Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
Pheek
KVRer

17 posts since 28 Sep, 2004

Postby Pheek; Sat May 13, 2017 2:15 pm How to get in touch with a developer?

This might be a long shot in the dark but at least I'll try.

Basically, to make a short story, I'm a pretty experienced electronic musician (http://pheek.bandcamp.com) and mix engineer (http://audioservices.studio) running multiple labels since way too long. I've toured many years and plan to do it more intensely in the incoming, to mostly play festivals like MUTEK (http://www.mutek.org).

I buy countless plugins each year but my dream and vision would be to be more involved in the process of the design of a soft synth. I'd like to have something for my productions and shows, plus of course, help with promo and sales. I've had good start with other plugins development but it seems that reaching out to developers is very, very hard... just like reaching to labels or artists. Sometimes, worse. Not sure why!

I do not have the time and energy to make myself one. I know how much work it involves to do it properly and I'd rather team up to share my strenghts than having to turn myself into a programmer (or Reaktor/max geek).

So, any tips on how to reach out to people?
And yes, I'd be more than willing to invest in such a project.
deastman
KVRAF

6470 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby deastman; Sat May 13, 2017 2:48 pm Re: How to get in touch with a developer?

This topic comes up frequently. Basically, your options are to hire someone to make exactly what you want, or to form a partnership with a developer. Hiring them will be extremely costly and probably not worth it. If you want to partner with a developer, the question is: what are you bringing to the table? Do you have strong name recognition which can help to sell products? (For example, is your name Vince Clarke?). Is your concept revolutionary and groundbreaking and will change the face of music technology forever? If not, why should a developer bother? They probably have plenty of ideas of their own. Of course, the third option is to roll up your sleeves and learn to code, but you've already said that you aren't willing to do that.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)
Pheek
KVRer

Postby Pheek; Sat May 13, 2017 3:13 pm Re: How to get in touch with a developer?

Thanks for the honest reply. I find it a bit disappointing that the name and the idea are the deal breaker here. I don't think I'm Vince Clark but certainly, have an important reach, more than what some developers have on their own.
I'll continue my searches in the meantime!
stratum
KVRian

1362 posts since 29 May, 2012

Postby stratum; Sat May 13, 2017 4:26 pm Re: How to get in touch with a developer?

Having spent about two years on a dead end project (two actually, one speech recognizer, and one back up project that resembles a simple audio editor - or, perhaps three, lets not forget the "me-too" guitar amp modeller every dsp hobbyist makes at least once in his life time), I'd say I'm willing to listen if you have a damn good idea :lol: No promises of time availability or top-notch dsp engineering, but those are not the worst deal breakers. A more serious problem is that musicians already seem to have everything they need due to the supply over exceeding the demand, so I'm quite puzzled as to why you are seeking a developer.
~stratum~
Smashed Transistors
KVRist

114 posts since 10 Oct, 2014

Postby Smashed Transistors; Sun May 14, 2017 1:10 am Re: How to get in touch with a developer?

Hi,

There are also modular environments that can allow non coders to make custom instruments.

It even exists for hardware. See for example the Axoloti project http://www.axoloti.com/.
What I really enjoy with the Axoloti is that people share new modules and help each other.
See you here and there... Youtube, Google Play, SoundCloud...
Lejurai
KVRian

1242 posts since 8 Apr, 2013

Postby Lejurai; Sun May 14, 2017 1:23 am Re: How to get in touch with a developer?

My wild guess would be that contact a dev whos instrument(s) you already like? :P

If you love the sound of AAS stuff then the contact form would be here :D

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/contact/
DNAdisaster
KVRist

32 posts since 31 Jan, 2011

Postby DNAdisaster; Sun May 14, 2017 3:19 am Re: How to get in touch with a developer?

Is this a business venture, or is it purely towards creating something that you'd like to be able to use? I'm a fairly experienced developer, and I'm often excited to contribute to projects, depending on the idea. However I also have a day job as a software engineer, so I'm not able to guarantee much in terms of how much time I could dedicate.

I guess my point is, if you had a cool idea that you were willing to make open source, it might be compelling for me and people like myself to contribute.
xoxos
Mr Entertainment

12013 posts since 29 Apr, 2002, from i might peeramid

Postby xoxos; Sun May 14, 2017 7:17 am Re: How to get in touch with a developer?

yeh i'd say truth is, as evinced, there are tons of developers who don't rigorously conform to deastman's depiction of professionalism above :)

as you can see from the code snippets in some of the threads in the dsp forum, building an audio process doesn't have to be that intensive.. there are oscillator et c. ideas that take two minutes to type out tops. loads of dipshits will deny it but that's reality. i can fart out a dozen vsts a day easy some days.

there are days i'd drop a vst for a packet of digestives (can't get em here) but there are terms for this tier of practice -

eg. i can only release vst 2.4 for windows due to SE wrapper. some folks may have a ton of chops in one region but be weak on others, like the OS you intend to use, graphics, thinking about dsp or thinking about interactivity, et c.

people with money are like ross perot on SNL - i've got money, i want something, and that's as much thought as it takes.

i would recommend instead, you describe something about what you want, what you want it to run on. the scope and scale of the project. just stock filters and oscs or a cepstral process. (you didn't ask for me so you don't know me and that's good because i have other priorities atm :) )
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha xoxos.net free vst. neither a follower nor a leader be
tagore "where roads are made i lose my way"
where there is certainty, consideration is absent.
stratum
KVRian

Postby stratum; Sun May 14, 2017 12:09 pm Re: How to get in touch with a developer?

as you can see from the code snippets in some of the threads in the dsp forum, building an audio process doesn't have to be that intensive.. there are oscillator et c. ideas that take two minutes to type out tops. loads of dipshits will deny it but that's reality. i can fart out a dozen vsts a day easy some days.

For every idea that is so easy to implement, somebody will be giving it away for free.

people with money are like ross perot on SNL - i've got money, i want something, and that's as much thought as it takes.

Even these people can spend enough time to check whether an alternative implementation exists that costs $0.
~stratum~
Pheek
KVRer

Postby Pheek; Sun May 14, 2017 5:04 pm Re: How to get in touch with a developer?

thanks everyone for your answers! This is giving me a few good hints.

As a musician, I pretty much have a way of working that has been changing a bit over the last 20 years although, there's no real solution that provides me an easy way to do what I do. I've built annoying macros in Ableton but they're a pain to use. I used to work for an audio related startup I'm not allowed to name (NDA) but working with researchers/developers there who were studied how I was working was a really useful experience in understanding what I do, how I do it, what do I need and what is my target goal.

I've been trying to contact a few developers but it seems people don't reply to emails even though my solid background (I'm also a sound engineer teacher). But I guess I probably didn't knock on the right doors.

I like the idea of open source but I'd be really more driven to develop a project in link with my studio, such as developing a sound. People who know my mix/mastering or productions know I have a very specific sound. That, is something to build around I think.

no?

I don't guaranty millions but I think there's more room to build something meaningful together than everyone in their own bubble...
stratum
KVRian

Postby stratum; Sun May 14, 2017 5:16 pm Re: How to get in touch with a developer?

I'd suggest finding a DAW producer company that you can travel to and walking right into their door. It's unlikely that you'll be able to explain your problem any other way.
~stratum~
PurpleSunray
KVRian

707 posts since 13 Mar, 2012

Postby PurpleSunray; Mon May 15, 2017 2:06 am Re: How to get in touch with a developer?

Another idea:
Make yourself "visible" to the company you want to work with.
On a company I was working before, we had a "MVP Program".
That was bascially a list of users that are very active on forums / social media on promoting our product or to help others with it.
If you are on that list, you can be an "Insider". They receive alpha & beta-versions and a special contact email address where they can report issue / ideas to.
Or you clould be a "MVP" (very active ppl). They are part of alpha & beta-programs, are invited to headquartes for a talk with devs once a year and have a dedicated contact person at Product Manager to report issues and ideas.

No idea if any audio companies do something similar... but if yes, that would be another idea to bring your ideas onto their table.
Guillaume Piolat
KVRist

124 posts since 21 Sep, 2015, from Grenoble

Postby Guillaume Piolat; Mon May 15, 2017 2:33 am Re: How to get in touch with a developer?

I was going to tell the same, in some companies alpha testers may have a big say in how software is done. The earlier and shittier the alpha, the most impact you can have. Developers may not do the synth you want but software need a conversation anyway.
xoxos
Mr Entertainment

12013 posts since 29 Apr, 2002, from i might peeramid

Postby xoxos; Mon May 15, 2017 1:53 pm Re: How to get in touch with a developer?

Pheek wrote:I don't guaranty millions but I think there's more room to build something meaningful together than everyone in their own bubble...

everybody thinks they are paolo soleri, and that his ideas are great, they just need a little augmentation from someone with their special refined interests.. and why can't these alleged geniuses be open to feedback from people who laughably have absolutely no perspective on the issue arcology is posed as a solution for.

i mean whatever paolo soleri.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha xoxos.net free vst. neither a follower nor a leader be
tagore "where roads are made i lose my way"
where there is certainty, consideration is absent.
PurpleSunray
KVRian

707 posts since 13 Mar, 2012

Postby PurpleSunray; Tue May 16, 2017 4:47 am Re: How to get in touch with a developer?

xoxos wrote:
Pheek wrote:I don't guaranty millions but I think there's more room to build something meaningful together than everyone in their own bubble...

everybody thinks they are paolo soleri, and that his ideas are great, they just need a little augmentation from someone with their special refined interests.. and why can't these alleged geniuses be open to feedback from people who laughably have absolutely no perspective on the issue arcology is posed as a solution for.

i mean whatever paolo soleri.

yeah, and every dev thinks he is Linus must show the rest of world how smug, cheeky and resistant to learning he is. the idea doesn't matter, its all about to show that your the only true nerd.
i mean whatever Linus.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development