Profiling

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How do you profile your vsts? I tried the vs2017 profiler with attaching to a running process (FL studio) but it did not work properbly and i couldn't get any information about the cpu usage of my vst dll.
Does anyone have some information how to profile correctly?

Sometimes visual studio profiler fails when some other profiler has overridden the microsoft debugging toolset with another version.
Recently I have installed AMD CodeXL and visual studio profiler no longer works. Not too bad, because CodeXL looks better.
~stratum~

No problems with VC2017 profiling and debugging with Reaper. Plus, reaper and FLstudio both have CPU usage monitors anyways.

I profile the code on standalone versions. As such, I can use any tools, on any platform.
My usual choices are vTune or advisor (free on Linux for open source projects), PAPI with HPC toolkit or valgrind. Then I can use the "tools" provided by IDEs like VS or Xcode, but never tried the former and the latter is no usuable IMHO (or more exactly, couldn't figure out the info I wanted from it).

Remember AMD CodeAnalyst ? It used to be barely useful. But its successor CodeXL has grown into a useful CPU profiler in my opinion. A welcome middle ground between Very Sleepy and Intel VTune Amplifier.
Checkout our VST3/VST2/AU/AAX/LV2:
Inner Pitch | Lens | Couture | Panagement | Graillon

Thanks for your thoughts! I am able to use the VS profiler now. It was an configuration error on my side. But I am not statisfied with the informations I can get yet. I would like to create or get some more details and maybe visualizations on the problematic areas in my code. Maybe I need some better configuration.

And I am going to try out CodeXL. Is it possible to install it into VS2017 and still use the default profiler?

Is it possible to install it into VS2017 and still use the default profiler?
Yes, but not with VS2013. Either VS2017 or CodeXL conflicts with VS2013 profiler on my machine.

edit: Just checked again. VS2013 profiler works on wizard-generated projects too. Perhaps I have a problem with compiler settings on the other project.
~stratum~

I wonder how CodeXL works on Intel cores. Even if it's not on a par with vTune, a free tool that can do sampling profiling on hardware counters on Windows would be nice.

I wonder how CodeXL works on Intel cores. Even if it's not on a par with vTune, a free tool that can do sampling profiling on hardware counters on Windows would be nice.
It has an awkward GUI and seems to incorrectly recognize GCC generated codes' callstack when it is mixed with Microsoft c++ compiler code. Other than that, it's OK. At least better than VerySleepy in that it strips away calls to sleep, thread context switches etc, if it does that correctly that is. If your app is slowed down by a spinlock that does not cause a context switch and keeps spinning and wasting cpu, I'm not sure you'll see that with CodeXL (or with visual studio profiler, for that matter).
~stratum~

Miles1981 wrote:I wonder how CodeXL works on Intel cores. Even if it's not on a par with vTune, a free tool that can do sampling profiling on hardware counters on Windows would be nice.
Last time I tried it shown assembly line and corresponding cycles, but I don't think it was using the other performance counters.
Checkout our VST3/VST2/AU/AAX/LV2:
Inner Pitch | Lens | Couture | Panagement | Graillon

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”