Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
PurpleSunray
KVRist

458 posts since 13 Mar, 2012

Postby PurpleSunray; Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:27 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

Architeuthis wrote:Paint dots and lines. That goes into the brightness buffer (add values for said line and dot to the brightness buffer) Then do the brightness decay (de-accumulate ALL pixels). A dot moving across the screen would leave a trail.

Ok, so you want a particle system.
Forget about brightness buffer and read this:
http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/intermed ... nstancing/
;)

Here is a demo code for a fireworks animation:
http://r3dux.org/2010/10/how-to-create- ... l-and-sdl/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjJ-iTIzjgQ
Architeuthis
KVRAF

2667 posts since 27 Jan, 2006, from Phoenix, AZ

Postby Architeuthis; Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:39 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

PurpleSunray wrote:Forget about brightness buffer
no.

It requires accumulating pixels to draw all that detail. I'm creating more of a painting program than something vector-based or "instancing particles."

I'm waiting for someone with basic openGL experience to help me get through this, actually look at my code, run the program through debuggers, do whatever they have to do to figure it out. Actually, the problem is not that I can't code it, the problem right now is that I'm getting an error that makes no f***ing sense. I've tried to work it out for hours and hours. I need to stop this and do something to generate some funds. I'm not going to waste anymore time on this. I can't instantiate an FBO (for my brightness buffer) without getting an error 1286.
Last edited by Architeuthis on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Architeuthis
KVRAF

Postby Architeuthis; Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:44 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

You can't keep track of this many particles required to draw this image, and I don't want to, because that's not even my goal, that's totally the wrong direction for my product. These images were generated with my CPU-based rendering techniques which was too slow. So I need to recreate what I did on the CPU with the GPU. I already did everything I wanted on the CPU.

Architeuthis
KVRAF

Postby Architeuthis; Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:45 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

BTW, you can clearly see lines and dots in this image.

Architeuthis
KVRAF

Postby Architeuthis; Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:50 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

Error 1286 INVALID_OPERATION: http://docs.gl/gl3/glBindFramebuffer
You can see my black/blue/greed/red/white colormap.
By the way, I want to use a colormap to map brightness values to color. That's what all the above images are. Once again, I need a brightness buffer.

PurpleSunray
KVRist

Postby PurpleSunray; Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:57 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

Well, that's not a dot with a trail, moving across the screen :D

About the first one:
Don't know how is that is supposted to animate, from what I have understood from you so far.. you want so slowly bend it out (brightness).

Then it looks like simply keeping a history buffer.
Render your dots and lines, with differnt brightness (brightness is simply the alpha channel).
That glow-effect is a pixel shader while you draw the line (just google for glow shader).
Then do a copy of the backbuffer.
Swap. Clear backbuffer.
Blend the copy of old backbuffer into the current one. On the pixel shader, apply an alpha. Higher alpha lets blend things faster away (that is your decay rate).
Then draw new dots and lines on top of the alpha-belndet old ones.
Copy backbuffer.. swap .. and so.

About the other stuff.. it will all depends how you want to animate things. :D
Last edited by PurpleSunray on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Architeuthis
KVRAF

Postby Architeuthis; Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:02 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

PurpleSunray wrote:Well, that's not a dot with a trail, moving across the screen
Maybe the images I posted doesn't make it obvious. I demonstrate all sorts of graphical effects in these videos. The images are simply made by never decaying any pixels. The user can decay or not decay pixels at any time. All the lines are actually just dots moving across the screen. (demonstrating the CPU-based rendering of course)

https://youtu.be/Pe7IlxqhLxg
https://youtu.be/mtQeXhCrjJs
https://youtu.be/9Fv7J7fa2cc

PurpleSunray wrote:Then it looks like simply keeping a history buffer.
Wish I could do that, but I can't because like I said creating an FBO isn't working.
PurpleSunray
KVRist

Postby PurpleSunray; Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:15 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

Hmm.. you should probaly ask you question again on a 3D dev forum ;)
Idk if there are lot opengl guys arround here. And some "basic knowlege" won't be not enough if you want to make that stuff look WOW not mk.. after animated.
About the FBO - no idea w/o seeing the code :clown:
Architeuthis
KVRAF

Postby Architeuthis; Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:22 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

PurpleSunray wrote:"basic knowlege" won't be not enough if you want to make that stuff look WOW
Huh? It's not the programmers job to make it look good. That's my job. Programmer's job is just get it working.

PurpleSunray wrote:About the FBO - no idea w/o seeing the code :clown:

So look at it, e-mail me details of your fees and I'll get you setup with the code and get it working on your computer.
PurpleSunray
KVRist

Postby PurpleSunray; Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:06 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

Architeuthis wrote:Huh? It's not the programmers job to make it look good. That's my job. Programmer's job is just get it working.

Yeah, but wrong programmer can make you nice design look ugly because at animates at 10fps.
PurpleSunray wrote:So look at it, e-mail me details of your fees and I'll get you setup with the code and get it working on your computer.

Haha, I have a job and a lot of own projets. Don't even have time for most of them.. some free of charge high level smalltalk here on KVR is all can offer :P
Architeuthis
KVRAF

Postby Architeuthis; Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:13 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

This is job is a one time thing, I assure you. If can spend some time on just solving the opengl error (the code is short btw) then that will be worth a lot to me and probably take you little time. If anything you can at least tell me what I'm doing right and rule some things out. If you can't figure it out, it's still worth it to me.
xoxos
Mr Entertainment

11973 posts since 29 Apr, 2002, from i might peeramid

Postby xoxos; Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:28 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

try gamedev or something, lickety split :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha xoxos.net free vst. neither a follower nor a leader be
tagore "where roads are made i lose my way"
where there is certainty, consideration is absent.
PurpleSunray
KVRist

Postby PurpleSunray; Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:40 am Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

He posted on gamedev already. The first reply was like this:

---> IS THIS A JOKE???? <----

Offert my help 4free via PM, but he rejected and wants to pay me fee instead. Not really sure why a 3D animation audio plugin dev should want to buy professional support from an overpriced german automtive suplier company.. :roll:
mystran
KVRAF

4478 posts since 11 Feb, 2006, from Helsinki, Finland

Postby mystran; Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:18 am Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

Probably the easiest way to draw dots is to simply draw a small quad for each one, say instance unit-quads and scale/position them in vertex shader, pass the quad coordinates into the pixel shader too. Then in pixel shader you can use distance from center to figure out what is inside and what is outside the dot (and add some "anti-alias" by blending along the edge).

That said, if you can already draw lines, then I fail to see why drawing dots would be more complicated, as generally speaking it goes the other way (unless you are using GL_LINES, but the video you posted doesn't really look like that).
Image <- plugins | forum
xoxos
Mr Entertainment

11973 posts since 29 Apr, 2002, from i might peeramid

Postby xoxos; Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:17 am Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

PurpleSunray wrote:He posted on gamedev already. The first reply was like this:

dickhead city. superlative authoritarian circle jerk.

but being the most visible game specific forum, one occasionally encounters people who aren't masons who just like to develop :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha xoxos.net free vst. neither a follower nor a leader be
tagore "where roads are made i lose my way"
where there is certainty, consideration is absent.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development