Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Architeuthis
KVRAF

2794 posts since 27 Jan, 2006, from Phoenix, AZ

Postby Architeuthis; Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:55 am Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

mystran wrote:then I fail to see why drawing dots would be more complicated

People, just stop! The problem is now buried under verbose communication. Of course it's my fault for not explaining in detail, but I just wanted to find someone who was willing to take a vague description of the project and take a shot. Anyone who had some extra time on their hands and wanted to earn a few extra bucks would take this job.

The simple problem is I don't know openGL, I'm trying to do something really simple, I'm getting an error trying to add an FBO. It probably has to do with how/when I bind and unbind things. I cannot make any progress on my product until this is taken care of. THE PRODUCT IS SO CLOSE TO BEING FINISHED! All I need is two stupid things. Drawing dots on top of lines and having a brightness buffer. Yes, I agree with everyone, it is simple. I am already drawing lines. It's just a matter of getting the FBO stuff working. After that is taken care of, all the rest of the features is just manipulating variables.

The technique that was suggested is having three fragment shaders and two FBOs. 1. lines, 2. dots, 3. combining into one image. FBO 1 for lines, FBO 2 for dots.

PurpleSunray wrote:Offert my help 4free via PM, but he rejected and wants to pay me fee instead. Not really sure why a 3D animation audio plugin dev should want to buy professional support from an overpriced german automtive suplier company..

I've had 3 or more people who know OpenGL look at my code and fail to tell me where I'm going wrong. I didn't think giving you my code was going to help any... only because it seems like one really needs to dig into it, get the software running, play with the code, etc. Ok. Yes. I will then resort to letting you help me for free and look at the code. Of course at this point you are probably done with this. As frustrated as you might be, I am 10 times more frustrated.

I've spent too much money too much time on this. I ended up paying a few thousand $ over a few months just to get custom C++ line/dot drawing code (running off of the CPU, written from scratch because I wanted it to be drawn a specific way and thought the code could be made efficient, I didn't think a third-party library (Cario, Anti-Grain, etc.) would do it). When I got the CPU usage down to 100% on reasonable settings is when I realized it was such a waste. I took 3 days and a help from some good friends to create the openGL example, already leagues ahead of the CPU version with much less cost.

This: https://youtu.be/70WSnwLvcIE

I am desperately trying to create something great, a cheap product that is simple both in implementation and execution and will be the foundation for my company. Once again, it's so close to being finished. just need get an FBO working and the next few steps will probably go smoothly. At the same time I have a job to do that pays my bills. I've run out of time to be learning openGL. I'm on the cusp of understanding the basics at this point. I would like to start a scratch project and go through a tutorial and really learn it at this point. But I don't have time right now. I have to get this product released ASAP, I just want this nightmare to be over, I am dipping in to the negative financially and it's making me desperate and crazy. I have to get back to my normal job and catch up on my finances.
Last edited by Architeuthis on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:32 am, edited 17 times in total.
Architeuthis
KVRAF

Postby Architeuthis; Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:01 am Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

PurpleSunray wrote:Not really sure why a 3D animation audio plugin dev should want to buy professional support from an overpriced german automtive suplier company.. :roll:

By the way, this is probably the only OpenGL product I will ever release. I already had this product (oscilloscope) working perfectly on the CPU, but it used 20% to 500% CPU on reasonable settings. Above 12.5% (being an 8 core CPU) meant that the scope would start to run at 1 FPS or lower. I *had* to move to OpenGL. And I'm so glad I did. The results I'm getting are beyond my expectations even without having all the features implemented.
Architeuthis
KVRAF

Postby Architeuthis; Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:58 am Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

The thing I am most excited about for this product is that, when people make youtube videos and need to show waveforms, they will have easy access to my oscilloscope product and have total control over the look of the scope. One can make it look colorful or creepy for artistic endeavors (some settings tend to have a 1950s sci-fi aesthetic) or flat and monochrome for teaching purposes, or anything inbetween. You will be able to show a hi-res image of waveforms in your video and no longer have to rely on other audio plugin oscilloscopes that are pixelly, sometimes drawing single-pixel-thick lines (difficult to see over a youtube video), and end up hurting the overall quality of a video production that can sometimes take a lot of time and effort.

Edit: Yes there will be a 1D mono/stereo mode for normal oscilloscope function, I know the 2D stuff is not so useful unless you are showing a chaos generator algorithm or specific 2D/3D sound generator.
PurpleSunray
KVRian

587 posts since 13 Mar, 2012

Postby PurpleSunray; Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:19 am Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

erm.. alright dude.. ^^ send a PM about what's wrong with your FBO.
Next time just plan some time on the project when you need to learn to new stuff. OpenGL is a very powerfull tool, but you need to learn how use it. On opengl there always about 100+ different solutions to solve a given problem, but not all of them are good.
Architeuthis
KVRAF

Postby Architeuthis; Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:41 am Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

PurpleSunray. You did it.

I'm now drawing to an FBO.
Architeuthis
KVRAF

Postby Architeuthis; Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:41 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

<delete post>
Last edited by Architeuthis on Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Architeuthis
KVRAF

Postby Architeuthis; Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:28 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

<delete post>
Architeuthis
KVRAF

Postby Architeuthis; Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:26 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

Ok, here we go. I made a flowchart describing how binding textures and FBOs might work for my pixel decay render loop.

http://i.imgur.com/rVvTNGb.png
PurpleSunray
KVRian

587 posts since 13 Mar, 2012

Postby PurpleSunray; Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:34 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

I still don't fully get what kind of scene you wanna draw.. but it looks hugly complex to me.
For that history-buffer effect, try like:
Use 2 textures for histroy-buffer and rotate it as FBO attachement.
Render texture1 (map to rectangle mesh) + alpha and your stuff (dots and lines), into texture0
Then render texture0 to screen.
Now flip textures. Attach texture1 to FBO and use texture0 on the scene (contains the last frame).

but again.. opengl has so many ways of doing stuff.. no idea if my plan is good one :D
Architeuthis
KVRAF

Postby Architeuthis; Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:59 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

Ok, I think this is correct: http://i.imgur.com/dQqcFJ0.png

The reason it's complex is because I want to have complete control over the math behind blending pixels, so essentially I won't have GL_BLEND enabled.
Architeuthis
KVRAF

Postby Architeuthis; Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:13 pm Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

Guys, I found an openGL programmer! I think we're good here. Well, I'm glad I understand enough about openGL, now I can communicate with my programmer effectively. Thanks again, PurpleSunray!

See you.
Mayae
KVRian

509 posts since 1 Jan, 2013, from Denmark

Postby Mayae; Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:56 am Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

Architeuthis wrote:Guys, I found an openGL programmer! I think we're good here. Well, I'm glad I understand enough about openGL, now I can communicate with my programmer effectively. Thanks again, PurpleSunray!

See you.
Good luck, it looks cool :)
Guillaume Piolat
KVRist

103 posts since 21 Sep, 2015, from Grenoble

Postby Guillaume Piolat; Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:17 am Re: Looking for an OpenGL programmer (not much experience needed!)

Auburn Sounds proposes development services: https://www.auburnsounds.com/services.html
I've spent years of my life on OpenGL, if you need an invoice let's get in touch.
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development