Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
binaryoblivion
KVRer

26 posts since 18 Feb, 2016

Postby binaryoblivion; Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:35 am Reverb.com hosting plugin without permission

I recently released my first plugin, and today I noticed that Reverb.com has added it to their software section (https://reverb.com/software). Not just a link, they are actually hosting the plugin. I am sure they would take it down if I asked them to, but I'm just wondering how other plugin developers feel about their free plugins being hosted by third party websites, and Reverb in particular? Should I be flattered or annoyed that they are hosting my plugin without my permission?
mystran
KVRAF

4480 posts since 11 Feb, 2006, from Helsinki, Finland

Postby mystran; Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:15 am Re: Reverb.com hosting plugin without permission

binaryoblivion wrote:I recently released my first plugin, and today I noticed that Reverb.com has added it to their software section (https://reverb.com/software). Not just a link, they are actually hosting the plugin. I am sure they would take it down if I asked them to, but I'm just wondering how other plugin developers feel about their free plugins being hosted by third party websites, and Reverb in particular? Should I be flattered or annoyed that they are hosting my plugin without my permission?

This happens fairly regularly with various sites and I wouldn't really lose my sleep over trying to police it for free plugins, but in the past where I've seen it happen I've sent a couple sites a request to put provide a link back to my page and at least redirect the download to my server (generally citing the desire to ensure that everyone gets latests version in case of updates).

No idea about reverb.com in particular and I'm generally pretty relaxed about this (as long as the above two conditions are satisfied), but in my experience you can usually fix the situation if you contact the site and explain your concerns to them. While there might be the occasional (typically a little "shadier") site that just doesn't care, I'd generally expect at least anyone doing actual business to respond if you talk to them. :)
Image <- plugins | forum
nonnaci
KVRist

136 posts since 7 Feb, 2017

Postby nonnaci; Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:49 am Re: Reverb.com hosting plugin without permission

Problem is with updates. If you release new versions, then it's on you to contact them which factors into the cost of overhead/support.
nineofkings
KVRAF

1626 posts since 9 Apr, 2011

Postby nineofkings; Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:11 am Re: Reverb.com hosting plugin without permission

Reverb is a reputable site - which means they'd probably be happy to oblige if you asked them to provide users with a link rather than a direct download from their own servers.

Killer plugin by the way! Quickly becoming one of my favorite choruses.
No_Use
KVRAF

2129 posts since 13 Mar, 2004

Postby No_Use; Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:16 am Re: Reverb.com hosting plugin without permission

Weird site indeed, seems they're also hosting Melda stuff for example (MDrummer Small) and require log in to download while on the Melda site it's available without (could of course be that they have some kind of deal with Melda).
skipscada
KVRian

1208 posts since 22 Oct, 2004, from Schmocation

Postby skipscada; Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:23 am Re: Reverb.com hosting plugin without permission

binaryoblivion wrote:Should I be flattered or annoyed?

Why limit yourself to one? Choose both!
binaryoblivion
KVRer

26 posts since 18 Feb, 2016

Postby binaryoblivion; Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:39 pm Re: Reverb.com hosting plugin without permission

Thanks for all of the replies! I have decided that I am fine with Reberb hosting the plugin, but I am going to reach out and ask them to add a link back to my website.

mystran wrote:I've seen it happen I've sent a couple sites a request to put provide a link back to my page

I think that's what irks me: the fact that they didn't link back to my website at all.

nonnaci wrote:Problem is with updates. If you release new versions, then it's on you to contact them which factors into the cost of overhead/support.

I notice that they tout their "Reverb SYNC" feature, which they claim notifies users when a new update is released. That would require that reverb staff manually check my website from time to time to see if I have updated the plugin?!

nineofkings wrote:Killer plugin by the way!

Thank you! I appreciate the kind words.

No_Use wrote:Weird site indeed, seems they're also hosting Melda stuff for example (MDrummer Small) and require log in to download while on the Melda site it's available without (could of course be that they have some kind of deal with Melda).

I assume that they have a commercial arrangement with the other plugin developers such as Melda and Softube, since as well as free plugins by those developers they also host commercial plugins.

skipscada wrote:Why limit yourself to one? Choose both!

Alright, in that case I am "flannoyed"!
ReverbSYNC
KVRer

1 post since 21 Mar, 2017

Postby ReverbSYNC; Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:26 am Re: Reverb.com hosting plugin without permission

Hi Everyone!

Neal here from Reverb.com. I’m the SYNC Category Manager. First, we really admire the community that has been built here at KVR- this is an awesome place to hang and lear.

We were so excited about sharing the OSL Chorus with our community that we moved a bit too fast in getting the plugin listed. We had a chance to chat with Jonathan at OSL and are excited to share more of his upcoming stuff! Per his request, we changed the listing to link directly to OSL's site. Many of our plugin partners prefer that we host the downloads, we made that assumption and should not have.

All of us at Reverb are gearheads and music lovers. We are just getting started building the SYNC experience and we truly want your partnership and feedback. We want to build a plugin experience that people love.

Looking forward to hearing what hearing what everybody is currently into, checking out, and working on!

Drop us a line anytime!

Thanks
Neal
nealg@reverb.com

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development