good development environment?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So i want to start doing plugin development but im not really sure what to use can someone explain like what a good place to start is. I hear about juce but yea. I have experience in math and production like fourier stuff synthesis blah blah and i know about pointers and memory ect and have some experience in c++ i was wondering if someone could recommend me something preferably still being somewhat low level i would like to avoid using scripting languages if it limits you alot.

To get started, I just grabbed a coding example in c++ (Revitar) and picked it apart, recompiling it for 64-bit. Once I had that running, I used the VST SDK 2.4 to start my own VSTi. Next step is to wrap it up into an AU for Mac, then tackle Windows versions. Once that's done, hopefully I've earned my stripes and will choose a cross-platform framework to use.

I didn't want to start with a framework as it hides pretty much everything from you. While it makes things easier in some respects, I'd rather know the nuts and bolts do that when (not if) I customize, I hopefully know what I am doing.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it! There are a couple of scripting plugins out there that will let you bang up a quick prototype to test an algorithm or something, and are definitely worth looking into, but c++ pretty much IS what you'll need to use to roll your own plugins.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

These tutorials use WDL-OL to create a polyphonic subtractive synth from start to finish. It's a great place to start. (I'm the author :wink: )

I've had great experience with JUCE as well. If you're comfortable with DSP and pointers/memory, you can still write most of the audio processing code using raw C++, and just use WDL-OL or JUCE for "the application around it" (which usually ends up being quite a big portion of the code).

Since it's C++, it gets more low-level than scripting languages usually do. It's fun and very rewarding. Enjoy! :)

If you start with JUCE, you'll have to eventually GPL your product or buy their license which may be problematic if you intend to mix other third-party libraries. I suggest starting with WDL-OL as to test the waters and then later move to JUCE if there're enough features that you don't want to code up.

nonnaci wrote:buy their license which may be problematic if you intend to mix other third-party libraries.
Why? Nothing problematic here.

Miles1981 wrote:
nonnaci wrote:buy their license which may be problematic if you intend to mix other third-party libraries.
Oh. I meant if you plan to release in GPL of which all your other third-party libraries must also be GPL compatible.

nonnaci wrote:
Miles1981 wrote:
Oh. I meant if you plan to release in GPL of which all your other third-party libraries must also be GPL compatible.
Not problematic any more, if you're using the VST3 SDK.

https://github.com/steinbergmedia/vst3s ... ICENSE.txt
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”