Mixbus Scripting Engine (Lua)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's built with JUCE, so should handle AU, VST3, AAX...

Lua scripting seems the feature to have. Next Loomer product (a Juggernaut midi multidimensional sequencer) will have this feature also.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

Alpha Trion wrote:
Groundhog #31684 wrote:
Alpha Trion wrote:
Ivan_C wrote:Reaper and JSFX are very cool to do the same thing also, and you can find a lot of examples on the Cockos forums
I tried out Reaper's and it was solid, definitely, but I felt some features were missing that ardour/mixbus provided healthy support for.
Could you give an example of a missing feature?
Mainly things like being able to iterate through an array of all track/route names, midi events, regions, transients etc, writing your own inline displays as Ben said above, or being able to write your own automation, I even found out today you can side chain routes to one another.
Ah okay, so - apart from the channel strip graphics - it's mostly API sugar you mean. The transients are the only one that would require copying an existing script to save head scratching, the rest are there in one form or another.

I'd like to see small windows in the Reaper mixer though. Are they mouseable?

Currently the "inline" plugin GUIs are for display only. Here are some other examples:

But you can show any plugin controls as a slider in the mixer strip, so yes you can put the frequency knob for singen in the strip like this:

-Ben at Harrison

Yes, that's better than the Reaper knobs in the mixer, I prefer the combined slider/text controls with the bigger target area and text. As long as the text switches colour like in those images so it doesn't become near invisible a la Tracktion. Although that does encourage users to keep parameters closer to a perfect 11.

Groundhog #31684 wrote: Ah okay, so - apart from the channel strip graphics - it's mostly API sugar you mean. The transients are the only one that would require copying an existing script to save head scratching, the rest are there in one form or another.

I'd like to see small windows in the Reaper mixer though. Are they mouseable?
Heh, I like that term "API sugar". It's pretty apt, though. Anything to reduce the friction of getting an idea into a tangible form.

I love the idea of the display though. I remember I had an idea for a delay unit that displayed a dot (or two if stereo) that pinged it's self against the x axis and got shorter and dimmer over time. I got it mostly functional until I realized math is very hard.

Coincidentally, if you wanted to check out the plugin from the OP in action, it's actually bundled in the Mixbus 4 and 32c demos!
Brick is no longer jickable.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”