parameter automation

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi everyone,

i'm just coding my first vst synthesizer with steinbergs c++ sdk. and with some help from here and musicdsp.org i'm pretty satisfied with the result. but i've got a problem with the automation of parameters.
i want to automate some of my controls (i.e. cutoff frequency) but there is no example in the sdk for that. i'm assuming that i have to use the VstParameterProperties struct and getParameterProperties, but i don't know how to do that.
it would be nice if someone could help me.

thx tobias

automation is simply a case of having some of your parameters implemented as standard vst parameters.

From memory:

in your constructor, define the amount of paramters your plug offers,

implement get and setParameter to notify the host of chnages to that param val, or respond to automation/program changes accordingly.

I'm not quite sure what you aren't understanding, but if that doesn't clarify I can maybe try and post a psuedo code snippet.
Someone shot the food. Remember: don't shoot food!

depends if you want to automate it with midi cc's or with vst parameters.

true, but typically even if CC automation is supported, VST automation would be required as well. Given that, massafagga could just implment a processEvents and call setParamater accordingly.

valley wrote:true, but typically even if CC automation is supported, VST automation would be required as well. Given that, massafagga could just implment a processEvents and call setParamater accordingly.
certainly could - I wasn't disagreeing with what you'd said, was merely pointing out to massafagga that it would depend upon whether by "automation" he meant midi cc or vst parameter automation.

Atmosphere is an example of a plugin that (bizzarely & highly annoyingly) has cc automation, but doesn't have parameter automation.

texture wrote:Atmosphere is an example of a plugin that (bizzarely & highly annoyingly) has cc automation, but doesn't have parameter automation.
?? That *is* bizarre. :?

Seems like a curious design choice too, CC automation being as it is, way lower resolution than VST automation.

thx a lot for answering,
i meant vst parameter automation. but i solved my problem. the problem was that i thought automation of plugs is the same as automating the mixer, and i had to implement something else to be able to do this, but i just pushed the wrong buttons in cubase. :roll:
now i found out how it works. :D
thx for your help, otherwise i would be still searching.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”