ReWire must be replaced.

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK so first off, I'm not a programmer, I have no idea how hard this might be in practice, but there is a distinct lack of easy software out there that replaces ReWire.

On OSX anyway, you can "emulate" most of what rewire does, set up MIDI between DAWs, audio routing, and basic start stop functions etc. It takes IAC, and some third party software, but it's 'almost there'. Rewire as it stands makes one DAW lose it's VST plug ins as a 'slave' I hear on Windows there are a few DAWs that do not lose VSTs, but that's not the case for most.

A large number of DAW users these days are using more than one DAW, some monster DAW like Sonar, Logic, Cubase etc. and any number of more target audience DAWs like Bitwig, Live, ReNoise etc. In daily use I end up all the time wishing for this, I use Digital Performer and Live, Live loses VSTs and Max for Live when ReWired into DP9.

Some audio + MIDI and timeline linking application that worked like ReWire but did not affect the DAW in losing VSTs etc. would in my opinion sell very very well. I do not know how hard it would be on Windows, but it seems like all the parts are there in OSX anyway, if they can be linked into a single easy to implement application I think it would make someone some good money, just in Live users alone.

machinesworking wrote:I do not know how hard it would be on Windows, but it seems like all the parts are there in OSX anyway, if they can be linked into a single easy to implement application I think it would make someone some good money, just in Live users alone.
There are a lot of tools for it on windows too. Like, use Jack, VAC, .. for audio routing and VirtualMidi, LoopB1, ... for control signals.
ReWire is now about 20 years old and it was already a pain in the ass in 1998.. didn't got any better since then.
Last edited by PurpleSunray on Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

machinesworking wrote:Rewire as it stands makes one DAW lose it's VST plug ins as a 'slave'
No, Rewire does no such thing.

That one DAW, as it stands, is written to disable VST plugins when operating as a rewire slave. That is the decision of the DAW's developers, and has absolutely nothing to do with Rewire itself.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”