoyd came out, I got quite some job offers. But maybe that was more related to my knowledge of Audio Units than to my plugins...

I have once applied for a job at NI, back in 2000, but they didn't even invite me for an interview. At that time I had a VSTi that was basically a slow version of Zoyd, but I didn't know what I had, so I havn't sent it with the job application.

Cheers,

;) Urs

Hey Urs,

Glückwunsch :)
You are my personal hero.
All the best of luck from me for your new profession.
I'm not quite there yet.
What kind of income is it gonna be comparable to?
- homeless
- Burger flipper
- engineer
- doctor
- some transzendental fullfillment that can't be described in money.

Urs wrote: I have once applied for a job at NI, back in 2000, but they didn't even invite me for an interview.

Cheers,

;) Urs

hihi - Herr Schmidt wird deshalb bestimmt irgendwann mal seinen Hut aufessen. :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

peteblues wrote:Hey Urs,

I'm not quite there yet.
- homeless
- Burger flipper
- engineer
- doctor
Hahaha,

it's not really comfortable, but this may change once I have more than one payware plugin...

<bragging mode>
and of course it may change with the upcomming reviews of Zebra 1.5 in US, UK, JP, DE, FR, ES magazines, I think about 15 in total, where the first two reviews, based upon the current beta gave me 9-10 points out of 10
</bragging mode>

However, making your own business or joining a company is a tough decision.

Having your own business of course is more fun, but it's also a little bit funny :D

Cheers,

;) Urs

Urs wrote:
peteblues wrote:Hey Urs,

I'm not quite there yet.
- homeless
- Burger flipper
- engineer
- doctor
Hahaha,

it's not really comfortable, but this may change once I have more than one payware plugin...

<bragging mode>
and of course it may change with the upcomming reviews of Zebra 1.5 in US, UK, JP, DE, FR, ES magazines, I think about 15 in total, where the first two reviews, based upon the current beta gave me 9-10 points out of 10
</bragging mode>

However, making your own business or joining a company is a tough decision.

Having your own business of course is more fun, but it's also a little bit funny :D

Cheers,

;) Urs

it's a f**king great synth..
(I'd buy a Mac just to run it :D)

get the PC version ready and take care of your customers and you'll make money alright
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

(I'd buy a Mac just to run it )
Hey Urs, there's your perfect copy protection :D
get a deal with Apple to sell Zebra with a Mac :shock:

peteblues wrote:
(I'd buy a Mac just to run it )
Hey Urs, there's your perfect copy protection :D
get a deal with Apple to sell Zebra with a Mac :shock:
Hmmm, for a hardware version of Zebra, a G5 is too cheap...

(well, maybe it is so cheap because it doesn't have midi by default, nor has any Apple keyboard black and white keys at the same time?!?)

Cheers,

;) Urs

Urs wrote: <bragging mode>
</bragging mode>
and of course, as soon as you port it to windows you can have a few of my euros to help you out......
ARPocalypse - AT - wiz - DOT - nildram - DOT co - DOT - uk

and the other developers? What about the god in the scene: rgcaudio? I know that Dash and reFX guys live from developing VSTi´s.

@Urs: that sounds like there are not many profs who can create/convert to AU´s? So it´s a little "Marktlücke" ?? :) Good for you 8)
Do you really think noone will buy Zeb as PC VSTi? When you want to live fulltime from Synth-developing isn´t it a must do release as PC VSTi??? :?:

Ingo
(still waiting for my delay correction on MFM :lol: :lol: )
Induljon a banzáj!

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”