A little help with knob design

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It seems like you need to get some more information from the developer:

Should the graphics all be in one big file, one file for each button/knob, or one file for each button/knob state?

File format?

What resolution should everything be?

What about masking? Does each element need to be merged with a background? 1-bit masking? 8-bit alphas?

As usual, for GUI design I'll take the opportunity to recommend Art of Illusion, a FREE but quite full-featured 3D modeling/animation/rendering program written by my brother. http://www.artofillusion.org
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Thanks Deastman; I saw the plug to AoI before, but I just grabbed it now and will try it later.

Good questioning there; very helpful :)

I'll slowly grow into it.

I guess I'd prefer using photoshop, as I think that is one amazing tool for design. A little teaser:

I made an action for Photoshop(6.0) to do some rotations.

80 frames(4.5 degrees each) for a full turn where it creates a new
document and add 80 layers with the frames.
(select the layers that should be rotated before
you run the action)

Then you got 3 actions re-sizing current document to 24x24,32x32,48x48 pixels where the
action will put all frames beside
each other to create a final bitmap.

The rotation was made for a 512x512 document so
you´ll have to change the new document post
or crop when the rotation is done if you are using another size....

http://hem.bredband.net/b161498/80frame ... resize.atn

//Daniel :)

Thanks Daniel; will be trying this out later :)

don't forget though that usually, knobs don't turn 360 degrees. They're much more usable if they only turn from the 7 oclock-ish position to 5 oclock-ish.

but a whole turn is more flexible since you can
truncate the end result any way you want....
(from the technical create point of view)

//Daniel :)

nice :D

Come to think of it, I've been getting heavily into scripting Photoshop with Javascript lately. I might look into creating some GUI assistant tools for PS or Illustrator. As soon as I'm over the flu, that is... :(

deastman wrote:Come to think of it, I've been getting heavily into scripting Photoshop with Javascript lately.
Has Photoshop got a com interface? What version did that appear in?

first one on google was a hit:

RLH Knob Render for Photoshop

under resources
I hope you find it useful :)
Come to think of it, I've been getting heavily into scripting Photoshop with Javascript lately.

Has Photoshop got a com interface? What version did that appear in?
Scripting support is a free upgrade for Photoshop 7, and an integrated part of Photoshop CS (As far as I remember).

I am working on version 3 of my Knob Render actions, which will be scripting based.

Cheers,
Rune

Apparently there has been some level of scripting support for a few versions now, although I just recently discovered it. Prior to CS, you had to download the extension from Adobe, but now it ships already installed. VBScript on PC, Applescript on Mac, and Javascript on both. The latest version (CS) adds some important functions, such as the ability to determine the size of a layer.

I recently developed a script for a DVD authoring project I was working on which required hundreds of menu items on dozens of DVDs. I built a script which generates all the menu graphics and then builds a DVD Studio Pro project file, all linked up, authored, and ready to burn.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”