Legal question relating to hardware convolutions inside instruments/effects

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I'd just like to clarify any legal do's and dont's when it comes including convolution based samples of hardware in your work.

I would gather from nebula products it's legal to use them but it's not legal to name them without approval? Is this correct?

Forgot so say, I own the items myself that are being used, if that makes any difference and they are files I created.

Cheers guys.

Two basic issues; basic digital media copyright, and trademarks. No different from any other sampling.

1) Any redistribution of anyone else's source material can only be done with permission. So if you're relying on taking an IR of someone else's convolution device or impulses, you're in the same position as sampling an existing recording. If its an analog, or entirely algorithimic, device, then there's no 'recording' copyright to infringe.

2) Dont use trademarked names without permission
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Yeah, I'm not re-distributing :)

Thanks for pointing that out. I was a little unsure on the naming as kontakt has a MPC-60/SP-1200 mode, I can't imagine akai/emu said, "oh yeah those are spot on" so I was a little confused, also some convolution reverbs do name hardware models but not manufactures, eg, model numbers like 480l

HardSinc wrote:Yeah, I'm not re-distributing :)
For private, personal use, you can basically do what the hell you want. As soon as you pass on anything derived from an existing recorded work, that's where copyright starts applying.
Thanks for pointing that out. I was a little unsure on the naming as kontakt has a MPC-60/SP-1200 mode, I can't imagine akai/emu said, "oh yeah those are spot on" so I was a little confused, also some convolution reverbs do name hardware models but not manufactures, eg, model numbers like 480l
When its a large company, I'd assume they either have permission, or their lawyers have checked and there's no applicable trademark.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

It is something a lot of developers are doing in hidden form. It is very difficult to have a proof (in most of cases they are not exactly irs). Emulating a device is pretty common both in hardware and software world. Brand names should not be used.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”