Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
quikquak
KVRist

383 posts since 6 Aug, 2005, from England

Postby quikquak; Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:00 am Re: Easy Licensing Solution

Do you think you're speaking to a bunch of green horns?
stratum
KVRAF

1845 posts since 29 May, 2012

Postby stratum; Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:16 am Re: Easy Licensing Solution

Do you think you're speaking to a bunch of green horns?

There is something wrong with millennials, but I couldn't yet figure out.
~stratum~
quikquak
KVRist

Postby quikquak; Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:03 pm Re: Easy Licensing Solution

You can't blame them really...

"Elon Musk invents bus stop, waits for applause, internet LOLs"
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/1 ... _bus_stop/
volkanozyilmaz
KVRist

47 posts since 16 Oct, 2004, from Istanbul / Turkey

Postby volkanozyilmaz; Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:50 am Re: Easy Licensing Solution

You can now use our C++ client library to save valuable time. Our newly developed C++ client library is ready to use to ensure a painless experience for you and your team. You don't need to do bug fixes for querying the license in your code anymore!

New Feature: C++ Client Library Ready
quikquak
KVRist

Postby quikquak; Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:57 am Re: Easy Licensing Solution

What happens if a hacker recognises your code calls or path search text and replaces them with NOPs or 'return EXIT_SUCCESS?'
Or am I being silly?
mystran
KVRAF

4979 posts since 11 Feb, 2006, from Helsinki, Finland

Postby mystran; Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:04 pm Re: Easy Licensing Solution

quikquak wrote:What happens if a hacker recognises your code calls or path search text and replaces them with NOPs or 'return EXIT_SUCCESS?'
Or am I being silly?

A real hacker will probably just write their own version of the plugin (or application), as it's way more fun than breaking yours.

A cracker will NOP over the checks and your best bet for avoiding that is to have enough different checks spread all over your binary (also spread the data used to check!) that hopefully they'll get bored trying to find them all and move on to some easier target.
Image <- plugins | forum
quikquak
KVRist

Postby quikquak; Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:13 am Re: Easy Licensing Solution

I thought h/cr ackers didn’t got bored. I thought they just got more and more excited and wiggle in their seats, rubbing their hands together, ready to find out what you’ve done next.. like the kids that they are...
mystran
KVRAF

4979 posts since 11 Feb, 2006, from Helsinki, Finland

Postby mystran; Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:31 am Re: Easy Licensing Solution

quikquak wrote:I thought h/cr ackers didn’t got bored. I thought they just got more and more excited and wiggle in their seats, rubbing their hands together, ready to find out what you’ve done next.. like the kids that they are...

In other words... you have no idea what a "hacker" even means.

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#what_is should give you an idea, with some quotes for emphasis:

The Jargon File contains a bunch of definitions of the term ‘hacker’, most having to do with technical adeptness and a delight in solving problems and overcoming limits. If you want to know how to become a hacker, though, only two are really relevant.

There is a community, a shared culture, of expert programmers and networking wizards that traces its history back through decades to the first time-sharing minicomputers and the earliest ARPAnet experiments. The members of this culture originated the term ‘hacker’. Hackers built the Internet. Hackers made the Unix operating system what it is today. Hackers make the World Wide Web work. If you are part of this culture, if you have contributed to it and other people in it know who you are and call you a hacker, you're a hacker.

[...]

There is another group of people who loudly call themselves hackers, but aren't. These are people (mainly adolescent males) who get a kick out of breaking into computers and phreaking the phone system. Real hackers call these people ‘crackers’ and want nothing to do with them. Real hackers mostly think crackers are lazy, irresponsible, and not very bright, and object that being able to break security doesn't make you a hacker any more than being able to hotwire cars makes you an automotive engineer. Unfortunately, many journalists and writers have been fooled into using the word ‘hacker’ to describe crackers; this irritates real hackers no end.

You have hackers to thank for the fact that you are even surfing the web right now, because without hackers the whole thing would probably not exist at all. As I self-identify as a hacker, I find it highly offensive in a very personal way when people mis-use the term.
Image <- plugins | forum
quikquak
KVRist

Postby quikquak; Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:04 am Re: Easy Licensing Solution

Haha, sure. I said ‘h/cr’didn’t I? I’m sorry it covers a definition you like. You knew who I meant anyway.
Previous

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development