Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Ambrose0123
KVRer

1 post since 15 Jan, 2015

Postby Ambrose0123; Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:59 pm VST PlugIns, Freeware, and VSTSDK Licensing Agreement Question

Hi all,

This seems like a frustrating question that rears its ugly head every once in a while on the forums (from what I can see); but, I'm having a moral dilemma and I would really appreciate y'all's help.

Is it legitimate and legal to download freeware VSTi plugins that do not rigorously follow the VST SDK agreement?

This thread seems to imply that it is really only a concern for developers who wish to publish their software under a GPL license: viewtopic.php?t=215382

However, these threads suggest that any software developer who creates a vsti must fulfill certain obligations in order to publish the product, even if it's freeware (because it assumes that all vst software is created with the vstsdk): viewtopic.php?t=380920 and viewtopic.php?t=103192

Any help anyone can offer on this question would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you!
Windmiller
KVRist

34 posts since 14 Aug, 2013, from SWEDEN

Postby Windmiller; Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:59 am Re: VST PlugIns, Freeware, and VSTSDK Licensing Agreement Question

Ok I don't know the answer but I could guess it is fine to download, because you don't know if they are following it or not before you see the content.

I've signed it and sent the contract (did never receive anything back though), you must also have the VST logo with the "VST is trademark of.." somewhere within the plugin / manual. And this is a MUST! Otherwise you will have nightmares about evil Germans :D

I hope I got the question right here..
Miles1981
KVRian

1254 posts since 26 Apr, 2004, from UK

Postby Miles1981; Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:55 am Re: VST PlugIns, Freeware, and VSTSDK Licensing Agreement Question

Actually, you can't download a GPL VST (i or not) without infringing the original VST license. GPL means that the VST files have to be provided under a GPL license as well, which is not possible. A modified GPL could work (but you can't mix it with another GPL project).

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development